Guide: FrackinUniverse (SB 1.0+)

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Xylia, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

So I've had a couple people PMing me, and also asking me other places about Frackin'Universe, and seeing as it is one of THE biggest content mods for Starbound currently, and one I highly recommend, I thought that I would write a bit of a guide on the subject.

For ease of reading, all chapters will be written in their own spoilers.

Frackin'Universe is a "megamod" (using the Author's own word) that contains new content at all tiers. Even if you're just starting out, or you have a fully maxed out character, FU is going to add a lot of content. There are many new biomes, planets, materials, weapons, armor, and even a new mission and boss, with a quest line. It adds quite a lot of content.

The overall theme of the mod is Discovery through Exploration -- you explore new planets, find new things, and then figure out how to put those things you found to good use. Sometimes you will see things you want to make in your crafting list, but you won't have the materials and need to go out and get them and when you do, you learn how to make MORE things.

The mod itself can be a little overbearing on people who are not good at finding things out on their own, hence this guide. This guide is not meant to be a start-to-finish walkthrough, but a more general guide that gives you pointers. The first few chapters will look more like a walkthrough, and I will eventually shift to goal-oriented chapters later. This is because you can save yourself a LOT of time with some proper prepwork.

Before you read this next chapter: Frackin Universe is a mod that is based upon Discovery. This guide from this point on may spoil some of the content or otherwise remove the discovery aspect. Read at your own risk. If you don't mind being spoiled, then read on. If you want to discover everything for yourself, then I advise that you either don't read on, or only read parts of it if you get stuck.

With that said...

From here on out, I am going to assume that you are running Frackin'Universe, and nothing else. Some race mods may add/change items that might affect FU (such as Avali's Graphene being ridiculously easy to make). For the purposes of this guide, I'm going to assume you're not running anything else. I am also assuming that you are familiar with how to start a character, and how the vanilla progression works. I'm not going to cover any of that, unless it is relevant to Frackin'Universe itself or just important in general. We are also going to assume you're starting a new character, and I am also going to assume you are playing on Casual.

Starting out on your first planet, you know the drill, find the gate, then you need 20 core fragments, etc. There are a few things I would highly suggest you do before using the Gate to go to the Outpost:

1). Get at least 20 Copper, 20 Silver, and 20 Gold Ore.
    2). Have Iron Armor and Iron Broadsword (a little obvious, but thought I'd mention it anyways).
    3). Have 20-40 Core Fragments extra (optional but it helps a ton!).
    4). Have 300+ Plant Fibres and ~30 salve (don't make any more than 50 at any given time).
    5). Use spears to kill as many enemies as you can, hopefully you get several leathers and hardened carapaces.

Also, from here on out... grab any plants you find. These are very, very important to FU. Hopefully you find at least 6 potato seeds, and hopefully in your travels you come across some bracken trees. They are commonly found on Forests and sometimes Desert Planets. Keep all seeds, though you can throw away the actual food or eat it, whatever. In the case of plants that remain after you pick their fruit (like Bracken Trees), use your Matter Manipulator to take the tree (as a seed) with you as well. Collect all that you can find, including flowers. I suggest saving the flower leaves themselves.

Once you have those, use the Gate to get to the Ark, talk to Esther as normal, she'll send you to Penguin Pete who gives you the Lunar Base Mission. Before doing the mission, talk to the guy at the Tech Console, he will want 10 copper bars. Go ahead and smelt your 10 copper bars (smelt the silver and gold bars too while you're at it). Do the obstacle course (the first one is the worst by far), and then do the other two as well.

Voila! You now have Dash, Pulse Jump, and Morphball unlocked before even doing the mining facility. Morphball allows you to get a couple secrets, Pulse Jump is always useful, and Dash... meh, Dash is Dash. I recommend upgrading to Sprint and Spike Ball with your first 16 tech cards.

Go ahead and do the Lunar Base mission. If you've not done this since 1.0's release yet, it will be a bit easier than you remember. The Moontants are the biggest threat here -- run in, whack them 3 times with your sword, and then dash away from them. You should barely take any damage, if you get hit at all. The two humans with the hammers are not really a threat, just keep pounding them with your 3-hit broadsword combo.

The Boss is basically the same as he's always been, try to avoid his beams, hit the 4 switches, activate cannon, blah blah. Spam salve if you get hit (I wouldn't even ready your weapon, just do the whole thing with salve active).

