1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Harvesting plants does not yield additional seeds

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ROKASniper, Oct 3, 2015.

1. ROKASniper

ROKASniper Big Damn Hero

After browsing the bug reports for anyone having my issue, I find it very surprising that not a single person out there has been having my problem. I am playing on the latest stable build Pleased Giraffe. I like to build factory farms and just have massive farms for all kinds of plants. First of all, I was extremely annoyed at the new watering system. Do you have any idea how annoying that is for us factory farmers? I seriously hope you guys plan to implement some kind of automated irrigation system. To make things worse, now when i harvest I don't get any additional seeds. I'm talkin 0. I've harvested over 5000 pearlpeas, rice, corn, tomatoes and wheat. Not a single damn seed. So now in order to build a factory farm i have to go exploring hundreds of planets looking for seeds. Maybe I'm missing the point here, but it doesn't make sense that farming no longer yields any seeds. To think that nobody else has even reported this bug either means nobody gives a shit about farming like I do, or this was intentional.

2. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

I believe it was intentional...
    While watering is a work-in-progress and will receive some looking over in the future, the absence of seed production is a good point. I believe it was implemented so that people couldn't just get a single seed of something and then rapidly multiply the amount of seeds with it, but the overall removal of it can be considered as negative.

Also, have you tried mining your actual plants to see if that yields more seeds? I'm not at my computer right now so I can't check in the files, but it seems like it could be a way to get more seeds.

3. ROKASniper

ROKASniper Big Damn Hero

I have tried that as well. If this was indeed an intentional part of the game, well then the game certainly has lost a bit of appeal to me. I can understand not wanting players to be able to just mass farm plants from just one seed, but 0 seeds? Couldn't they just nerf the drop rate? Maybe 1 seed every 20-30 harvests? It just doesnt make any sense to have no seeds whatsoever.

4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

You can always purchase seeds. I do believe there is a shop in the outpost that sells them.
    I think it was to prevent the infinite income issue - since the new selling mechanic is there.
    If each plant gave 2 - 3 seeds. By the end of an hour you probably would have a hundred thousand pixels if not more.

Since this isn't a bug, as you would have to manually change treasure loot lists for this to happen. I am moving it to feedback.

5. [curly] servo

[curly] servo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

....coulda sword i got some pearlpea seed off a plant once. and i know i've gotten extra seeds off neonmelons. i think it's just godsawful rare. are you watering the ripe plant before harvesting?

6. MindExplorer

MindExplorer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Me too can confirm that ALL crops still drop seeds. The drop-chance and amount was reduced alot, though. I think I remember 1% chance, but what the OP is reporting simply doesn't match my personal experience.

I've harvested EVERY crop in the current stable and got seeds from every single one.

7. ROKASniper

ROKASniper Big Damn Hero

I feel so foolish. I took another look at my harvests this time. Turns out i was getting a few seeds. I just didn't notice it. I am perfectly fine with this. My problem was that i though seeds were pretty much disabled. If it is just a reduced drop rate then thats good. I was used to the good ole days where one plant drops like 2-3 seeds and my farms could grow quite exponentially. I'm averaging one extra seed per every 50-60 plants. It's quite the reduction but eh at least im still getting some seeds.

8. Lintton

Lintton Guest

You can also look for specific seeds on planets and get some of the basic foodstuff seeds as vendor rent.

I've seen some ideas for an irrigation sytem, but don't know how to apply it to my farms. It would drastically improve my ability to get pixels if i did, though.

9. ROKASniper

ROKASniper Big Damn Hero

I've just rediscovered a supply cache i created during enraged koala. Roughly 3000 of each seed. I'm set. I will be taking those seeds with me everywhere i go lol. I would really love to be able to design an irrigation system.

10. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

You can, others have done so. Heres a example from "ThatThunderCookie":

Btw theres also plants that grow underwater (no need to keep adding water :p).

11. MindExplorer

MindExplorer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There is an even easier exploit: Search for an Apex Lab or Test-Parcour (they always have protectors). Build your farm as big as you like (as long as you stay inside the protector's range everything is fine). Plant regrowing crops and water all. Turn on the protector. Happy exploiting.

I seriously wonder why the "exploit kids" haven't found out this so far. This is nothing for me. I just found this out while playing around with protectors during sandstorms.

12. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I think ill check on this with a prison i found.

13. Duxie

Duxie Void-Bound Voyager

I think a really clever way to improve the farming system would be to make each crop have a seed drop rate of 110% so you have a 1/10 chance of gaining an extra seed, I also think they should take advantage of the monorails and apply it with some sort of watering automotive contraption that automatically refills at a water source...