1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How to use Dye?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Chandrak, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chandrak

Chandrak Phantasmal Quasar

I started on a planet with oodles and oodles of flowers, so I want to mess around with the armor dye, which supposedly was in already (according to some post like back in July, I think), though I suppose it might be taken out.

I've made a vial of dye, but cant figure out how to apply it to my armor. Anyone know how?

2. ArcaneMusic

ArcaneMusic Big Damn Hero

Well, It's still downloading on steam for me, but perhaps try to make something along the lines of a dye vat or a loom?
    Or, maybe it's just a good item for trading, and that's all.

3. Chandrak

Well, there's a loom type thing, for making clothes, but theres no kind of slotting interface for it, just recipes for making clothes, and none of those involve dye. And its not just a trade item - there's screenshots and dev posts about dyeing armors, so I know its not that.

4. Nanook13

Nanook13 Orbital Explorer

I too have crafted dye but don't know how to use it. It says it's capable of dying armor but I wonder if it means the clothing crafted on the loom and it is simply a typo. I also wonder if we are able to combine dyes. red+blue=purple, red+yellow=orange, or red+blue+yellow=brown. That sort of thing.

5. Kaeso

Kaeso Industrial Terraformer

Have you tried unequipping the armor that you want to dye, and then accessing a Loom or Workbench? Recipes that include armor won't show as craftable if you're wearing the required armor (at least they don't for me).

6. Chandrak

Yeah, I checked that out, didnt seem to do anything.

7. DWAlpha

DWAlpha Pangalactic Porcupine

You also need glass to make the dye too. I haven't worked out how to make glass though...:(

I have found sand, dried, fine and normal but can't work out how to turn it into glass.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  8. Athauxan

Athauxan Pangalactic Porcupine

You'll have to find/steal/buy a block of glass from somewhere before you unlock the recipe. I raided some glass blocks from an Apex dungeon and it unlocked the recipe for them. Uses the plain sand from what I remember.

9. DWAlpha

DWAlpha Pangalactic Porcupine

I stole glass too but never got the recipe.

10. Cereto

Cereto Subatomic Cosmonaut

You have to smelt fine sand at the furnance to make glass.
    I have all dye but I can't dye any piece of armor or clothing, and crafted and tested most.

Finn Learson likes this.
  11. Ecleptic

Ecleptic Subatomic Cosmonaut

I am also having the same problem

12. Sephu

Sephu Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd like to know too, Perhaps it's just unfinished. It'd probably be pretty easy to figure out otherwise. Remember, Early beta. ;D

13. Ryaki

Ryaki Big Damn Hero

Same problem, Got 3 Dyes of lovely primary colors now... but no clue how to put it on this sweater I found.

14. Ecleptic

Ecleptic Subatomic Cosmonaut

is there any way to get the dev's attention?

15. Raybrandt

Raybrandt Jackpot!

I'm guessing its on a tier two or three crafting thing that lets you do it. I just hit tier 2 after absolutely dominating the UFO, so I'll check tomorrow and hope I can find an answer.

16. Chandrak

Im not so sure we should be trying to get devs to answer how-to questions for us. Currently, Im chalkin it up to an unimplemented feature at the moment, or that its a higher tier.

It could also be a schematic or tech thing, who knows at this point.

17. Pentigan

Pentigan Subatomic Cosmonaut

Perhaps you have to use it on the item or another dye similar to how you repair pickaxes with ore?

18. Chandrak

Nope, tried that too.

19. GennyP

GennyP Tentacle Wrangler

I figured it out. When you reach tier 3 you can make a paint tool. It takes one of each dye to make. I assume you also need dye for it to work. Not sure I can see it but can't craft it due to lack of titanium.

20. Ssj782

Ssj782 Cosmic Narwhal

Nope. That tool only lets you paint backgrounds. Doesn't do anything with gear... Btw, my ship's background is now a lovely shade of red!

Cithulhu, GoodTalk and Nearo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.