1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How to get outlaw instead of soldier?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Lazy Joe, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Lazy Joe

Lazy Joe Scruffy Nerf-Herder

No matter how many rogue soldiers i dealt with, if they end up wanting to join, they always get red uniform.

Im starting to think that this is not the way to find outlaws.

2. Steamwolf

Steamwolf Void-Bound Voyager

Apparently, you can get one when an NPC gives you one of those "Track down Manny the Outlaw" quests. Once you get them on low health, they have a chance of surrendering. If you lower your weapon (select a non-hostile weapon) they will either ask to join your crew as an Outlaw or they will take their weapon back out and try and kill you again.

3. Lazy Joe

Lazy Joe Scruffy Nerf-Herder

yeah i have done a lot of that kind of quests, i have read whats written down in the wiki

but everytime if they do become available for hiring, they all become soldiers and not outlaw. i am interested in outlaws because they sometimes can have shotguns instead of assault rifles.

4. Steamwolf

Steamwolf Void-Bound Voyager

Maybe you're just unlucky? I'll have a go at recruiting some outlaws later to see if it is actually possible.

5. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, I've had the same problem, and I think it's one others have seen since the 1.2 update. So it's probably a bug.

6. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Do you have any mods?

7. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I recruited just fine, I had a Glitch, a Hylotl, and a Floran who joined early on. They seemed sort of like an upgrade to the Soldier, but I'm not positive.

But yes, sometimes on surrender they will act like "Oh, you seriously fell for that? Gotcha!" and continue to attack. This doesn't happen all the time, and the ones who want to join you will say something along the lines of "I'm still sort of wanted, so mind if I hide on your ship for a while?"

If it's bugged, I wouldn't know. I've had a full crew for a while so that could have slipped past my attention.