Modding Discussion Has anyone found pre-existing ship weapon framework?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Zavender, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Zavender

Zavender Scruffy Nerf-Herder

After a bit of searching about and drawing up framework for what I'll do for APODS (Anti-Planetary Orbital Destruction Systems, or big fuckin' ship weapons for short) (because I don't have a whiteboard big enough to scribble down every tiny idea and roadbump I'm gonna hit), I'm currently working on setting up the cutscenes I'll use to.. Cover up and entertain the player while world-destructive magic is happening.

While trying to wiggle around the flatline failure of making my own weapons and simply forcing their sprites to stick out of the ship to look decent, I decided to just use the in-game ship weapons. Now, I'm also doing this for compatibility reasons (as I wont have to edit shipworlds, and any other ship weapon based mod (coughcoughintershipcombatcough) could use the same weapons if they'd like, for immersion's sake I guess, as well as support for different races), but moreso this:

Ships
    [​IMG]
    Have
    [​IMG]
    Weapons
    [​IMG]
    Even at the basic tier,
    [​IMG]
    Even the peace-loving hylotl,
    [​IMG]
    Have weapons. Weirdly, the apex mega gun-ship doesn't have weapons at t1, unless this is some sort of built-in cannon.
    [​IMG]
    And of course, the Novakids aint got a thing on their ships, unless you count this piddly steam vent as a weapon? But eh, its the best I can come up with.
    [​IMG]

It seems to me like there were specific design choices to include weapons on all (most?) the ships, and they all seem to get better and better as the ship's tier increases. But for the life of me I haven't found anything stating CF had plans for ship combat in any way, nor have I found artifacts or framework built in for it. So, I'm putting it out there to see if anyone else has found something or maybe has some old funding promises or considerations and such. And, as a bit of a side plea, find me a good looking thing to use as a weapon on the Novakid ship, I'd rather not have this plan go awry, nor have to take support away from one race.

Also still a reminder that I'm always looking for help with art, and anyone who'd like to hop on and help is absolutely welcome to.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Ship combat has only ever been an idea. The guns seen on ships are purely aesthetic, so there is no framework of any kind.