How to make or re-texture weapons (I wanna scythe)

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Maelily78, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Maelily78

Maelily78 Void-Bound Voyager

Could anyone link me or tell me how to make a mod or re-texture for weapons?
    I really wanna give my character a scythe weapon, since there my favorite weapon and I kinda feel weapon variety is lacking in the game.
    Yeah there is plenty of variety of each weapon type there is in game but I wouldn't mind more types, like spears, bows, throwing knives, and of course SCYTHES!
    I am aware of kayoko's and Nightmares weapon mods but THEY do not have scythes, there for I wanna make my own [​IMG]

• Acerbicon

Acerbicon Pangalactic Porcupine

There are a few ways you can go about getting a scythe as a weapon. First you could go into the tilesheets, extract weapons.xnb and modify one of the items as a scythe. However, the scythe you use on your farm is already in there, if you don't like the way it looks you can modify it. And @OrSpeeder made the awesome Combat with Farming Implements mod that lets you use your original farm scythe as a weapon.
      [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Coolwyngs

Coolwyngs Giant Laser Beams

Wow cool scythe

• Acerbicon

Feel free to use it if you want :)

• Coolwyngs

Coolwyngs Giant Laser Beams

Okay thank you

• Maelily78

• Maelily78

I have designed and made my scythes but have been unable to extract any .xnb or png files :(
                seems to be a problem with my command prompt?

• Acerbicon

What are you using to extract them? Which version of xnb_node?

• Maelily78

the latest version of xnb_node, as far as I can tell, I cant even get that far however becuase my command prompt wont recognize the folder or any commands.
                    been looking into solutions for over an hour but so far its been hard to follow, as allot of perople had this problm with windows 8, I have windows 10 and have no idea how to get to the places I need to to fix the problem, need to change the environment variables?

• Acerbicon

Well, when using the command prompt version, you have to shift+right-click the folder your in when opening the command prompt in the folder that has xnb_node. However, it's much easier to use one of the following: XNB Kit or XNB Toolkit v2

• Maelily78

Thanks! it might be another day or two before I can get to this again though, currently baking 2 cakes and a batch of cookies for a family gathering :) and its midnight where I am

• OrSpeeder

OrSpeeder Phantasmal Quasar

That scythe is so cool I am tempted to figure how to add some weapon cool effects to the scythe swing in some future version :p

• Maelily78

Good news, the XNB kit worked like a charm! Thanks again!! So iv got the tile sheet finished, and most of the values/line work done, just a little trouble understanding some of the values, as the only explanations iv been able to find of them was in Nighmare's additional weaponry
                            Open with Notepad+ and add new numbered lines for each weapon you're adding.
                            (values go by 'Name/Description/Min dmg/Max dmg/Weight/Speed/Precision/Defense/WeaponType/?/?/?/CritChance/CritDmg)"" which seems incomplete and doesn't explain the values.

Here it is so far :)
                            Ill be posting these pics on Facebook as well to get more peoples opinions

finished tile sheet.PNG scythes so far.PNG

• Acerbicon

Glad I could help. Ack! Those are gorgeous! I love scythes so much, I'm going to end up making all my weapons scythes... then I might actually use them. I think my favorites are the deamon and reaper scythes. Also vengeance and Sinner Harvester... and all the others. Yeah, I can't even pick one they're all fantastic.

As to what all the values mean, this is what I know about them. Some of it is guessing and dependent on weapon type.
                              Min dmg: the lowest damage it does, this is 1 to 1, so 1 would be 1 damage.
                              Max dmg: the most damage it does, also 1 to 1.
                              Weight: how far it will knock an enemy back, higher number is further back. Sword: 1.2 = +3, 1.4= +4 Dagger: .5 is base, 1 = +5, Club: 1.5 is base, 1.3= +2, 1= +5
                              Speed: how fast (or slow) you swing the weapon. Sorta iffy on it all but, Sword: -1 is base speed so 2 is +1, 4 is +2, -2 is -1, -4 is -2. Dagger: 0 is base speed, 3 is +1. Club: -8 is base speed, -6 is + 1, -4 is +2, -10 is -1, -12 is -2,
                              Precision: IDK D:,
                              Defense: how much it adds to your defense when you block (like how your boots add to your defense), I think it's 1 to 1.
                              WeaponType: whether sword=0/dagger=1/club=2 (I think)

I'm not good enough with numbers to figure out the critical stuff, it gives info on it on the wiki though.

My scythe was just reskinned to match the iridium level tools from Nightmare's diamond tools. Well, my edited version of them anyway. Woo! If could help with that I would because cool weapon effects are awesome :D

• Maelily78

Hit yet another snag ;-;
                                Iv edited the png and the yaml files for weapons and am now trying to compact them to test them in game but the XNB Modkit I used to unpack the file cant seem to pack it again and Iv tried using a different program (for packing and unpack the files) but still no XNB file and this all started with the command promp thing not working so im pretty sure trying that wont help me so Im really lost on what to do now ;-;

All I wanted was to give my character a battle scythe, why is that so HARD!

• MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

Sounds like you tossed all the files in your mod into the same folder to pack. Since, the data file, and yaml file that comes with the png have the same name; you need to separate them.

Create a directory/file structure like the following:

Content/
                                  ├── Data/
                                  │ └── weapons.yaml
                                  └── Tilesheets/
                                  │ ├── weapons.png
                                  │ └── weapons.yaml

Then run the packer on the Content folder with your modded files inside; it should pack everything after that.

Edit: Fixed the format of the directory listing.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
                                  • Maelily78

@MysticTempest should there be a difference between the 2 .yaml files? cause I tried it the folder seperation thing, packed it, still no xnb file

• MysticTempest

Yes, they're supposed to be different.

The one under 'Data' is the file with all the stats. As in weapon damage, name, etc.
                                      While the one under 'Tilesheets' with the PNG file. That one is mostly blank, and tells the game(and in this case;XNBnode) that that XNB is a sprite sheet.

• Maelily78

OK I finally got an xnb file! (Thank you so much @MysticTempest). It created a new folder, tile sheets, with the weapon xnb, is this ok to put into both the data and the tilesheet folder to test or is this just half of what I need (one for the Data and one for the tilesheet)?

• MysticTempest

Nice, and yea no prob!

And yea, it's only half of what you need. That XNB you created is only for the tilesheet folder. Now you need to create the data one. Which is a lot easier; just copy the weapons.yaml file that you edited to add the weapons' name/damage/and other stats. And, pack that by itself(or in the Data folder you created for packing.)

Just make sure you're still keeping the files separated so they don't overwrite each other.
                                          After you're done. You should have 2 XNBs; one is the data and the other is the sprites.

Content/
                                          ├── Data/
                                          │ └── weapons.xnb
                                          └── Tilesheets/
                                          │ ├── weapons.xnb

After that you should be good to go in regards to testing out your mod. The folders we created to pack the files helps here as well. You can just merge & replace the Content folder used by the game with yours, & it'll place them correctly. Then just use an item spawner to grab your weapons.