Once you get that done, go to a Forest to get some Tungsten so you can survive while getting Fuel. Note that at least with Casual, ghosts do not seem to spawn whatsoever (I once had 3,000 units of fuel worth on me and no ghosts came out).

I suggest grabbing any weapon chests you find, and maybe even a few Pod Chests. Don't go overboard, though, you only need some temporary storage solutions. I also suggest searching your starter system to see if there's a Desert Planet. Make a Flag, go down there, and set it up near a large area full of sand. You'll thank me later. Also, check for bracken trees and make sure you grab at least 3 cactus while you're there.

One more thing: Unlock wiring mode as soon as possible. You don't want to get to powered stations and go "OH! I forgot... I can't wire anything yet..."

Once you have your fuel....

Your ship is going to run out of room, and fast (it probably already did) if you try to set up your crafting stations on your ship. You haven't even started FU machines yet, and unless you wanna derp around trying to get at least a T5 ship before even starting FU content, I highly suggest looking for a place to set down.

My personal recommendation is to find a Tabula Rasa planet. A Tabula Rasa planet looks almost exactly like a Lush planet with two differences: 1). No hostile enemies, and 2). It is almost entirely flat with very little in the way of mountains or hills.

Alternatively, you could settle on a Lush planet, or an Eden, though you will have to think about how to raise Fluffalos and keep enemies off of them (I used some turrets on a Lush planet).

I would also advise, that if you have the choice, smaller planet is better -- bigger planet brings more gravity and it will be more annoying to get around.

Once you come up with a spot, flatten out some ground and put a Flag down (so you can teleport to here later). I usually name it "Home" or something. Start setting out your crafting machines, and maybe a few chests to store some junk because you're probably starting to get full by now. I would not make any FU machines yet.

NOTE: If you are playing on Survival, you may wish to skip this step as you will die, and die a lot trying this.

Now that you have a location picked out and a Flag set up, now it's time to think about what you will build your lab out of. I would recommend Tungsten Blocks (which cannot be made yet). In either case, you will want some FU Crafting Machines. You could make these yourself, but why do that when you can find them for free?

Open up your star chart, and look for a Metallic Moon.

Once you find one, go there. Hopefully it was somewhat of a lower difficulty. Your biggest nemesis on Metallic Moons is Liquid Iron Rain. This will kill you fast, even with salves AND it will heat the metal ground up so that you are constantly taking damage every time you step on the ground and you'll get set on fire to boot. Hopefully there's Grav Rain, or just Fire weather or no weather at all going on when you land. Quickly start making a circle around the planet -- you're looking for small buildings. Not every Metallic Moon has them, but they are found rather often. These buildings will be made out of... you guessed it, Tungsten Blocks (and some other stuff like Plasteel and Metal Pipes....). But most importantly, they will have FU Machines, and... FOOD LOCKERS. Grab as many of these as you can find -- they have a whopping 128 storage slots. They aren't incredibly hard to make or anything, but hey. Can't beat the price. Also take note of any cool-looking blocks you see, some of these look awesome when used to make a lab out of. If you see a large area with lots of blocks you want, stick a flag there so you can teleport back to it later.

If you're a Casual and you did Section 4, you probably have some nice looking blocks to build a lab with. If you're on Survival, well... hopefully you can find something to use that doesn't look stupid, lol. Your choices of what to make at this point are probably very limited. Either way, you will want to set up an actual laboratory.

Keep in mind that you will need to make the rooms decently large to give yourself room, and you will want to keep in mind, logistics (how far you gotta move to get between the machines and any Food Lockers you have set up).

I recommend making 6-7 major areas: General Production, Chemical Lab, Vanilla Production, Gene Research, Power Room, and Misc. Room, Armory.

To explain...

(Note: You probably don't have a lot of these machines yet, but leave room for them)

General Production: Matter Assembler, Food Locker 1 (Ores, Bars, etc), Food Locker 2 (Crafting Materials dropped by enemies, building blocks, etc), Nano Fabricator, Extraction Lab, Powder Sifter, Fission Furnace

Chemical Lab: Biochem Lab, Food Locker (Chemical Items, Liquids, Gasses, etc), Lab Centrifuge

Gene Research: Xeno Research Lab, Food Locker (Seeds&Genes), Gene Sequencer

Vanilla Production: All vanilla crafting machines.

Power Room: Generators and Battery Units.

Misc. Room: Ansible Network, Arc Smelter (because it's just too big to put anywhere else), any vanilla crafting machines you couldn't fit in the other room, etc.

