1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I fish?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Palicence, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Palicence

Palicence Void-Bound Voyager

I have been playing starbound for a long time and I have not once tried fishing. Well today I made myself a Durasteel fishing rod and I am trying to fish, but the fish keep snapping my line. The only way I have caught any fish is by luring them to the surface then catching them, but this prevents me from getting the fish farther down. So I would like to know what to do.

2. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

You have to stop reeling fish in when they pull on your line. You move your lure out of the way of the common fish, and try to move them towards rarer fish, then, when one bites, you reel it in. If it starts attempting to swim away from you at high speed, you stop reeling it in, since the tension on the line will snap it. You go back to reeling the fish in when it stops pulling against you. Then, once you've got it out of the water, you can kill it for loot, or you can use a relocator if you want to put it in an aquarium.

3. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

The game is sadly not good at communicating this.

Can you use a Relocator on a landed fish? ...LET'S TRY IT

EDIT: Why yes you can! So if you wanna populate a watery place with fish you caught, here you go.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  4. Palicence

Thank you so much. I have trying for about an hour now.

I managed to get some fish.

Fish.jpg

5. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

Also some tips: you can fish directly from a platform (e.g. stairs) but a caught fish cannot jump back down - it's a very convenient way to prevent fish from hopping away.
    A relocator'd fish can be killed but will not drop any pixel/loot, so be careful not to swing your weapon around your aquarium!

DraikNova likes this.
  6. Palicence

I want to thank every one for helping, you have made our lives much easier.

Fishing.jpg

Tyle likes this.