1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Have they added a pause function yet?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Hrexandro, Dec 14, 2016.

1. DragonZombie

DragonZombie Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't think you can pause the game other than quitting to the main menu.
    Also you might just wall yourself and use /admin

2. DRAKEL88

DRAKEL88 Space Hobo

On console the in game clock stops while you are viewing your quest journal. It only appears to slow or pause briefly when in any other menu.

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

I just started playing Astroneer. No pause function. Intersteller Rift. No pause function. Oh, and the biggest of all. Dark Souls 1-3. Zero pause function.

Starbound doesn't need a pause function. Like I said, quit to the main menu. Takes literally a second to do. Or wall yourself in, or if your game mode allows it, beam back to your ship.

There are plenty of options, and your flat-out refusal to utilize them and basically demanding a pause function is borderline... childish.

4. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

It's mostly because the difficulties and inconveniences regarding how to handle a server fullstop on a dime. If it were added, there'd likely be a whole host of issues associated with it that makes it simpler to just not do with the pausing. This is mostly because the game is very CPU intensive as opposed to GPU intensive, meaning you'd have to stop all of these calculations and processes rather than more or less halting the frame rate and freezing AI and entities and such.

5. DukeLebowski

DukeLebowski Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's not about being defensive as much as " the inability to pause the game is so frustrating to me, I don't think installing it again is even worth it. " is an extreme and irrational statement for any game. In fact, I think you really like the game overall if it's the
    only thing that rustles your jims.

6. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

/admin is kind of like a pause. Type /admin again to undo it.

7. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

Here is a video that can make this thread a bit more peaceful.

Inf_Wolf14 and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  8. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

So would you say a pause function is not part of the minimum viable product?

9. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

Yes? If it's not NECESSARY then it is not part of MVP

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  10. Macchaparro

Macchaparro Void-Bound Voyager

This is a joke, right ??!! You dont need a pause in game, when need stop a little - just save game, when return you are in same place !!

P.S: or if you are in some vault made a battle, use /admin like someone said before.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  11. Another Kevin

Another Kevin Phantasmal Quasar

Hmm..

I'd say the fact that there's no pause function is part of the C.N.S.O.T.B.O.T.B.G.* Program, and thus a wise step into the right direction.

(*:Short for Chucklefish Natural Selection Of The Best Of the Best Gamers Program. Part of this program is the reintroduction of hunger and contact damage. The Program is criticized by it's inconsistency , due to the fact that the birds got nerfed even though they were easily the most effective part of the Starbound-intern natural selection with a total kill score of NaN players killed by OP knockback leading to death-bringing fall damage or sudden high-damage vomit that made the player's mind snap.)