Armory: Armory, Clothing Fabricator, Food Locker (Armor, Weapons, etc)

A few things to note:

I normally put the Gene Research and Chemical Lab near each other because a lot of times, Gene Research will use common things that are made/used in the Chemical Lab, and I will usually put the Armory near the General Production area, because most of the materials used to make armor and weapons will most likely be in the Food Locker near the Matter Assembler.

Make sure the Power Room isn't too far from the other rooms; your character can only drag a wire so far.

Here's a couple screenshots of my current lab (which is still WIP):

[​IMG]

Starting from the bottom-right: There's an empty "lobby" room I'm not sure what to do with yet. Just beyond the force door there, you will see the Extraction Lab ontop of a table, then the Matter Assembler, with 2 Food Lockers, the Nano Fabricator ontop of said lockers. Next to those, is another table with the Fission Furnace and the Clothing Fabricator just above it, with the Armory next to it. Further to the right, is the generator room (the room with the exposed pipes) and below it, off-screen are the batteries.

Starting from the middle-right, you see the vanilla machines, and then across from it, the workbench (because I ran out of room lol) and the Ansible Network, and then the Powder Sifter is next to it on a table.

On the top, starting from the right, the Atmospheric Condenser is outdoors, a large microscope (which doesn't actually do anything but it looked cool and I had extra room), an advanced centrifuge on a table, the Biochem Lab and the Food Locker that holds all chemical ingredients. Across from it, is the Xeno Research Lab, Food Locker (for seeds and genes) and then the Gene Design Lab, and then the Cloning Lab across from that.

The door on the very left that leads outside....

[​IMG]

.....leads to my very unfinished Greenhouse Area. I have 24 Hydroponics Tubes set up for each plant, you can see the Bracken Trees on the right, Poe Trees in the middle, and Mutavisk on the left. I will eventually fully enclose this area with background wall, windows, lights, etc. These tubes need to be tilled to work (in case you couldn't figure out why you can't plant anything on it yet) but they do NOT need watered.

You can set up your lab any way you wish, but if you do it in a nice structured manner, you should find that you will be running around less and making things more.

Hopefully you have at least the following, either from a Metal Moon, or made yourself:

1). Matter Assembler
    2). Extraction Lab
    3). Fission Furnace
    4). Xeno Research Lab
    5). Gene Design Lab
    6). 4-5 Food Lockers

All of this stuff should be craftable at the Tungsten Tier. If you need Silicon, get some Sand (remember that Desert Flag? lol) and dump it in the Extractor. 50 Sand = 1 Silicon.

Once you get that stuff up and running, now it's time to make ourselves our first lab-grown plant, the Poe Tree.

Hopefully you got those potato seeds that I told you to get. You will need 3, along with 2 Hardened Shell Genes (Corn Seed or Automato Seed in the Xeno Research Lab) and 3 Cactus.

With these nifty little tree seeds made, make some Hydroponic Tubes (you'll need some plastic and dirt, both of which should be easy by now). With these Tubes, you will not need to water the plants. If you haven't already, make sure you get some Bracken Trees growing as well.

I suggest 10-20 of each plant, you will be using a lot of Resin, Silk, and especially Silicon as you progress through FU. Getting Poe Trees made is your first major goal in FU. They are very important.

With that said, let's get some better armor, before we do anything else.

Remember how I told you to spear everything back on that Lush Planet? Well, go make a Clothing Fabricator if you haven't already and get it set up. If you've gotten enough Leather and Hardened Carapaces, you should be able to make a suit of Chitin Armor. This armor will do you for awhile, and it is immune to acid.

This section assumes that you have access to Titanium. Just like in the usual vanilla progression, you'll need to visit an Ocean or a Snow Planet to get titanium.

Once you do get some Titanium, hopefully your Poe Trees have been producing by now, and hopefully you've been routinely picking their silicon. This is MUCH faster than using the Sand Extraction Method. First, you will want to make a Solar Panel, and then it should unlock the Solar Array. The Solar Array will eat a LOT of Silicon. If you found a Solar Array or two on a Metallic Moon, then you don't need to worry -- you only need 1 Solar Panel and 2 Solar Arrays. Place them somewhere on the roof of your lab.

Hopefully you've found a ruined Apex Lab by now -- you need a few Cheap Lights. The lights are found in the submerged area. Scan one before you take it, hopefully you can find at least three. When you place your Solar Arrays, put a Cheap Light on either end of the Array, so that you have Light - Array - Light - Array - Light - Panel. If you do this properly, the little gauge on the Arrays should be full and the gauge on the Panel should be almost full.

