1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Help setting up a server on a VPS?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by hsidnomeL, Dec 4, 2013.

1. hsidnomeL

hsidnomeL Void-Bound Voyager

The beta drops soon and I would love to have a server set up for my friends and I to explore and enjoy together. As my computer isn't very good with server hosting, I'm looking at getting a VPS and setting up the server there. Any idea what kind of specs I should be looking at for a 10 person server? Also, how difficult will it be to set up said server on the VPS, taking into consideration my limited knowledge of server hosting?

I know the Beta isn't quite here yet but any and all help would be greatly appreciated. :) Cheers!

2. Turbine

Turbine Void-Bound Voyager

Just a guesstimate from the platforms used in Starbound and the primary areas of interest, it sounds like CPU wise it'll be very efficient. Bandwidth requirements from what I gather won't be anything excessive. Ram may end up being quite considerable with the expansive universe.

Currently I don't see why a typical $10 Linux VPS in the US wouldn't be more than sufficient. If you need any help with setting up servers and programs from the terminal in Linux, I can help you there.

hsidnomeL and Zailiner like this.
  3. MasterCreate66

MasterCreate66 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Make sure you get a Linux VPS not a windows VPS if you don't have a lot of knowledge with servers.

4. NoBlackThunder

NoBlackThunder Big Damn Hero

if he dont have knowledge i would not go for linux since that is a bit more complicated to use.. windows server are quite easy to use since the ui is almost the same. you dont need server software . a normal pc can run as a server.

5. hsidnomeL

hsidnomeL Void-Bound Voyager

Turbine, any help in that regard would be very much appreciated. I'll send you a message so we can get this done. :)

6. MasterCreate66

MasterCreate66 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I would disagree... Windows VPS's are confusing to me. But I understand Linux ones just fine

7. Brigadier

Brigadier Void-Bound Voyager

I'd wager that depends entirely on the amount of players and how spread out they are. There's no reason the server software should keep everything loaded in the memory, so I imagine if you have 10 players constantly, the RAM usage would remain at a certain threshold or below it, depending on how much memory it uses when everyone is in a different area.

The ease of use is a fairly meaningless argument. The system most familiar to you is probably going to be the easiest to use. Seeing as the game is made for different platforms, it is not wrong to assume that a certain portion of the population (ie. the Linux users) would struggle more with running the server on Windows and find Linux more comfortable to use. The same applies for the other two operating systems.

I'd like to correct your poor wording here, so as to avoid any potential confusion. As of right now, you indeed require specific server software to host a Starbound server. What I mean by that is the dedicated server files that come with every Steam download. Not needing any server-specific software would essentially mean the transparent integration of the server into the client - right now, the two are separate.

8. NoBlackThunder

NoBlackThunder Big Damn Hero

First of all i Agree tat linux vs windows server is very depending on what you used to do .. tho since he isk asking about this stuff here i guess he dont uses linux but only windows or mac.

second with server software i meant OS. like Windows server or somthing like that .. you can use a normal os version .. no need for server Operating system =)