Modding Help How do use xnb_node?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Theeternal92, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Theeternal92

Theeternal92 Void-Bound Voyager

I just can't seem to figure it out and apparently I need someone to hold my hand in order for me to get somewhere with this. I am of course a complete noob at this. I have never attempted to modify .xnb files before. I do however know how to draw and do sprite art which is why I would like to try my hand at it. I have followed two separate guides and followed them step by step. Each time I try to run a command. I get an error.

'xnb_node' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

What am I Missing? Some help would be appreciated, because i have no idea how to go about this on my own. Please and thank you in advance.

• Zhuria

Zhuria Cosmic Narwhal

This guide is great http://imgur.com/gallery/WCfeO/ but I'll try to walk you through it here too

Put XNB Node in your Stardew Valley folder. For me that's h:\games\steam\steamapps\common\stardew valley so I type

Code:
      cd h:\games\steam\steamapps\common\stardew valley
      if your command line starts you off in a different drive, you may have to type cd /d (drive) before that. So for me, I have to type cd /d h: and then the stuff above

Now you're ready to go.

To unpack xnb files, you're going to type

Code:
      xnb_node.cmd extract (folder you're extracting from) (folder to extract to)
      To pack, you're going to type

Code:
      xnb_node.cmd pack (folder you want to pack files in) (folder to put the packed files in)
      It's recommended to unpack all the game files so you have them should you need them. So type in

Code:
      xnb_node.cmd extract Content ContentUnpacked
      or wherever you want to put it.

What I do is I have a folder in my Stardew Valley directory named edits and I have everything in there. If I want to pack something I put it in its own folder (make sure the appropriate .yaml file is with it or it won't work) and just pack it to the same folder. For example I'll do "xnb_node.cmd pack edits/epona edits/epona" and it'll stick the packed file in with the unpacked ones. Make sure the only thing in the folder you're packing is the .png and the .yaml

Superior_s and Theeternal92 like this.
      • Theeternal92

Okay, so I finally got it working thanks to you. Thank you very much. I really appreciate it. It seems these guides tend to omit a few key details, because they think you are already familiar with the process.

Superior_s and Zhuria like this.
        • Zhuria

Zhuria Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah, I had to do some Googling to figure out command line stuff. I only ever touch the command line when I need to for stuff like this so it took me a bit to figure it out haha

• Theeternal92

I honestly don't know what fixed it really. I just backed up all the contents in a new folder and ran xnb_node there. That seemed to do the trick. Despite the fact that I typed the same thing that Idid in my Stardew Valley folder.

Superior_s likes this.
            • RoastedCoconutz

RoastedCoconutz Pangalactic Porcupine

Ohhhhhhhh. That must be why my packing kept throwing up errors. I finally got it working today and packed my very first reskin! :D A silly little thing but I'm pleased with it.

Zhuria and Superior_s like this.