Tutorial How to successfully pack and unpack .pak files

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by SexualRhinoceros, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Arkadiusz103pl

Arkadiusz103pl Space Spelunker

Ok, uploading, but my english is shitty.

2. Arkadiusz103pl

Arkadiusz103pl Space Spelunker

Fck sorry bro, i cant convert video.Windows movie maker just crashed...Try to use the program in this topic.Look in page 3

3. Desolator

Desolator Pangalactic Porcupine

i'm not able to. all my anti-virus programs arent letting me download. i can help you with uploading your video though is the video you uploaded a wmv file? originally a wlmp file?

4. Milgo

Milgo Yeah, You!

Your AWESOME! THANKS 1+

5. Desolator

how do i use? just downloaded it. what now?

6. intervencion

intervencion Existential Complex

Same.

7. Desolator

can't mod until the make it easier to unpack... probably list that as an issue w/ furious koala

8. Mechageno

Mechageno Starship Captain

I'm sure you could put all the files needed to pack and unpack in one location and run the command prompt with a batch file so you don't have to type it in every time. Also i tried the GUI and the unpack button stays grayed after i make all selections, what could i be doing wrong? Anyways It's pretty easy to unpack files, I literally just did it, just follow Mr.rhino's instructions lol. I made a batch file to make it easier. Here's what i did in steps:
    1. made a new folder called modding(you can name the folder anything it doesn't matter)
    2. made a copy of packed.pak in my modding folder
    3. created a batch file called pack.bat (which is pretty easy, all you do is create a text file and rename the extension from .txt to .bat
    4. put all the locations in the order specified by Mr.rhino the 3rd
    5.ran the batch file...
    6.waited... lol
    7. all unpacked :)
    so ya if anyone needs any detailed explanations or personal help let me know, i don't mind helping.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    graynox likes this.
  9. rjm544

rjm544 Aquatic Astronaut

Oh the joys of being a mac gamer (I know, I know). I got my pak file unpacked, but could someone tell me what I have to do with the mod(s) I want now and how to re-pack it?
    Beyond the repacking process I'm confused on the order of the steps; Do I need to use the mod manager? If so do I unpack, then use it, then repack? Should I just unpack, put things in the mods folder, then repack? Do I still need to modify the bootstrap.config file?

Sorry if someone's already covered this or it should be obvious, I tried to read everything but I missed it if someone said it. If there's a different thread that explains this, if someone could point me in that direction I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys :)

Edit: unpacked, ran mod loader (wouldn't run until it was unpacked) then tried to open Starbound using the old asset file with the unpacked one removed. It now not only works but the mod is installed. Totally confused as to how that worked but it did. Going to attempt with another one or two mods, would still like explanation of why the unpacked file became irrelevant, yet it had to be there for the mod manager to work and how to go about things in the future.

10. Mechageno

Well, you haven't had to edit the bootstrap config since angry koala. I'll try packing the mods and putting the pack into the mods folder to see if that works and I'll let you know if I'm successful.

intervencion likes this.
  11. It's not the Developer's fault you guys can't follow instructions. The tools work perfectly fine.

You do not NEED to repack. If you are making a mod, then make the mod. You do not need to pack up your mods. The same features are still in place. Put things in your mods folder and you are good to go. There is no repacking necessary in any case. You only need to unpack to get access to default assets to look at them or copy/paste stuff.

Sidewinder likes this.
  12. intervencion

intervencion Existential Complex

¬_¬

AnarchistTheory and Melanchoni like this.
  13. Mechageno

Ya i just tested it and I didn't have to pack the mod, so ya awesome :).

14. Electroflux

Electroflux Industrial Terraformer

Any solution to previous posts that have been ignored?

As soon as I open it, it immediately closes. None of the programs posted here work with this problem.

15. Sketch2347

Sketch2347 Phantasmal Quasar

kay i havent seen any question as straight forward as this is about to be, i used to edit ONE DAGGER in the game, i would reskin the teired daggers to a skin i wanted for each tier of dagger IE i have a black knife skin i like to use as my kinfe no matter what tier im using, this used to be easy i would find the knife open with paint,net and make it look like whatever, is this just as hard with all thse steps or is there any way around ALL this, all i want is one texture different. Ive unpacked the files HOW I DONT KNOW because all i got were error messages, needless to say in my assets folder, i have another folder called "starbound_assets" i edit the tier one dagger in that file and still nothing in game, how do i repack those assets, do i even need to?

16. Mechageno

Nope you just put your mod stuff in the mods folder and that's it.

You could just try using a batch file like i did.

17. No. Make it into a mod, keep the same structure so it overwrites the default asset and you're good.

The fact that people have to make videos, standalone programs, and scripts for something this simple is pathetic. - Little bit too mean here, help those with less knowledge. - Sledrizzle
    Glad you got it working.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2014
  18. Mechageno

Yeah i see what you're saying. It's an unnecessary problem that we shouldn't have to deal with. The fact so many people are having issues with it is definitely going to spark up a fire from the nether and explode upon the Chucklefish team psyches, so they'll probably deal with it. Buuuut until then, we have to deal with it in the time being.

19. Electroflux

Electroflux Industrial Terraformer

You know, not everyone is as smart as you, hopefully you'd get that through your thick head.

The standalone programs here aren't for that specifically, by the way, just more ease of use than anything.

EDIT: "making a batch file" also doesn't explain what to actually put in it. Google is not helping me so don't tell me to search it.

20. You have specific, step-by-step instructions in the first post. Not sure why anyone needs anything else. I'm not trying to rude about it, but just blunt.
    And of course they are for that specifically. Because it seems no one knows how to use a command line. There is nothing inconvenient about it. You only have to do this once throughout the entire course of your modding session until the next update if there are more items added.