Tutorial How to successfully pack and unpack .pak files

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by SexualRhinoceros, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

Hello , i've rework some teture (morph ball) , and i wanna ask if it was possible to pack only that and not the full asset folder.

If i ask that its mostly because i dont want to overwite over modification on the game , and finish with a vanilla game + my change , so infact instead of recreate the asset i would like to make a mod (its a color replacement on only 12 pictures , but if someone want do it for me i can provide them (its for a orange (like rusty) distortion ball skin for my glitch).

(but imo its better to explain me how to , for be able to do it myself later ^^ , and why not start to modding).
    --- Post updated ---
    Can we expect a multi language tutorial please ? because i can speak with someone in english , but i understand 1/3 of the tuto :x (i mean i'm stuck in the repack step , i dont understand how it work (its only for color change on some sprite).

Edit finally packed my try but dont work IG
    http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/texture-change.120939/

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  2. 8bitaether

8bitaether Void-Bound Voyager

noice, i get to finally make 2 custom races. <3

3. azekill_DIABLO

azekill_DIABLO Void-Bound Voyager

No one of those seem to work....

4. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Hey, does anybody know if these methods still work for 1.0? If not, does anybody have the new method?

5. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

Nop sorry the only succefull package i've done was like 2 week ago and it was half ok (texture was ok only when facing right lol) , but before try i didnt expected it was that hard to replace a single picture in a folder (even with same size/name) and nothing else changed.

6. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

This tutorial is still as valid now as it once was. If you would like to simplify the process, you can probably find a "tool" thread that supplies a method to make unpacking game assets and mods easier.

7. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

::Make a variable for backspace cause $h is being a dickwad
    wut

Titanium likes this.
  8. Captain_Flynn

Captain_Flynn Void-Bound Voyager

Okay, so I need some help. I'm trying to unpack the ZZ mech modifications mod because it won't seem to load into Starbound in pak form. The problem is that every time I try to unpack it, I get an error like this:

Error: Automatic close of SimpleDatabase 'mod_xsmech_variants.pak' in destructor failed! (IOException) write called on non-writable File

The file paths are right and I'm running as admin. I don't know what to do.

9. Mackinz

Are you not installing it properly? Do you have XS Mechs installed as its prerequisite? Are you running Starbound's latest version?

10. Captain_Flynn

Every thing was installed correctly. I'm pretty sure its because my starbound isn't up to date. I don't have internet on my computer right now so I can't update. I have to use my phone. If I could just unpack the mod, I could MAKE it work with my version (Glad Giraffe update 1) but I can't.

11. Mackinz

Figure out a way to update your game to the latest version. That's the only advice I can offer you. It's ~1 GB.

12. Captain_Flynn

Lolz I don't think you understand just how slow my phones internet is. It'd take all day. If I just had the asset_unpacker.exe from the current version though, would that suffice to unpack the mod so I could edit it? I don't think it relies on the actual game at all.

13. Ixantir

Ixantir Ketchup Robot

I literally still use the OP from SexualRhinoceros for everything. I'm sure there are other ways but can't unlove a Rhino :3

14. Utkudakid

Utkudakid Subatomic Cosmonaut

I dont get anything.

15. MetalArrow

MetalArrow Subatomic Cosmonaut

If asset_packer is supposed to be a batch file, why is it "asset_packer.exe" in the code? Nothing's working. I either get a quick flash of a window, or an endless, flashing wall of text.

16. Utkudakid

Utkudakid Subatomic Cosmonaut

I guess both our brains hurt.

17. Mackinz

You're supposed to create a batch file that references the executable file.

18. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

On a Mac, none of these things are remotely working.

19. GoldenstarArtist

GoldenstarArtist Cosmic Narwhal

does anyone know of a easy to use tool for packing? I can unpack things with ease but can't see to pack anything for the life of me.

20. GoldenstarArtist

GoldenstarArtist Cosmic Narwhal

What am I doing wrong?

"<C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32\asset_packer.exe>" "<C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\mods\newmod>" "<C:\Users\Goldenstar\Desktop\packed>newmod.pak"