Tutorial How to Resize Images

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by WoxandWarf, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Added to the OP, thanks! You're beating everyone in terms of contributions, have a google images cookie basket.

[​IMG]

Shooshy162 likes this.
  2. It works on Gimp, too!

3. JoanX

JoanX Void-Bound Voyager

Sure! it was a little sprite i made, a request for Andre Kent's Fan Art post

[​IMG]

Of course, as you can see, i dont know how to dither, AA or even shading, but i used a human character base resource and did this... Later on i'm making a thread to put my improvements :)

WoxandWarf likes this.
  4. Mist Eerie Owhs(Elijah)

Mist Eerie Owhs(Elijah) Star Wrangler

This will help a lot, also can you tell me the regular ??? x ??? of an avatar?

5. Affero

Affero Contributor

You're the first person I have ever met who also use GraphicsGale... Hello my long lost brother...

blind sniper likes this.
  6. Shooting Star

Shooting Star Existential Complex

You can resize with paint tool sai no?
    Just got to canvas and change resolution?
    And if you want a specific part of the image cut it out or cut the layer out and then paste it in another canvas change the resolution there and voila?

7. Affero

Affero Contributor

But it will blurr it out. At least in Windows 7

8. If you aren't scaling a picture up by a multiple of its original resolution, then there will always be some blurring of pixels.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  9. Doesn't matter, it'll be resized down if it's too big. Resolution's 168x163, though.

pigrocket likes this.
  10. Affero

Affero Contributor

This is a picture I made
    [​IMG]
    Then I used Graphics gale to shrink it 22,5% in size
    [​IMG]
    And here's another one magnified with 37,23%
    [​IMG]
    I don't see any blurred pixels, so no. There will not always be blurred :p

WoxandWarf likes this.
  11. You are correct, as maybe "blurred" was not the correct word choice. But the scaling program still had to warp the image in some way; under these conditions, the picture is not a perfect scale. Notice that in set two, Tiy's eyes are rectangles rather than squares. The solution GraphicsGale provided for the scaling problem was to turn each pixel into a rectangle rather than a square. This is a passable solution to the problem, as long as the imperfect scaling does not bother you. Gimp and photoshop can both scale images in this same way.

If GraphicsGale is what works for you, by all means use what you're comfortable with.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  12. Affero

Affero Contributor

Yeah definetely, I know that :p. Just that if you use Paint for windows 7 it will look something like this
    [​IMG]
    :) But good, we're at an understanding!

WoxandWarf likes this.
  13. Ahahahahaha, silly Paint.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  14. Guppy The Cat

Guppy The Cat Giant Laser Beams

I am the only one who really like MSPaint for one reason.

ERASER, RECOLORING, TECHNIQUE.

I really love it.

15. But, but, but, every other program can do those things better.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  16. Shooting Star

Shooting Star Existential Complex

but ms paint is bad at everything ._.
    sure it's simple but you can't draw for shit in that program
    and you're really limited with tools like no pen or airbrush ;_;

WoxandWarf likes this.
  17. Zailiner

Zailiner Over 9000!!!

[​IMG]

WoxandWarf and Affero like this.
  18. johndoee

johndoee Space Hobo

good image programme . you can resize image quickly, including jpg, png or gif pictures, Digital Photos and other image formats

19. KruczekIIV

KruczekIIV Void-Bound Voyager

IrfanView (used to be called The Red Cat when I was a kid, yeah, it doesn't look like a cat at all):
    Image -> Resize/Resample (Ctrl+R):
    ->Check is a "Preserve aspect ratio (proportional) marked
    ->Optionally use "Apply sharpen after Resample" if you want better quality
    ->Set new size (write number of pixels by yourself)
    or
    ->Set new size as precentage of original
    Finally: File -> Save as (S) -> Pick a new image format you want.

20. Torrle

Torrle Astral Cartographer

Thanks for putting all of these together!

If I may, I'd like to provide my studio's photoshop method for resizing images that we've found to work the best. May be really late in coming, but who knows, maybe there'll be another contest. >.>

For reduction of general images (photos, drawings, etc):
    Prep) For full-frame images without any transparency, flatten image first (>Layer>Flatten Image) or you will get transparency fringing on the edges.
    1) > Image > Image Resize
    Make sure that Constrain Proportions and Resample Image are checked. Bicubic (the default) is preferred.
    Enter desired size (Not less than 1/3; see note).
    2) > Filter > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask
    Amount: 20%, Radius: 1.0pixels, Threshold: 0
    This crisps up edges some while leaving gradients smooth.
    Apply to taste. Most images only need this once, but if your image still looks a little blurry, just hit CTRL+F/Cmd+F to apply it again.

Note: Don't reduce to sizes smaller than 1/3 the original in one go. If you need smaller, do it in stages; repeating all steps (reduce, sharpen, reduce, sharpen, etc.)

For Pixel art:
    1) > Image > Image Resize
    Make sure the Constrain Proportions and Resample Image are checked. Be sure that "Nearest Neighbor" is selected.
    New dimensions really depend on what you're sizing.
    - Generally, if enlarging, use exact multiples of 100% to preserve the appearance.
    - If you're reducing something that's made of 2x2 pixels to 1x1 (ei: Like Terraria assets), use 50% (and be sure to frame your image to be "on grid" first).
    - Use exact figures if you can (eg: if reducing an 810x810 image to 1/3, don't use 33.33%, use 270 pixels.)

WoxandWarf and Katzeus like this.