Then go ahead and make a 2000v 4u Battery Unit; this will unlock the Ansible Network. Go ahead and also make an Ansible Network.

Place it, and then wire one of the Solar Arrays (not the small panel!) up to the Ansible Network -- the wire goes from the Red Circle on the Array to a Blue Circle on the Ansible Network. It should light up.

The Ansible Network is used by equipping your Paint or Wire Tool and interacting (the E button) with the Ansible Network to change "Channels". Change Channels until you see Stardew Acres.

Buy the following: 3 Corn Seeds, 4 Currentcorn Seeds.

Dump these in your Xeno Research Lab and take the genes produced (3 Hardened Shell, 4 Mimicry) and then get 2 Bracken Tree Seeds (you should have several dozen of these by now) and get the 2 Reproductive Genes those will make.

Go to your Gene Design Lab and make Mutavisk Seeds. If you don't see that listed, buy a Sugarcane Seed from the Ansible Network.

Grow your new Mutavisk and harvest the material these plants produce, I'd suggest getting 10-12 of these plants using Hydro Tubes as usual. You can turn this into Thread at the Biochem Lab (using 1 Resin+1 Mutavisk).

Once you get enough thread, sidle on over to your Armory and make yourself a suit of Mutavisk Armor. This armor protects against all forms of Radiation and gives you Fall Damage Immunity!

Also, you can make Mutavisk Bandages (they are just as good if not better than nanowrap) and since you have the Mutavisk and the Bracken Trees growing simultaneously, you should have no trouble keeping you supplied with all the medicine you should ever need. 12 of each plant will yield 8 bandages each time you pick and craft.

Let's start off first by looking for a Mountainous World. Now that you have the Mutavisk Armor, you need not worry about fall damage, and Mountainous Worlds are... well, very hilly with lots of cliffs and drop-offs. But we don't need to worry about that now!

These worlds are absolutely polluted with all kinds of ore. Hopefully you found one that has Durasteel on it. If not, no big deal. I suggest setting a flag down somewhere near your beam location and then go off and get a couple upgrades on your Matter Manipulator, I suggest 3x3 along with at least 2 Power Generator upgrades. To do this, visit random Forest/Rainforest/Jungle (Remember, you're immune to rads with the Mutavisk Armor!) planets to find villages and other minidungeons on the surface to look for Matter Manipulator Modules. Power Generator #2 will take 36 total, and 3x3 will take another 12 IIRC. So you're looking for 48 of them in total.

When you have that, come back to the Mountainous World, and just start grabbing everything you see. It should not take too long until you have ore coming out of your ears, but the main prize here is Zerchesium Ore, which is one of the "Basic Three" FU Ores.

Once you get some of that, it's time to make ourselves a new backpack. If found any Varan Berry Seeds on your Tabula Rasa world, this next part will be very easy. But I'm going to assume you didn't.

First off, buy the following from your Ansible Network (Stardew Acres):

-3 Pearlpea Seeds
    -3 Dirturchin Seeds
    -8 Boltbulb Seeds

Now, beam to your ship, and go to Terramart at the Outpost and buy 8 Hops or Cinnamon Seeds (either will work).

Dump all of these seeds except the Pearlpea Seeds in the Xeno Research Lab and take the genes you get.

Go to your Gene Design Lab and make Little Good Berry Seeds. Plant 1 of them somewhere, and turn the other two into Regenerative Genes. I suggest harvesting a few of these, it's somewhat difficult to get Regenerative Genes until you get a good supply of seeds you can make them with.

With those genes, go to your Armory and look up the Type-S Survival Pack. Get the rest of the materials (If you don't know how to make it yet, dump 10+ water into an extraction lab and pick up the oxygen you get).

With that pack equipped, go to your ship and look for a Proto World. Without this pack, said worlds have absolutely deadly poison, but now you don't have to worry about that!

Beam down and have some fun. Standing on Proto Soil heals you at a decent rate, plants can drop Protocite Ore (which is why you're here) when harvested with the MM, and large globs of this Ore can be found deeper in the planet. Once you have a good bit of this stuff (200+), you can warp out.

For this next planet, I'm going to assume you've at least 30-50 Mutavisk Bandages. There's some unavoidable damage you will take, and you will need some good incoming healing to survive here.

