Modding Help Help with a custom gun mod

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by striderskunk, Feb 13, 2017.

1. striderskunk

striderskunk Void-Bound Voyager

So I'm pretty sure you guys have heard this one a million times. I'm getting the duplicate item error crash to desktop thing. [03:39:40.187] [Error] Application: exception thrown, shutting down: (ItemException) Duplicate item name 'asvalsuppressor' found. My friend made a mod that adds that gun, the Asval into the game. Taking out his mod and the game runs fine. Now here is where is gets complicated, My friend's game runs fine with his gun mod. I have all the mods he's subscribed to, however I have a few that I am subscribed to that he doesn't have. Is one of those mods conflicting with his? Is it possible to update his mod so it doesn't conflict with whatever which one of mine it's conflicting with. Or am I going to have to unsubcribe from each mod I have until I find the cuprit?

2. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

Well, you may have to get rid of some mods, but have you tried checking his to make sure there isn't accidentally two copies of the item in the folder? Or perhaps one of the mods you have (by an unlikely chance) happen to have an item with the same name.

3. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

look for the mods Weapons Mega Pack and Legacy Weapons Project. Both of those also add the old avian weapons so it is likely that that is where the conflict is.

MetaFace likes this.
  4. striderskunk

striderskunk Void-Bound Voyager

Well, I don't have the mod's you mentioned IHart. I did check over the gun mod and there was indeed duplicate files, a few of them. There was a folder in the main directory called Middle that contained ASVal.activeitem. Another folder in the main mod directory was titled Objects, that contained everything that was in the crafting subfolder. After removing both the Object and Middle folders, Starbound worked again. It seems the mod works fine too. I haven't talked to my friend today, but two questions linger. What are those extra folders for? and how does my friend not have the same issue of a crashing Starbound if he has duplicate items. Thank you both for your help.

MetaFace likes this.
  5. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

Right that is a good question... assuming his is exactly like yours, then how does he not have this issue? Unless he fixed it himself and you had the bad copy. What ever the issue, as long as everything works like it should then I guess its fine. Glad you fixed your problem.