Modding Help How powerful is modding expected to become?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Plystire, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Manntooth

Manntooth Space Spelunker

Yes, but also I mean much more accessible. In the current state, things are very accessible but hard to maintain. If you were to have a lot of inheritance going on, it would be easier to make massive balance changes, but also easier to screw up a lot of things by changing an object that is higher up in the inheritance chain.

My point was that just throwing in an inheritsFrom property would be simple, but things could get hairy when you start worrying about conflicts between mods. One mod changes an object that is high in the inheritance chain and it could potentially break all the other mods that inherit from it and most likely a lot of standard assets as well. I suppose you could fix this on the backend by always pulling derived properties from the main /assets folder unless the parent object is a part of the mod or one of its dependencies. Hmmm, there you go. Do that.

2. Ijon Tichy

Ijon Tichy Lucky Number 13

Or just not have replacements in mods affect inheritance in other mods.

3. Pinchy

Pinchy Subatomic Cosmonaut

There needs to be a system to close the gap between those who know .lua and .json and those who don't.

A dedicated list of as many examples as possible with code explained.

A lot more people will be able to build content if they can just by take and mix existing code.