Next up, look for a Penumbra. The description will mention Penumbra and Penumbrite Ore (which is obviously what we're after). While on this planet, there are a few things to keep in mind:

1). Black Slime makes you slippery and poisons you on contact (which is why you need the healing). Medkits can remove the poison, but it'll get re-applied a few seconds later, so meh.

2). Penumbrite Ore is found Underground, so don't bother scouring the surface for it.

3). Keep your Type-S Survival Pack equipped -- it emits light and Penumbra Worlds are dark.

4). Look for Matter Block Sub-Biomes. If you find one of these, PUT A FLAG HERE. Matter blocks are glass-like purple see-through blocks and they are usually found in decently large deposits. If you want you can mine them now, or you can just place a flag and come back later with a stronger mining tool. I highly suggest getting at least 50 of them for now, though. Dump these in the Extraction Lab to get Unstable Particles (which will unlock a ton of stuff).

Otherwise, keep minin' away until you have 200+ Penumbrite Ore. Warp back to your ship and then to your lab.

From here on out, I suggest not smelting any more ore than you absolutely need for your current project. Here pretty soon you're going to be getting a smelting machine that has better efficiency at smelting, and if you smelt extra bars now using the Fission Furnace, you will be wasting ore.

Just to keep in mind, Advanced Alloy is simply 1 Protocite Bar + 1 Zerchesium Bar + 1 Penumbrite Shard + 1 Lead. That's why I call it the "basic three".

Now that we have access to this stuff, you'll find a whole new world of stuff has opened up. Hopefully you took my advice and mined up a few hundred of each kinda material from that Mountainous World I mentioned in the section above. Hopefully Magnesite Ore was one of them, lol. You'll be needing that soon (unless you got lucky with the Matter Blocks on the Penumbra World, that is).

Anyways, let's start by making a second 2000u 4v Battery Unit. You've already made one of these before, so making another should be a cinch. Open your crafting list again, and make a 2500u 5v Battery Unit.

Once you've made those two, make a Combustion Generator. Place the 3 batteries somewhere you know you won't be moving them, and then place the Combustion Generator.

Wire the Combustion Generator up to one of the batteries (red on the generator to blue on the battery IIRC) and stick a few coal (I use coal because its easy to get) in it, and watch the battery fill up. If you ever move the battery for any reason, the battery will lose all of its charge, so beware of that.

It shouldn't take too much coal to fill all three batteries. Alternatively, you could temporarily rig up a solar array or two, but that will take longer as they only output 4u and the generator will do 10u.

Anyways, once the three batteries are full, go back to your Assembler and you should be able to make the following:

-Lab Centrifuge
    -Advanced Centrifuge
    -Powder Sifter

Hook the two 2000u 4v batteries up to the Centrifuge and the Powder Sifter. Don't worry about them draining power; they won't use power unless they are actively in use.

I hope you kept the Plutonium you found on the moons, lol. Go ahead and smelt a couple into rods, and stick the rods in the Advanced Centrifuge. You should get some Enriched Plutonium. One.....ONE... of these sweet puppies will give your ship four-hundred fuel. Nice!

With that said, we really need a better smelting solution.

You should have a Blast Furnace available to make. You should have all the materials you need to make it by now, or at least have access to them.

Hook the Furnace up (temporarily) to the 5v battery unit. You will notice that when you made the furnace, an Arc Smelter recipe became available. Oh, how much you'd LOVE to get your hands on one of these, but we're not quite ready yet!

You should notice that you can now make 4000u 6v batteries. You're going to need two of them. Hopefully while you were making the things I mentioned above, your atmospheric condenser should have gotten at least 50 Nitrogen by now (each battery will want 25!). If you got lucky and did what I suggested above in collecting any new liquids, you might have bumped into some Liquid Protocite. If not, you can make some from your Biochem Lab. If you're wondering where to get Sulphuric Acid, try sticking some Sulphur in the Extraction Lab.

Anyways, with those two batteries made (you will need both of them for the Arc Smelter alone!), it's time we unlock some crucial stuff.

First up, look up Morphite Ore in your Biochem Lab. It should be simple to make, though a little annoying. It takes Phase Matter, which is why you will probably not be spamming this stuff like crazy. I suggest trying to find any place that drops Phase Matter routinely (the cat ghosts, any floating ghost in a snowy biome, the flying lightbulbs, etc) and use spears (or bows! Check out the armory for more powerful bows!) to kill them to farm some Phase Matter.

Always use the Blast Furnace to smelt your Morphite, don't use the Fission Furnace. The only time you should use your Fission Furnace by now, is if you are making alloys, and other multi-ingredient bars.

