Modding Help How to change characters personality by save editing

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Silvyy, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Silvyy

Silvyy Space Spelunker

2. Errors4l

Errors4l Spaceman Spiff

For Windows, using cmd.exe:
    Code:
    cd starboundfolder\win32
    dump_versioned_json.exe ..\storage\player\uuid.player player.json
    Where starboundfolder is the full path to your Starbound folder, and uuid is your player uuid (you can use tab after typing ..\storage\player\ to scroll through available options or auto complete).

You can edit the formatted output. There'll most likely be results if you Ctrl+F for 'idle'.
    After that, use:
    Code:
    make_versioned.json.exe player.json ..\storage\player\uuid.player
    I recommend first creating a back up of the file under a different name (and/or folder), and deleting the original player file so that creating a new player file doesn't fail.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    IHart and sagenth like this.
  3. Silvyy

Silvyy Space Spelunker

I am on mac, Usually i have no problem listening to instructions for windows and figuring out wat i need to do on OSX but that went waaay over my head. :_:

4. Errors4l

Errors4l Spaceman Spiff

I don't know how you 'run' files through a terminal on OSX, but I'm going to assume it's very similar.
    In /Starbound/osx there's files 'make_versioned_json' and 'dump_versioned_json'. You have to run them with the same parameters as described above. Hope you can figure it out, I don't really know how to help with that!

IHart likes this.
  5. Silvyy

Silvyy Space Spelunker

Ya i realized that what you meant was doing something similar to how unpacking the assets worked. Still cant seem to get it to run though
    --- Post updated ---
    I cant seem to find anything titles "uuid.player"
    --- Post updated ---
    I think im the right track but i keep getting permission denied in the terminal

6. Errors4l

Errors4l Spaceman Spiff

UUID stands for universally unique identifier. It's a bunch of random hexadecimal numbers.

7. sagenth

sagenth Pangalactic Porcupine

In Rathma's name I raise you from the dead!

Thank you so much for that insightful post Errors4l.
    For anybody else on the same quest to change their character's personality, I offer the following advice.

1. Make a new character of the same race with the desired personality. To avoid trial and error with idle.# values and offset values.
    2. Run each character through the dump_versioned_json.exe
    3. Open the jsons with Sublime, or Notepad, or whatever
    4. Search for the "identity" section or personality as the identity section will have 4 fields touting personality (idles & offets)
    5. Translate the new character's personality values to the four fields of your existing character
    6. Run your json through make_versioned.json.exe

Enjoy!

IHart likes this.
  8. cpeosphoros

cpeosphoros Orbital Explorer

I'm on linux. Same thing, though, for the 3 OS's - Yay Chucklefish!!!.

Under your Starbound folder (which probably is under steamapps/common, or wherevever you installed it, if not from steam), you'll find 6 folders - "assets", "doc", "mods", "storage", "tiled", and one named for your OS. In my case, "linux", in the example above "win32", in your case, something mac related. The saves are in storage/player (for players, obviously) and storage/universe (for worlds and systems - yeah, you can hack those too).

About UUID, that's the player unique number. They look like this: 04d6bc6dcc4e0f3ac3fe92c84271c710.player

To mess with then, go to Starbound/storage/player, and make copies of those .player files for backup somewhere else.

Now, open a terminal window and type this (works for both linux and Mac):

Code:
    cd Starbound/storage/player

../yourOs/dump_versioned_json 04d6bc6dcc4e0f3ac3fe92c84271c710.player player.json
    rm 04d6bc6dcc4e0f3ac3fe92c84271c710.player
    Substitute Starbound with the full path of your Starbound folder, mine is /home/user/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Starbound.
    Substitute yourOS with the actual name of your OS folder folder, mine is "linux".
    Substitute 04d6bc6dcc4e0f3ac3fe92c84271c710 with you actual UUID. I don't know about Mac, but in linux I just have to type the 3 first characters and hit tab, and it autocompletes.

Edit player.json to your heart's contents. Save it to the same place.

Now, go back to the terminal window:

Code:
    cd Starbound/storage/player
    ../yourOs/make_versioned_json player.json 04d6bc6dcc4e0f3ac3fe92c84271c710.player
    That is it. Brand new edited toon!

IHart likes this.