Question How long has your computer lasted before needing repairs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LazerRay, Jun 28, 2016.

1. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

If you read some my posts in other threads, you may know that I have a 7 year old gaming based Asus laptop, well after those long years the video card eventually gave out and out of frustration I broke the screen. I managed to replace the screen and as of this posting I was able to hunt down and order a replacement video card.

Yes over those years I also replaced the hard-drive, but that was because the first one got full, then the second one also filled up and was showing signs of failure (I replaced it in time).

I'm wondering how long as anyone else's computers lasted before requiring repairs? (external parts don't count, screens and keyboards only count if on a laptop).

2. Ursula

Ursula Guest

I had a second hand computer that lasted about ~8 months before the video card overheated and killed the motherboard, I bought parts and built this one ~6 months after and had no problems, even using the same video card.

3. Skelozard1

Skelozard1 Phantasmal Quasar

I've bought a new notebook three days ago xD the last one I had dured around 5 years

4. Nickthegreat

Nickthegreat Void-Bound Voyager

Around 2 to 3 years.

5. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

This thread makes this a challenge now.

My laptop, my primary computer, has had a broken screen for well over two years now.
    These days, still broken, I plug it into a 42' flat screen when I'm home.

Recently ive been thinking about replacing it, but this thread makes me want to make some record or something... Lol

( Yes my primary computer is a laptop, but hell, I can run games like farcry 4 or dark souls 3 @ 70 fps. )

6. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

My current pc has lasted since the 9th of October last year.
    It still has the same power thing and graphics card, though. My brother helped me assemble it! c:

7. HueHuey

HueHuey Parsec Taste Tester

I had a laptop from 2006 to 2014 that worked fine until one day Operating System Not Found
    I also don't expect the hinges to hold for very long if i actually get around to making it work again

8. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

My very first Desktop lasted me a proud 14 years, until the screen gave up, the desktop itself surprisingly works, and I never bothered repairing it. ( I turned it on a couple years ago and it still worked ) my current laptop has lived a nice 3 years and works just stable... kind of laggy now and then when running heavy software but still kicking!

9. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

My laptop I have had for 10 years, and to this day it sill works. Its been through hell (Vista) but now I have made it see new life through Windows 7. The laptop technology in those days were crap, so crap in fact, my laptop cannot handle Windows 7's Aero display.

My desktop on the other hand I have had for about 4 years. Nothing even happened to that one I just used it, and slowly turned it into my own gaming machine. Kinda sweet. Infact I only bothered using the same Hard Drive and DVD drive from the old computer. Nothing hasn't really failed on me.

Craptop and Computer. You have done me proud :D

10. Kashmir

Kashmir Giant Laser Beams

Mine have all lasted over 5 years. My problem is not the computer itself, but that everything on or in it is obsolete the second I bring it home and plug it in. I've only had this particular computer over a year, and I already need a more powerful one.

11. Mort Faux

Mort Faux Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Does cleaning count as repairs? If so, my Asus laptop (RoG thingy) has gone about a year before heat was becoming an issue (because cats), but I think made it to about 3 years before the initial HDD went belly up on me. So far so good on everything else, though, but could certainly use a more thorough clean at this point.

12. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

I've got an old apple from 1991 that still works. Plays Oregan Trail and SimFarm still.

So... 25 years old? :p

GeekBoy and Skelozard1 like this.
  13. Sygnimus

Sygnimus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Now my laptop is 1 year old and never needed a "real" repair , only some dust on the cooler that was making a terrible noise.

14. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

About 10 years now I need to get a motherboard.

15. The Lem

The Lem Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My laptop survived a year and a half before needing its battery replaced. It then went 5 months before the hinge broke and started ripping the screen. I'm currently getting the hinge and possible the entire backing plate replaced now.

16. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

@Mort Faux

Cleaning out the computer doesn't really count since its a basic maintenance routine, I had to frequently clean out the case fans on my old desktop and I tend to keep a few cans of compressed air around to clean out my laptop.

Any way hopefully you got a good brand hard drive and possibly a larger capacity one, having a lot of storage space comes in handy, especially if you are a heavy gamer.

@Serenity

You might need a whole new computer if the mother board is bad.

@The Lem

Batteries are an easy replacement and possibly common on some systems (my laptop still has it's original battery but it can't use it for long because its a gaming computer and it requires a lot of power to run things), but that hinge thing sounds real nasty.

17. Hadies237

Hadies237 Title Not Found

My little dell laptop is still going strong 7 years later and my Custom built Desktop hasn't had a problem in 4 years, though it is due for an upgrade to keep up with the games I wanna play.

18. Feera

Feera Subatomic Cosmonaut

My laptop went like, forever (yay Acer), however when Starbound lagged it in 1080...I knew it was time to upgrade, which I did (overboard).

19. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

From both class research and from personal use/friends Asus and Acer based systems are very durable (being the top two motherboard makers and high end laptop makers).

20. NiamhNyx

NiamhNyx Phantasmal Quasar

;~; All three of my hard drives, 1TB HDD x2 for main drives and a 2TB HDD to backup, just failed about an hour ago. Lost over 100,000 songs, lots of videos, and ALL my games and their data. My oldest hard drive was only 2 years old. Have to use my tablet till i get new ones tomorrow. RIP all my work done in starbound and minecraft, all my drawings I was debating on uploading to deviant art.

But come on, who would expect a synchronized death between 3 HDDs.