1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Having trouble with Starbound on Linux

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by CloudlessDruid, Jan 2, 2017.

1. CloudlessDruid

CloudlessDruid Space Hobo

Hey,

I recently got a new notebook and I'm giving linux a try. I got Ubuntu MATE.

I installed Steam without problems, and installed Starbound, but when I launch it through Steam, nothing happens. I've read a few posts here or in Steam forums, but I'm running into a few questions:

1 - Many said I should try running it from the Terminal. After seeing that my Steam folder is different from the standard out there (Usually from what I've seen, games are located at /.local/share/Steam. Mine are located at /proc/16106/cwd/steamapps/common) I noticed there is no linux32 and linux 64 folder, everything inside the Starbound folder is under Starbound. (I'm using 32).

Anyway, when I tried to run the only starbound exe I could find in these folders, I got "./starbound: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error"

2 - A few guys here and at Steam forums said they could run the game after running the command sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev. I did it and nothing changed.

What else can I do? Thanks in advance

2. AcridBrimistic

AcridBrimistic Space Hobo

Your starbound should DEFINETLY not be located in /proc/. It's a mountpoint for a filesystem with kernel and system info, not your starbound executable.
    Either your steam install is completely broken, or you are looking is the wrong directory. Try $HOME/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Starbound/linux/, and execute the run-client.sh shell script.