Hi, I'm Michelle!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by MichelleEnd, May 28, 2013.

1. MichelleEnd

MichelleEnd Guest

Hello Everyone!

My Names Michelle.

I've been gaming for quite some years now, it's always fascinated me at what game creators will allow you to do and what imaginative mechanics they can come up with to best help you accomplish your goals.

I've always been a hardcore gamer, which some people seem to think is weird when I tell them, because quite frankly girls rarely game (or at least they didn't but thankfully, games are getting a lot more girl gamers, which is great)

That's why I love games like this, it encourages female gamers, it doesn't fill a game full of one thing, shooting, I play shooters but I'm not too keen on them myself. I'd much rather settle down on a planet, and slowly conquer the solar system with a team of fellow Starbound travellers.

It seems silly, but my first game that was in the same frame as a 2D builder was one of those really horrible old sand type games, where you could build silly little contraptions on a blank canvas using stupid things like TNT & OIL type paintbrushes, if you've played one of them, you know what I mean.

Some of you might wonder why I got into gaming, and here's my reason. The reason I game is I have an extreme case of social anxiety, I'm deadly afraid of meeting people. (Embarrassing right?). I feel a lot safer behind a screen, I've always been taught from home, and thank-fully I work from home too! Lucky Me?

ANYWAY, If you have any questions, be sure to ask them, and I'll happily answer, thanks for reading.

Figured I'd add a photo of me

[​IMG]

Mechmoon, Devalinor and Bacon like this.
  2. Gentleraptor

Gentleraptor Pangalactic Porcupine

Welcome to the forums Michelle!

Have a cookie. :cookie:

I actually played a bunch of those games too, but they get boring really fast for me. Good to see more female gamers, anyhow.

Fuzzle_Face and MichelleEnd like this.
  3. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

Welcome Michelle to the Starbound fourms!
    Those games are fun, don't feel silly :rofl:

MichelleEnd likes this.
  4. Zephiron

Zephiron Pangalactic Porcupine

Hi there !

MichelleEnd likes this.
  5. Rhayn

Rhayn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Welcome to the forums. As a socially awkward and anxious person myself I can relate. Hope you enjoy your stay.

MichelleEnd likes this.
  6. Oh hello there Michelle, welcome to our nice Community! See you from IRC <3

I'm Mr.Bacon, the Official Bacon of Starbound. If you ever need some Bacon, just Call Me! :proper:

MichelleEnd and BrutorDragon like this.
  7. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

Girl gamers aren't actually all that rare. They're just quiet because most guys are creepy...

Welcome to the Galaxy!

8. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

Why arn't there more!?

9. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

You mean like this right mate?

[​IMG]

SeaTheEMH, DJFlare84 and Samiz like this.
  10. Samiz

Samiz Big Damn Hero

Hieyah! Welcome to the forum Michelle! Nice to meet you! :'D

MichelleEnd likes this.
  11. Gandalf

Gandalf Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ah, Michelle! I've spoken to you a couple of times on the IRC! It's a true pleasure to have you on the forums. Enjoy your stay.

MichelleEnd likes this.
  12. ZioChombo

ZioChombo Space Penguin Leader

Welcome Michelle! It's great to have you in the crew!

Concerning your "social issue" it sounds really weird to me: you seem cute and and a nice person to talk with, I think that you'll be able to make a lot of friends if you face your fear and start meeting people! (ok, maybe meeting people like me in real life might cause you even bigger problems, but that's another story :rofl:)

Well, back to the topic: I'm sure you'll have fun in our humble community. Cya!

13. ArcticQuasar

ArcticQuasar Orbital Explorer

Welcome! I'm new and awkward too!

I feel the same way about people I don't know, but in pretty comfortable with those that I do. Unfortunately I moved recently and don't know anyone where I live now. But I'm sure that will change over time. =)

Anyways, Welcome again! I've only been here for a day and so far, I like it! ^_^

MichelleEnd likes this.
  14. fallingorbit

fallingorbit Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Hello and welcome to the community, I also like video games.

15. Sokina

Sokina Heart of Gold

Welcome, Michelle~ I actually have social anxiety myself. I'm much more comfortable talking to people from my computer (It's a lot easier for me to communicate from my computer than in real life anyway.) But I'm deathly afraid of initiating conversations with people, privately. I always feel like I might not be able to hold their attention properly, and they might not like me, and it's awkward when it's just us two talking. But yeah, I'm glad female gamers are a lot more prevalent than they once were. I spent the first 4 years of my "internet life" afraid to admit I was a girl because I felt like my male clan members would judge me harshly. I was right about that, (Once I eventually told them) so my fears weren't baseless.

Anyway, games like Starbound, or cooperative/casual games in general, are my favorite to play, because not too much responsibility is ever placed upon one person. ("Party wipe! Blame the healer!") I hope you'll feel comfortable in this community, though. I've gotten, at least a little bit, more comfortable in social situations since joining this forum. I'm still fairly shy and not talkative to most, but I don't feel like everyone is judging me harsher than I need to be judged at least.

But I'm just rambling~ Welcome! I hope you find awesome people to play with and conquer the galaxy!

16. Shadow|

Shadow| The Number of the Minibeast

Ah! Welcome to the Forums old chap :proper:

[no offense meant by the gender neutral 'chap']

It's always nice to see a fellow Gamer who has similar aspirations of World Domination! Or Solar Domination! :viking:
    I don't get too bothered over the details...

17. /hug Michelle
    Nice to have you on the forum :3
    I feel safer behind my screen too, though my social anxiety is less severe than yours or Socutykina (/hug :3). Well it have dampened with time (and having to "teamwork" at my workplace I think), but it's still hard sometimes :(
    Anyway, I hope you will enjoy yourself on the forum, and see you soon on irc and Bart's stream :3

18. Stumblin Skipper

Stumblin Skipper Astral Cartographer

Welcome to these crazy forums full of awesome people ^.^. Oh, and don't let my pic be frightening I'm just overly excited for this game lol :D

I have horrible social anxiety as well and I have been trying to work on it for so long, but I just cannot seem to fight it... a work in progress

19. Jack Nief

Jack Nief Phantasmal Quasar

Howdy, Michelle, welcome to the Starbound forums!

MichelleEnd likes this.
  20. YukiTrance

YukiTrance Big Damn Hero

Welcome to the forums, Michelle.

As for the girl gamers comment, it's not really an uncommon thing where I'm at. All but like three of the female friends I hang around with (I'm usually hanging out with three girls during lunch. There's like 7 guys in a group of 13 girls ._. .The guys in the group are complete idiots, with the exception of like three.) Either way, my girlfriend's a big gamer, she owns more games than me tbh. Most of the girls in the group I'm with play games. Not uncommon here.

Also, for the TNT/oil paintbrush game you're speaking of, it reminds me of an old game called Dust I used to play a lot when I was younger.

Check it out here.