How to mod your ship.

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by WickedWitch, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dominichello

dominichello Tentacle Wrangler

Move all your stuff to a friends ship / or planet. then Delete your shipworld file in Starbound/player folder, load back up...and it should create a new ship usuing ur current mod files, then move everything back. ( I havnt tested this my self, but its the method ive seen being said around the forums. )

2. WickedWitch

WickedWitch Big Damn Hero

Steps's are in the Installation section of this tutorial.

3. dcsk8erboy

dcsk8erboy Space Kumquat

thanks guys! I have moved my stuff a lot in and out of ships over and over, i was just hoping i could keep all my items and furniture on the ship without having to transfer all my stuff to the planet, then installing the new world file, then bringing it all back into the ship.

I'll check it out though, thanks!

4. WickedWitch

Infortunately I don't think theres a way, unless there was some sort of save editor that dealt with that. Moving stuff out then back in after installing the new ship is the only way to go atm.

5. dcsk8erboy

dcsk8erboy Space Kumquat

ah, oh well. guess i'll have to do another move!

Sorry if i'm asking a lot, but do you know about making craftable objects? I put the bomb file into plain crafting folder, and rewrote it to craft plainly instead of the frog merchant, but it doesn't seem to work. i tried putting it in the crafting table as well, changed the file to craft at the craft table, but it didn't work.

I've just been playing around with stuff, i've never done this stuff before! I was able to upgrade my armor and diamond drill tho, lol

6. Maarc

Maarc Void-Bound Voyager

This was very helpful! I managed to make my first custom ship!

I drew the background all by hand, although it doesn't really look like other ships It turned out better than I expected.

[​IMG]

It is mostly finished... there are probably a few little things I would change but this is basically what I achieved with your help!

so fun
    much thanks~ :DD

7. WickedWitch

It might be because you haven't set up the recipe for it. Simply putting the bomb.recipe file into the \assets\recipes\starter\plain folder won't work.

Copy and paste the recipe and put it in the plain folder.

Open it up, change it to this.

Code:
    {
      "input" : [
        { "item" : "money", "count" : 50 }
      ],
      "output" : {
        "item" : "bomb",
        "count" : 1
      },
      "groups" : [ "plain", "all", "tools" ]
    }

Now you need to learn the recipe, you can edit the player.config and adding it to the tier1 section of the file will work for new players, but to learn it on existing characters, edit an .item file, so that you learn the recipe on the items pick up.

Try adding the following to a recipe of your choice, making sure the preceding lines end with a comma "," or it won't work.

Code:
    "learnBlueprintsOnPickup" : [
        "bomb"
      ]

That is really good, glad to see my guide is helpful to people.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    dcsk8erboy likes this.
  8. dcsk8erboy

dcsk8erboy Space Kumquat

Thanks! you helped me a lot again! I had done everything you saidb ut I didn't know you had to add the learnblueprint text to the item file. It works now!

Thanks!

WickedWitch likes this.
  9. dcsk8erboy

dcsk8erboy Space Kumquat

Hi, WickedWitch.

I have another question, since you seem to know your stuff!

I made two mods, a ship mod and a mod that turns the Capture Pod into a Poke Ball.

The only way I know how to upload them and have people install them is to replace the original files with the modded files. The Pokeball mod uses several folders and 6 files to do.

I know there is a Mod folder in the files, is there anyway I could just make a file to put in there which would override the files necessary to work correctly?

Any help is appreciated, thanks a lot!

10. Eathed

Eathed Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, the first thing you should do is pick a name for your mod/mods. Then inside the mods folder create a folder with the name of your mod. Inside that folder, create a file called modname.modinfo. Replace modname with the name of your mod(capitalization matters). Inside the .modinfo file put
    Code:
    {
        "name" : "modname",
        "version" : "Beta v. Offended Koala",
        "path" : "."
    }
    Then just recreate the assets folder in there. I think for the capture balls it would be projectiles/throwable/capturepod. Then you would just drop your modded files into that. For your ship, you would create a folder called ships, and then create a folder for the race. Then just drop the modded files into it.

WickedWitch and dcsk8erboy like this.
  11. dcsk8erboy

dcsk8erboy Space Kumquat

I've never done something like that. It took me a little while to understand but I did it. Thanks a lot Eathed!! Now people can download my mods and place them much easier!

12. kitsunespirit

kitsunespirit Cosmic Narwhal

I have two questions

1. In the dropshipblock file I have noticed that there seems always to be a big blue box where the ship's back thruster is. Why is that?

2. I'm guessing its possible, but is it safe to change the png for things like the fuel hatch and shiplocker?

13. WickedWitch

Im not 100% on why but the thrusters need that blue block around them, I think it might be because it's animated and not a static object.

Yes you can change the location of any of the objects in the ship by simple changing the dropshipblocks.png. Even add multiple locations. The storage is shared i believe.

kitsunespirit likes this.
  14. FrEsC

FrEsC Intergalactic Tourist

i noticed a "shipengine" object in the default .structure file but it doesn't seem to be mapped to any pixel in the dropshipblock file. also i could not find any object with this id. does anybody know what this does (or should do)? there's a shipengine sound, but that seems to be played by the fuel hatch.

btw: great work with this tutorial

15. WickedWitch

It does work, the engines seem to be linked to the large blue box with the small pale blue pixel inside it. Having toyed around with it many times, it would seem that you need the whole blue box and small pale blue pixel in order for you to place engines.

16. Crono099

Crono099 Intergalactic Tourist

Ok so I find this Tutorial Brilliant and it seems that my first mod to be built from the ground up will be a starbound ship...8-10 years of mod modding and wows

but this is also the first place I have been able to find out that if my friends don't have the same mod they cant see the background of the custom ships FINALY, that's been getting on my nerves for ages as so far I haven't been able to confirm anything about how to get ships to wook across lan (hammachi). one of the guys had the whole background thing that "Tamarama" had and that was it ...no I have to wait for one of my friends to have free time from uni work so I can send the file and test it ...arg

Tanks for all the help and what will be a future help when I create my ship....(It will have lots popular culture reference pixel art like R2-D2 and the Tardis in it so yays)

17. WickedWitch

To get the ships to work on lan or net, have you tried sending the background file to each member? I would have though that would be the case. Until the devs allow downloads when connecting to a server/host, if you exclude the potential of downloading risky files.

18. Crono099

Crono099 Intergalactic Tourist

Thanks ironicly most of the people who I know who have the game have been off line for ages

An update is that I am 90% (most of the 10% remaining is pixle art and touch-ups ...300+ layers :'( )
    done with my ship ...even if I am still not happy about not having a bigger cargo area mainly due to wanting to put some more pixel art inside , so soon I will be making a page for it yays. I have decided that the horizontal door mad is useful cause I made a holding cell with its entrance from the top down so I made another with a normal entrance but it still left me with the top down just sitting there.

19. oddvoco

oddvoco Intergalactic Tourist

20. soopytwist

soopytwist Pangalactic Porcupine

dropshipblocks.png? shipship.png? This is massively out of date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.