How Does Starbound Compare? What Terraria Fans Should Know

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by LadyAijou, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyAijou

LadyAijou Phantasmal Quasar

Every word of your arguments STILL remains completely irrelevant, because RED IS NOT WORKING ON THIS GAME. You keep talking about what Red is doing, GOOD ON HIM. But RED'S project is NOT STARBOUND. This is TIY'S PROJECT, along with the NEW COMPANY HE FOUNDED. RED IS NOT, HAS NOT, AND NEVER WILL WORK FOR THE TEAM DEVELOPING THIS GAME. I'm sorry you can't get over the fact that Red has moved on, due to having a child and his own issues, but that has nothing to DO with this
    game or this community. If you still wish to argue, take it away from my thread and to private messages. My thread is not the place for it. MY facts are actually CORRECT, and I will not alter them to include something that is completely and blatantly false.

Alexblex likes this.
  2. Sorrow872

Sorrow872 Big Damn Hero

thanks for your post. I wanted to show starbound to a friend of mine. We played Terraria together and loved it, so I thought this wou.ld be nice too. but he only said: "it's cracked from terraria" and turned his back to it.But mybe if I show him this post.....

3. Arcadiax

Arcadiax Guest

By this logic, it is more comparable to world of warcraft & Mario, and the "goals"? Terraria lacked highly in goals, your only drive was to get new items. whereas this game has a huge, important storyline to follow.

Learning code is very important to any game coder... but that fact is completely irrelevant in this argument, red wasn't practising it to move on to Starbound, so I don't see where it is valid in this argument?

No need to get snippy buddy, this is just a discussion. and no, this is NOT EVER a sequel to Terraria, the developers of Starbound have strongly pushed this fact, it is IN NO WAY a sequel. but if Terraria fans, upset that Terraria stopped development, want to believe that, hey, whatever helps them sleep at night.

But Hey, call of duty and battlefield get people constantly comparing the two even though they are nothing alike, simply because they are the two main combat games these days, so if people want to compare without fully understanding both games, be my guest.

Alexblex likes this.
  4. Sorrow872

Sorrow872 Big Damn Hero

you cant blame a game for having gaming elements oh it's genre. Maybe there will come more and more sidescrolling action/sandbox games. They all will have fighting included and there were drops of monsters even BEFORE Terraria. It is like you would say Garrys Mod is stolen from Minecraft, because you can build things but still, it will be 100% different games.

5. LadyAijou

That's just plain SILLY. Starbound has been coded from the ground up, from scratch. It's coded in a different LANGUAGE than Terraria, you can't copy something when the code its designed in is not even the same language. People need to get off the conspiracy theories, or they're going to miss out on one of the most incredible games they will ever see.

6. Sorrow872

Sorrow872 Big Damn Hero

I know what you mean, but I can't change humankind. If humans like something and it stopped or died most can't go on. That's our nature.

7. LadyAijou

If someone "can't go on" over a $10 video game, that's truly just SAD. :p

8. Sorrow872

Sorrow872 Big Damn Hero

yes it is.

9. Arcadiax

Arcadiax Guest

I was sick of all this comparing, people truly believing they are correct in thinking that starbound is a terraria sequel, so I went to Tiy to get a final, definitive answer, that we can show people if they keep claiming these wild accusations.

Alexblex, LastDay and JohnnyValentino like this.
  10. Ole

Ole Aquatic Astronaut

This is the most awesome text i have read in a while, and i have read Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit! I really can't wait for this game, i loved Terraria and this looks even better in every way!

11. Great original post, Lady.
    100% true.

12. Lobo

Lobo Spaceman Spiff

Love your post, OP! :up:
    and to the ppl complaining about starbound being a copy/sequel/whaever of Terraria...
    Terraria is great, and Starbound is also great... and Minecraft... and Dwarf fortress... and the Legend of Zelda series, and sex, and noodles ._.
    the only thing we get when we scream "thiz thing iz liek thiz other!", is the chance that one dev go all b!tch over the other, sue him, and we end without a great game to play :rolleyes:

13. Vapor Horologium Corpus

Vapor Horologium Corpus Weight of the Sky

i don't care what people say there arent enough games like terraria and starbound(side scrolling, old school rpg graphics and building=win) but those are my three favorite things

Sorrow872 likes this.
  14. Barbeque

Barbeque Contact!

Also.. Saying Red WON'T ever be a part of Chucklefish is about as shortsighted as Invading Russia in winter. the future is uncertain, and while i wouldn't put my money on Red joining Chucklefish, i refuse to say he wont. because i can't see the future.. and neither can anyone else.

15. LadyAijou

It's not short-sighted. It's simple fact. If you can't cope with the way things are, I'm sorry, but that's your issue, and won't change reality.

Alexblex likes this.
  16. Barbeque

Barbeque Contact!

That was a bit harsh don't you think.. especially since i even said, and you quoted me saying, that i find it highly unlikely. Or can you actually see the future?

17. DarkStarr1

DarkStarr1 Void-Bound Voyager

Very nice. I played Terraria quite a bit for a while before it's inevitable demise, but it happens. This game looks beautiful in concept and design. I thank you for making this thread so that all this bickering between the two can stop (like now).

Deuces!

18. OmniGeoff

OmniGeoff Weight of the Sky

AUUGH! Spacebound is too much for meh! Already the game sounds infinity and beyond with Terraria and the replay value will sound worth it every step of the way, including the multiplayer aspects of it! Having understanding of what this game has already become just makes me think Terraria AND Minecraft could've done a WHOLE lot better. Every game that has been made has not seen far past what was imaginable than this has. Heck just hearing this makes Skyrim a dinosaur (literally :D)! Terarria, underworked! Minecraft, slow and outdated! What can I not emphasize about Starbound! Simply amazing.

19. DarkStarr1

DarkStarr1 Void-Bound Voyager

Minecraft will always be No. 1 in my heart. It will die when the Universe folds in on itself, and pigs fly.

20. WyattDerp

WyattDerp Space Spelunker

So Starbound is going to be similar to Terraria in art style and combat system the same way Guild Wars and World of Warcraft are similar in those ways?
    Because even though they are similar, one game goes deeper into the combat system than the other along with other things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.