1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How to dye decorations now? (Like Curtains)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Charlatan, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Charlatan

Charlatan Parsec Taste Tester

Oi,

Now that we can't click other tabs while holding a dye, how can we dye colorable objects in 1.0+ ?
    I've checked the assets and according to the .png and .frame it should still be enabled. For example the itemID "curtain1".

Thanks for your time in advance.

(Strangely, searching for "dye" first, the forum claimed there were zero hits.)

Axe Garian likes this.
  2. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Wasn't aware that furniture was ever dyeable in the first place. Paintable yes.

If it is dyeable then put it in a chest and use the dye there. Else it will most likely be the paint tool that does the color change.

3. Xanirus

Xanirus Ketchup Robot

I think a mod (for the life if me I can't find) does this. But what do you mean "paintable"? What can you paint?

4. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

It is the MM tool. It is how things in the past that were placed objects were painted, if remember correctly. Never knew of them being dyeable by default. The old dye mod though is another story. Don't know if that one ever got updated to 1.0; as I haven't seen it at least on here updated. I know the mod you are talking about in the very least. :nuruhappy:

Axe Garian likes this.
  5. Charlatan

Unfortunately that yields no results, it simply flashes, does the item pickup sound, and the dye is not used up, nor the item colored. Hmm.... that was good thinking tho.

Axe Garian likes this.
  6. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

aye. It is how I dyed my armor, or at least ones that I was not wearing.

That gives me the impression that then it is indeed the paint tool that changes the color of objects; after placement.

7. Shadencile

Shadencile Phantasmal Quasar

paint tool does not change the color of objects, I tried to paint some objects and it did not work, paint tool only paints blocks.

nosciencehere and Axe Garian like this.
  8. Ablekaine

Ablekaine Pangalactic Porcupine

I do not believe furniture was ever dyeable, that's news to me if it was. :p

Axe Garian and Tamorr like this.
  9. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Well I have not messed with that tool in the recent version. I've only messed with it in prior versions, and not all objects were paintable. The system for it might have changed. I'll have to eventually mess around with that tool in the 1.0; just been too busy trying to find a specific spear, and well... a couple other things. Too easily distracted.:nurutease:

So basically I am only guessing from what I know of older versions of the game. 1.0 did change a lot of things, and don't know for myself if painting has changed. Still finding things that have changed within the game...

Axe Garian likes this.
  10. Charlatan

http://puu.sh/qFDRJ/fef75ebca8.png
    From the vanilla game assets. Earlier, a lot more had this, for example the pre-1.0 workbench.

My own little personal mod had a selfmade curtain, which did respond normally to dyes just like armor does, back then :lickitung:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    Axe Garian likes this.
  11. Shadencile

Shadencile Phantasmal Quasar

I hope that it is implemented later if anything, I am sure they will add something, if not... maybe there is a mod that adds recolors of everything xD

Axe Garian and Ablekaine like this.
  12. Charlatan

Actually thats why I wonder :C
    I'm working on a mod that lets you craft a plethora of plants and garden decorations, and hoped I could make the grasses / flowers respond to dyes instead of having to make an own item for each color.

Akre and Axe Garian like this.
  13. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

I can't paint Furniture with anything... Dyes, Paint Mode, nothing works. Hell, the damn Paint Mode can't even Paint all Blocks! (& I mean all Blocks of the same type!) The damn thing's bugged & on some Blocks it Paints normally & on others it tires to Paint the Block over & over & over in rapid fire succession but can never actually apply the Paint! For example some Heavy Stone Brick will Paint just fine & other Heavy Stone Brick won't! Sometimes it can Paint a Foreground Block but not the Background Block in the same Square Space, or Vice Versa... sometimes neither Block in that Block Space! I'm gonna Vid this in action next chance I get. The Paint Gun seriously sucks. :urgh:

Also it's useless to Paint Blocks if ya can't Paint the Furniture to match it. Blue Tar Blocks with Default-Purple Tar Furniture? That'll never work! Blue Durasteel Paneling with Default Durasteel Furniture? Mismatch! Blue Timber & Thatch with uncolorable Island Furniture? Unusable! :facepalm:

Might as well not even try to color your World or stuff... :cry:

It would also be epic if ya added Harvestable Plants that dropped the colored Petals so they could become Renewable & Farmable! :D

Sh0elace likes this.
  14. Charlatan

Wait, which Petals? I assume you don't mean the ones used for dyes, since these flowers we can already plant and harvest oO

Axe Garian likes this.
  15. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

*Gasp* What!? There are!? For the Red, Blue, & Yellow Petals for the Dyes? OMG, where!? I want some! :wot: (Especially for Blue Petals!)

16. Charlatan

I distinctly remember I already could loot and plant the related flower seeds in soil even before 1.0, and the seeds still drop. o_O

The only thing I didn't try yet it whether you can harvest them normally because the petals drop in abundance anyway - but it seems obvious it should work?

Axe Garian likes this.
  17. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

Can ya remember which Biome the Farmable Plants for this are? Pwease!? :pwease:

For the Topic: If there's a way to Color Furniture, i'd love to know. Without the ability to Color Furniture to match the Block Paint Job, Painting the Blocks will be pointless as it'll just mismatch. Not to mention Painting itself needing Bug Fixed.

18. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Wasn't there a mod back in the times, which allowed to dye furnitures?

Axe Garian likes this.
  19. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

That's why I don't remember there being dyeable furniture by default, because yes there was a mod for it. The flower petals did not have any use back then if I recall correctly. Only the big petals did, which were for the furniture set.

Was something like The dye mod or something. Koala edition for the most part. Apparently the way between then and now has changed obviously. :nuruhappy:

Axe Garian and Lodish like this.
  20. Charlatan

I'm increasingly getting more sure that we speak of two different things :eek:
    The normal flowers dropping the red, blue and yellow petals are already present in abundance even in starting (lush / low threat) worlds
    So lets cut to the chase: what petals do you seek exactly ?

Axe Garian likes this.