Modding Help How To Reskin

Discussion in 'Mods' started by _PandorasBox_, Dec 27, 2016.

1. _PandorasBox_

_PandorasBox_ Sandwich Man

Hello! I've posted in this section before, but thanks to some awesome people, I now know how to use the files for the sprites and portraits. But, a lot of them aren't updated with every NPC, or I don't like the look of them.. I want to have consistenty, you know?

So I was wondering, how would I go about making my own reskins? I love making skins for Minecraft, though I prefer the smaller pixel version of 128x bit instead of just 64x bit.. But it'd be great to test the waters and screw around with making something like this. I don't know exactly what I'll be reskinning at first, possibly Animals, then move onto buildings and such, as I'm terrible with drawing people.. But if I like the results, I could post them on here. Certainly is not a mod though, I don't understand why people here call reskins "mods". It's basically just a resource pack but for Stardew.

So yeah, if anyone could tell me how to edit the files, and the best program to use for doing them in, please tell! I'm currently typing this from my phone, so when I get back on my computer tomorrow, I'll post some images of my skinning work with Minecraft Animals and skins.

• monteso

monteso Big Damn Hero

Unpack all your xnb files into their png and yaml parts. XNBnode will do this. Making a reskin is as simple as editing the png in any photoshop like program, I use GIMP. The game's tilesheets are all 16bit. Why, I believe, people call their reskins 'mods' is because a resource pack implies a much larger scale, that changes the whole game aesthetic. You can only have one resource pack installed at a time for minecraft, correct? But for Stardew Valley you can have as many reskin 'mods' as long as they don't conflict. A mod is something that modifies the game, regardless of the content.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

• monteso

monteso Big Damn Hero

Well I haven't played minecraft in years, so I don't know whast going on with that game.

• _PandorasBox_

_PandorasBox_ Sandwich Man

You can have multiple on, and depending on which one is listed first is the main one showing, and if there's a skin missing, the other packs below it show through.

But alright, I don't really know what that program is though, or how to use it.

• Sennet

Sennet Phantasmal Quasar

Go to the Modding Guide here (it's always stickied at the top of the Mods section) and go under the Tools section in the OP. XNBnode is in there and within that .zip file (after unpacking it) there is a Readme explaining how to use it. It's actually pretty simple so don't go in like me, feeling all intimidated, it's very straightforward.

If you don't have a program to edit the .png images or don't want to go through downloading one, you can always use Piskel located here in your browser (just import the .png and then export it again when done).

Hope everything works out and you get your stuff the way you want it! :coffee:

• RoastedCoconutz

RoastedCoconutz Pangalactic Porcupine

Hey monteso, I'm using GIMP as well and can't find an answer in any of the threads to a question I have. Maybe you can help me. (Please excuse me for hijacking your thread, Pandora!)

When I "Export as..." to save my pngs, a little box pops up with different options, some of them active by default:

-------------------------------------------
                __Interlacing (Adam7)
                x Save background color
                __Save gamma
                __Save layer offset
                x Save resolution
                x Save creation time
                __Save comment
                x Save color values from transparent pixels

Compression level: ---------9
                -------------------------------------------

My Q is, should I change any of these values before exporting? I have a feeling that I should at least be setting compression at 0 but it's been so long since I last customized tilesheets that I don't remember what exactly I did. I should've kept notes. :p

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
                • Sennet

Sennet Phantasmal Quasar

That's why I use Piskel, because I'm such a scrub and it's like the perfect training wheels for a little bb like myself. LOL

I used to use GIMP to make signatures for people on old forums when signatures where still cool. :disshappy:

• monteso

monteso Big Damn Hero

I haven't change anything from what the default is (same as what you have posted) and I haven't ran into any problems.

• RoastedCoconutz

RoastedCoconutz Pangalactic Porcupine

That's good news. I was afraid I'd have to redo four tilesheets, which wouldn't be the end of the world but it'd be time-consuming.