How Does Starbound Compare? What Terraria Fans Should Know

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by LadyAijou, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyAijou

LadyAijou Phantasmal Quasar

The art style is similar because Tiy did art for both. The combat system in Starbound will be DRASTICALLY different.

WyattDerp likes this.
  2. WyattDerp

WyattDerp Space Spelunker

Thanks for the reply. :)

3. LadyAijou

Couple more fun things about Starbound combat: Dual wielding, no more button mashing (strategy WILL be needed!) MILLIONS of procedurally generated weapons, shields, and items, AND training monsters we catch to HELP us fight! <3

psychojake and WyattDerp like this.
  4. Mr.X

Mr.X Void-Bound Voyager

So the procedurally generated weapon system will be like a Borderlands type system? Lots of weapons and then within those weapons there's different attributes for that weapon... Like A Shotgun could be Acid Shotgun, Plasma Shotgun, Etc...?

On another note it kinda reminds me of Spore more than Terraria... Sure its 2d and has building but the planets, strange creatures, futuristic tech, colonizing, building a ship, finding plants and animals, and having a hero pull me more towards Spore.. :p

5. LadyAijou

Yep, the weapons gen is inspired by Borderlands. As for Spore, there's a bit of that in there too, but that's the beauty of this game, its got so much awesome from so many places, its really its own thing :3

Tachikoma and Mr.X like this.
  6. ThatAmazingPerson

ThatAmazingPerson Existential Complex

Dual wielding shields. That would be interesting..
    Also, have the Devs confirmed training monsters to fight for us? I might have missed it..

7. LadyAijou

Yes, that is 100% confirmed, its been said quite a few times actually

8. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

1) LET MY ARMY OF DRAGON MINIONS DESTROY AND CONQUER ALL THAT APPOSE!!!
    2) I think Starbound is going to be infinitly better than Terraria. True i had some good memories, but thats all they were, memories. Scince Red announced cancelled updating, When ever I play Terraria it feels dull and boring. Also dissapointing considering how unfinished and what it COULD have become. However, I do see a very, very bright future for Stabound.

9. FN7

FN7 Big Damn Hero

It's good the devs keep giving us little snapshots on the home every now and again as well as on the forums.

10. Barbeque

Barbeque Contact!

Correct.. so much farther, in fact, that you may need spelunking gear to get to the bottom :)

WyattDerp likes this.
  11. carlh267

carlh267 Orbital Explorer

I would've enjoyed this post more if it wasn't so opinionated. If you're going to make comparisons and distinctions between the two games you should aim to be as factual as possible, and stray away from opinionated arguments.

Also there are points where you do contradict yourself, at first you claim that the only real comparison is that both games are 2D sidescrolling platform games, but your argument quickly starts stating that Starbound can basically be equated to Terraria with tons of added features that improve the gameplay experience by a massive amount. Like it or not, the two statements do contradict each other.

Also, as nobody outside of the dev team has actually played the game yet, all the promises made in the OP are subject to change, and most of the post feels like an attempt to advertise the product in a purely positive light compared to Terraria. This makes you come across as more of a fanboy- something I'm sure you didn't intend to do with the post. The game hasn't been released yet, but the poster claims that we "won't be sorry" if we give Starbound a chance- which just makes the argument look like a one-sided promotional advertisement for the game. The bits where you go into how gameplay actually differs is mostly fine since its mostly based on claims from the development team. All of which I already have read across the forums of course, but its nice to have most of the info gathered into one thread for interested parties coming over from the Terraria fanbase.

As for myself, I refuse to get hyped for a game which we have only seen 2 small gameplay videos of, and won't be making any assumptions as to whether or not I'll buy it until I've gotten my hands on a demo or watched some post-release gameplay videos.

Epicface likes this.
  12. Zoro the Gallade

Zoro the Gallade Big Damn Hero

So, uhm, to iput the topic back on track...and focusing on what this game has that Terraria doesn't...

-Actual infinite world
    -More in-depth exploration (with the detailing and cataloguing of items and creatures)
    -More building options
    -More content overall
    -The possibility to make an actually safe base without having to fear for bosses/monster raids every night
    -More depth to allied NPCs...

Yeah, it's as if Terraria was an experiment to see if this kind of world-editing sandbox RPG would sell, and since it became a success, they decided that instead of patching up content after content, they could manage to make a much more complex gameplay (and without the burden of having to stick to the original idea) by making a new game from scratch.Which is a great move.

Hope there will be something in store (a discount?) for us "migrating" from Terraria, perhaps.Even just a hat unlock would be fine :D.Or maybe importing an old Terraria world and hide it among the planets in the system?

Tachikoma and Sorrow872 like this.
  13. Sorrow872

Sorrow872 Big Damn Hero

hats are cool, but i would prefer one of the special zombies tamed if it would be possible (I don't think so because of copyright. Still would be cool) :ninja:

14. LadyAijou

There won't be any integration because this game is not being created by Re-Logic, it is by Chucklefish, and the two are completely unrelated. Tiy hasn't been with Re-Logic in a very long while now, gets no royalties from when he WAS there, and has no incentive to attach any reward for Terraria players. They didn't just build from Terraria, Starbound was already in the works for Tiy before Terraria was even started. They are coded in two different languages, and Starbound is very much its own game.

15. Zoro the Gallade

Zoro the Gallade Big Damn Hero

Oh. That's weird then, I heard a lot of people calling it a "spiritual sequel" or something like that.

16. LadyAijou

that only means people feel it is a similar game, but its not a sequel at all.

17. PokemonAce101

PokemonAce101 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I was LAUGHING when i saw people calling this a rip off of terraria.

(rewinds time 1 year)

Terraria? sounds like a complete rip off of minecraft!

Anyone else agree?
    :rofl:

18. KuraiRyuu

KuraiRyuu Space Kumquat

Eh, yeah. I know someone that said (and would probably still say now) they think Terraria is EXACTLY like Minecraft but 2d. I'm just like, -epic facepalm-.
    I don't really mind people comparing stuff like Terraria and Starbound a little, but going the the point of saying they are literally the same is just stupid.

19. LadyAijou

Can't believe how many views this thread has now! Also, when I get a moment, I'll be adding more information to the post, to reflect more recent things the team has revealed.

20. iHodzic

iHodzic Orbital Explorer

Thank you for all this information, glad someones actually been able to put this on. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.