1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How to dye decorations now? (Like Curtains)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Charlatan, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

Red, Blue, & Yellow Petals for the Dyes. I'm NOT referring to the Giant Flowers that are Farmable & drop the Giant Petals for the Flower Furniture Sets. If there's something that drops Red, Blue, & Yellow Petals & is Renewable at the same time, i'd love to hear about it SO much. Otherwise, something that CAN drop them in a Renewable way, like a Mod Farm Plant for Petals, would be a epic addition to the Starbound Mod Scene.

2. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Run around on a lush planet's surface, and swing your sword at every plant you can find. You'll have tons of petal within minutes.

Axe Garian likes this.
  3. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

I already know that. Those are Non-Renewable though, therefore it's theoretically possible to run out of ability to Dye stuff permanently someday. That's not cool. :(

Plus Swords suck, screw Swords.

4. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

I think you could farm those for a lifetime, and die before seeing the last of it :p

Axe Garian likes this.
  5. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Even so, with as many planets that are out there, it ruins the over all beauty of the matter to have to do that. Would be nice to be able to farm them by default. :nuruhappy:

Axe Garian likes this.
  6. Marinebeast

Marinebeast Existential Complex

You also use coal and bone for black and white dye respectively! \ o/
    I agree that it'd be really nice to have renewable flowers, even if they just grow back ingame without being a specific crop.

(That's actually a good point with the giant flower petals-- maybe make it so they can be crafted into red, blue and yellow flower petals, whether it's in vanilla or with a mod?
    HmmmImightjusthavetodothatformyself.)

Axe Garian and Tamorr like this.
  7. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Mmh. In that case, I can suggect you to simply use admin commands. I don't think spawning a cosmetic item such as a dye is considered cheating.

8. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

prefer not to use admin... Just saying it would be nice... if was by default. admin is a bit cheaty to me, no matter how it is used; at least for myself I consider that. I have ways around that, as I just simply don't plow down on candidate planets I want to build on. Those that I am not going to build on, are fair game. :nuruwink:

Lodish and Axe Garian like this.
  9. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

Still, non-renewability has a psycological effect on me fearing the thought of 'wasting it', plus being able to Farm them on your Home World would be a hell of a lot more convenient. (& lazy.)

& yet my fav color is Blue, so hence my predicament. ;)

Would be in my book. IMHO the only non-cheating use for Admin Item Spawning is replacing Items lost or damaged by Bug Damage, & Bug Testing Purposes.

Lodish and Tamorr like this.
  10. Marinebeast

Marinebeast Existential Complex

Yeah, actually, you know what? I might just make a mod for that. Just a simple recipe that allows you to make dye-flower petals from Giant Flower Petals in a 3:1 ratio.
    Maybe at the farming crafting wheel? Hmmm.

Either way, I'll do that tonight, just since there seems to be a bit of a call for this! ' u' Both standalone and as a part of the crafting wheel in my race mod, mhm.

Axe Garian likes this.
  11. Charlatan

Charlatan Parsec Taste Tester

Dude (or lass) if the non-renewability has such an effect on you, I will include it in my project.

Axe Garian likes this.
  12. Leesolazy

Leesolazy Master Chief

iirc, Frackin' Universe does that. You can harvest petals and seeds from normal red, yellow and blue flowers. Also, there's other colored flowers added into the game like purple, white, orange, black, etc. that drop mostly plant fibre.

Axe Garian likes this.
  13. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

Dude, & many thanks. :)

After I finish with Vanilla, I may well give that Mod a go. Many thanks for the info. :)

14. Charlatan

Charlatan Parsec Taste Tester

Wops. To be honest I had no idea "FU" made this - I considered it vanilla from the start.
    Probably because I pretty much always played Starbound with Frackin Universe Mod.

It might be them who made those flowers plant-able and farm-able :nurushock:

Axe Garian likes this.
  15. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

Ahh, no sweat. That's the kinda thing that happens when ya don't experience full vanilla first. :giggle:

16. Tentacle_Sashimi

Tentacle_Sashimi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The only way to dye furniture is either through a 3rd party mod or (if you want to keep things vanilla/multiplayer server compatible) with StarCheat.

Axe Garian likes this.
  17. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

In that case for this reason alone, why ever even bother using the Paint Gun at all in the current state of the game...? :(

18. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

You may be able to spawn furniture with /spawnitem and add similar code to choose the color, much like you can use to spawn clothing/armor of specific colors (for clothing atleast you can add super-specific code to change any pixels on any clothing to any color, I had a wicked cool custom final-tier floran melee armor set this way).

*********** I just did a check through my bookmarks because I remembered a thing.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/...g-recolor-with-starcheat.106437/#post-2783427

This guide should still work for clothing and furniture (possibly unique weapons as well). :)

If you're concerned about feeling like a dirty cheater, just craft a similar dye, the item you want to spawn, and sacrifice them both after you obtain the freshly colored version. Fair is fair that way, all the benefits and none of the guilt.

Ablekaine and Axe Garian like this.
  19. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

This might work, many thanks. :)

Now if I could get my fat lazy ass around to actually Petal Farming... gotten distracted beginning Construction of my Final Base. :D

20. Ablekaine

Ablekaine Pangalactic Porcupine