Modding Help How do I even view my .player files now that starcheat is somewhat dead?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Lazy Joe, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Lazy Joe

Lazy Joe Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I havent played starbound since 1.0 happened. Just started from scratch 2 days ago.

So now it seems theres no working starcheat anymore.

A friend of mine showed me that we could use the "dump_versioned_json.exe" and "make_versioned_json.exe" to convert .player to .json and vice versa. But converting from .json back to .player file doesnt work even without any changes to the file. Apparently the codes of my pets are causing problem.

Which means right now theres no way for me to edit my character files at all.

What do you guys use for this now when you want to edit your inventory?

2. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Are you certain your edits don't simply have a comma out of place, or missing one, wrong bracket etc?

JSON errors aren't difficult to make and... I've seen the output of "make_versioned_json.exe" so I know how likely it would be to make an error. It almost inspired me to make a "JSON inflator" tool(but I didn't).

Try running your edits through a JSON Lint site. See if it spots any errors.

As for Starcheat, I think there are different builds out there. Some may work better than others.

3. Lazy Joe

Lazy Joe Scruffy Nerf-Herder

When the error occured, it also tells me which row the error is. I went to check, and it was pet related. Something about their defense, cant remember, it was supposed to be a value, but instead it was a minus symbol with some words and something in brackets, totally weird, and it seemd that every pet of mine had that.

Last night i started new character and tried it again, did the exactly the same thing with the .json file, weird was, although i caught an adult thingy that drops core fragment, this time i was able to save the .json into .player without problem.

So right now it is working, however i dont know if it will cause difficulty again if i aquire more pets again.

But in general i find this is a very tiring way to edit .player files, especially when you are trying to do something that might not work, and you have to re-tweak it alot.

4. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Yeah that probably isn't the best possible way to do it for sure.

I might be at a point using those programs in a Powershell script retrofit old characters without expanded inventories(and/or action bars) to those with. I have to figure out the specific differences first though.

You'd think the game could make a default(empty) for this missing data, but it doesn't and so the characters simply can't be used. It does boggle the mind a bit. Perhaps in a future version they'll have corrected this.

5. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

6. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

you could always use a hex editor, btw. the problem tho is its hard to add stuff with that

i don't hav 1, but ik some json editors (or even hex editors with json support) hav a built in parse error detector/corrector