1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How many of you...

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Kaboinglefop, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Kaboinglefop

Kaboinglefop Subatomic Cosmonaut

still believe in starbound.
    queue interstellar theme.

2. Biirdy Daysleeper

Biirdy Daysleeper Weight of the Sky

Still believe in Starbound, I prefer to wait instead than have a botched game, and I trust in ChuckleFish for the future of the game, I like to take my time and enjoy every update. ^^ (that's just my opinion, I would not participate in the debate.)

Kaiachi, Kashmir and The | Suit like this.
  3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Good things take time, its the way of life.
    I personally find solace in other activities until it finally releases.

Pyanfar, Jonesy, lazarus78 and 2 others like this.
  4. KKOrange

KKOrange Void-Bound Voyager

The title of this thread could certainly be more descriptive.
    I think Starbound has a long long way to go before it's done. In its current state, I'd describe it as more of an alpha than a beta.

Varixai likes this.
  5. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

The development process takes time. There is no real reason to doubt anything because the game is still actively being worked on.

6. zBound

zBound Starship Captain

Of course lazurus found a way to put a smart remark in here...

Anyway half me has given up on starbound and is waiting for terraria's final update and the other half of me is hoping them gonna make starbound much better...

7. lazarus78

Ok... whatever that means.

Darklight likes this.
  8. djDarkX

djDarkX Master Chief

I bought Starbound (or it was given to me, I can't remember) a long time ago and I never really played it. I tried it for about 5 mins and then left. I think it was due to the high difficultly I found with it as opposed to Terraria when you start out. I came back to it about a month or two ago and I've been really enjoying it, especially with mods, since. I have a lot of hope that Starbound will be a great game and I still think it is even in beta. I'm also waiting for Terraria 1.3 which comes out on the 30th of this month, but that won't keep me away from Starbound. I love both games and watching the updates on Twitter, I am excited for the stable release of Pleased Giraffe. So excite!

Varixai, Jonesy and Biirdy Daysleeper like this.
  9. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Well, op, why do you ask?

10. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Odd statement, or is that a question? Had to mull it over as it was oddly put and that in itself is pretty broad to say the least. Confusing somewhat.

And that is not what I think of starbound, that is the initial reaction when seeing this yesterday. Wasn't sure what to make of it.

Don't know what you mean be "believe in", as it is not a religion or similar. Also thinking about it, maybe it is referring to the devs. Well I believe they are doing fine. The game is coming together piece by piece. Especially the stuff that is not even seen, under hood stuff. Modding improved, mechanics improved, assets improved in quantity, and choices coming along. I think things are melting together for a nice chocolate, with a sweet surprise. I trust that they are doing what they know, and continue to do what they can to improve and add the things needed for completion.

The way I see it, it really isn't up to myself what is to be worked on or what gets changed. It is up to them what will. The game itself is guided by the audience, but not made by the audience. Still there are many things yet to come to fruition, but I am positive it will eventually come together for a lovely game. Nothing yet has swayed me to distrust, as many things some mention are trivial to the whole picture, and flat out an opinion. I guess I am too patient for my own good, and have a tender heart to understand this or that. Never once did I question release dates and the like, as that is trivial for a developing game which doesn't actually have a deadline hanging over their heads. I believe that is a good thing, since it allows a sort of free form to touch up and make a quality additions; whether it is seen as under the hood, or content people can experience.

Overall I am sure it will get finished; as to when, well... It is up to them when they think it is ready to be called 1.0, and complete enough to be considered so. Development is about as diverse as there are people in the world developing one thing or another. All it takes is an idea, and the drive to put that idea into motion. So I guess I believe in starbound, but not in the sense many would think. Sit back and have a cup of tea, and you might just find the path through the maze of the labyrinth. :)

Pyanfar likes this.
  11. kisspower12

kisspower12 Phantasmal Quasar

I only know chucklefish through Starbound, but I believe they know what they are doing.

They have a game plan. All they have to do i follow it and it should make it to completion. Anyone with a gameplan is someone I can trust.

Starbound has a ton of potential. With the game plan, community updates, and new office, im positive they will turn out on top. I mean this is still beta, remember :D.

Varixai and Archhistorian like this.
  12. Slippery Slime

Slippery Slime Big Damn Hero

I don't really get why all these posts about Starbound's future looking dire are coming from. Not to say this is one, but it seems like there have been a few posts of people not really thinking Starbound is going anywhere. I for one think Starbound has a bright future, the developers are releasing news on what they are working on fairly consistently, and this is a great title in the sandbox genre, even in early form. Once it is officially released I think it will get even more popular and active.

Varixai and kisspower12 like this.
  13. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Well, there's a few factors at play. Some legit, some... not so much.

We USUALLY don't get to play games as early in their development cycle as we did with Starbound. (A good argument CAN be made that CF let it out too soon. That's a fair accusation. One can then wonder if the feedback proved worth it, but that's heading into a different conversation.) So we've had it for a while, and we (throughout this post I just want to make it clear that by "we" I mean "the game-buying public in general as a collective") are unused to having games that aren't near-complete at least; typically we just get cookie-cut-out chunks of a game as a "demo" pre-full-release. So this is butting up against the long-ingrained idea that a game "available", regardless of condition, is a game at least near "done". And it's been availalble a long time and the devs are still calling it not "done".

This ties into another angle: the game was made public in a format I'd call the barest skeleton of the game they wanted to make. I mean, it was pretty robust for a skeleton, but still. Tons of features either were not there or had early, tossed-together placeholders (progression being keyed to Summon Boss Grinding being the big one)... which is normal for a game at that stage. Which, again, isn't normal for a game players typically have first-hand experience with. So add that "game available means game near-done" mindset, and you get people thinking that the skeleton is How The Game Is Supposed To Be. So when the fundamental changes start happening to line up with the developers' ideas, again an absolutely normal part of development, it risks being seen as being counter to How The Game Is Supposed To Be, or "directionless".

Which... is where we start going into less reasonable factors.

We humans sure do love our Object Permanence once it forms in our headmeats. We don't like change. That's scary. Well, we're all firsthand witnesses to a completely normal process that is basically all about change, and that causes some less than favorable reactions. Add "I paid money for this" (aka entitlement) to the expectation equation and well. Hello, gasoline. You're looking flammable today.

And there are few things easier than airing immediate, knee-jerk emotions online. Positive or negative, but let's be honest... we -and in this case I once again mean humanity at large- enjoy the negative happening to someone else. It's deep in our monkey-brains to tribalize and fight The Other... and fighting The Other is easier thanks to our inability to conceive of anyone outside our "monkeysphere" (approximately 150 people) as... well, fully people. This be scientific fact. We only consider most of the rest of our species in the abstract, even if they live two doors down from us. Not to say this is carte blanche to be a jackass and pee in the checkout line at Target because "hey, science says I literally can't care about you!", because then screw you, we can care about others in the abstract too. Public decorum is still a thing we need.

Soooooooooooo that was a lotta jibba-jabba. TL;DR version:
    1. The game's unusual circumstances surrounding going public-play are butting up against decades of How Games Got Released Before in people's brains
    2. Most of the userbase simply is not used to dealing directly in a game this early in development
    3. Humans are emotionally volatile creatures

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    Pyanfar, Tamorr and lazarus78 like this.
  14. Archhistorian

Archhistorian Void-Bound Voyager

This game is a wonderful work of art, and I believe there are people who set standards to art, these standards are subjective.
    I can't deliver an objective response, but I can say subject to my observations this game can easily deliver more then 25 hours of entertainment and new content to discover already making it worth the money to me (I consider 1 hour gameplay = 1 dollar, that makes sense to me, no need for it to make sense to others)
    So I will say I believe in Starbound? or better put I believe that the dev's have a vision (and one that may even change?) and will follow through with it completing the game and making it mind blowingly epic.

Kattanos and Varixai like this.
  15. HyperSpace Princess Elly

HyperSpace Princess Elly Phantasmal Quasar

It's not dayz. So no, I don't think I'll lose hope in the developers just yet.

16. lazarus78

That's exactly how I see it. I already have over 300 hours with starbound, so I consider it money well spent.

Kattanos, djDarkX and Archhistorian like this.
  17. Manman179

Manman179 Phantasmal Quasar

I still believe :rainbow:

18. Kashmir

Kashmir Giant Laser Beams

Personally, I like the idea that it is still in beta. The Devs listen to you. You can make a suggestion and it may or may not be used, but, they look at it. How many other games have you bought and played where you have the ability to maybe affect it? None I've ever played.

Biirdy Daysleeper likes this.
  19. lazarus78

That's good and bad, depending on the game. In something like Starbound, that is great. Games where the devs want to tell a story in a controlled setting, not so much.

I like to think that Obsidian took my battery charger mod for Fallout 3, and put it (Conceptually) into Fallout New Vegas, seeing as I was the first, and basically only one to make such a mod, and New Vegas was filled with blatant mod adaptions. Of course I could never prove this.

20. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Oh, another factor that can lead to people questioning Starbound, and I mean another legit concern?

Steam's "Early Access" has not exactly gotten a good rep. It's become a dumping ground of un-vetted ripoffs and one-tenth-assed one-tenth-finished games. (Anyone who watches Jim Sterling regularly knows how much drek there is, and Jim barely scrapes the surface.) And following the DoubleFine Spacebase DF-9 debacle, where the game literally had zero updates in any form or communication AT ALL for months then was flat-out shitcanned? And that was DoubleFine. They had (had) a good rep!

I don't blame anyone for being wary of an Early Access game by default. Steam's policies -or more accurately lack of policies- on EA and other aspects should have people leery.

But it makes it a little too easy to broad-strokes paint games under EA as ripoffs. And no, I don't feel Starbound is one of the "bad" cases at all. Not remotely.

TrueEdge likes this.