With the knowledge to make Morphite, you can now make the 2 AI Chips that the Arc Smelter needs. Sweet!

If you look at the list of Arc Smelter, you will notice that there are two more items you haven't made yet: Focusing Array, and Molten Core.

First up, the Focusing Array. You probably don't even know how to make one of these yet, and that's for a good reason.

To start on this recipe, go to your ship and look for a Crystalline Moon, and hopefully it also mentions Lunari Crystals. If you start getting cold here, make a Heating EPP (I can't remember if you need cold protection or not) and attach a Re-Breather to it. You should be able to make that stuff by now, if not, follow the Vanilla progression a bit to unlock Durasteel and the 3 High End Vanilla Materials (Aegisalt/Ferozium/Violium).

Collect a bunch of Lunari Crystals, and a lot of crystals that you see around the planet. Hopefully you get about 100 of each.

Go back to your lab, and stick Crystals in your Extraction Lab, and you should get Ice Crystals back. You only need 4 for now, and hopefully you've 20-30 Crystals left over.

Stash these materials in your Food Lockers, and go back to your ship and look for an Atropus Planet. Eeew. Yeah, I know, nasty.

While you're here, be careful of the enemies (these are usually rather high level planets) and get yourself a good bit of Quietus Ore and Blood Diamonds (which will unlock the Xithricite recipe).

Go back to your lab, and you should be able to make the 4 Xithricite Crystals you need for the 2 Focusing Arrays that the Arc Smelter needs.

Now, with that said... huff.... puff.... typing this is almost as hard as doing it... j/k. Next, you're going to have some serious fun playing with fire.

The Molten Cores.

D'you remember when the Penguin Dreadwing dropped these? I miss those days... and you will soon, too lol.

First off, we need 40 Liquid Iron. Oh wait... you actually need 160, LOL.

Remember those Metallic Moons and their horrible Iron Rain? Well, dig yourself a little hole to hunker down in, and then dig a liquid trap where the liquid can pool up without touching you and just wait for it to rain. If it grav rains, you'll need to collect this to keep the liquid pool empty. Just don't mine out the background blocks or you'll lose your liquid iron. Get at least 300 of this stuff, maybe more. Making it with the Biochem Lab is a PITA, IMO.

Once you get that done, all you need is some lava and a few core fragments which can be found in pretty much any planet that's not entirely frozen. If you stuck a flag on a forest, lush, or desert you could go there. Either way, go to the core of the planet, and while you're there.... grab a bunch of obsidian too. Now that you have a more powerful Manipulator, it should be rather easy and it could come in handy and you're right there, so why not?

Anyways once you get enough lava (80+ though I would recommend a few hundred as this ain't the only time you'll need said cores), go back to your lab.

You should now have everything to finish your Arc Smelter.

Congratulations!

You now have THE best smelting equipment around. It will take awhile, but power up the two blue batteries with your coal generator (this will take for-evah) and then link the two batteries to the Arc Smelter (each outputs 6v, the smelter needs 12).

More to Come!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  2. glyk

glyk Space Hobo

Awesome guide! Looking forward to the next update!

3. alextulinov

alextulinov Scruffy Nerf-Herder

*tries to keep brain from leaking out of ears*

4. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Was there any part you didn't understand, something I didn't word very well?

5. alextulinov

alextulinov Scruffy Nerf-Herder

No,it's written really well but the amount of new things is just too much,I only barely figured out the matter assembler

6. Godogma

Godogma Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Chitin Armor has changed in a recent update to require synthetic material:
    5 Resin / 3 Synthetic Material / 5 Hardened Carapace = Chitin Chest
    3 Resin / 1 Synthetic Material / 4 Hardened Carapace = Chitin Greaves
    3 Resin / 2 Synthetic Material / 3 Hardened Carapace = Chitin Helmet

5 Coal / 5 Poison = 1 Synthetic Material

Unfortunately this complicates things for getting the Chitin Armor set early, but not too much...

EDIT: If I had thought about it I'd list the best planet type for grabbing poison but I didn't pay enough attention/think about it when I was making my new character and exploring around for the necessary mats.

7. Plasmataz

Plasmataz Subatomic Cosmonaut

I would also recommend bringing a healing water gun to Penumbrite planets, especially since it's relatively easy to make. It only needs 20 healing water, 10 Miracle grass clippings, and 3 titanium bars. Miracle grass can be created using one chloroplast boost gene, one regenerative gene, and three plant fibers. The best part about FU is that liquids can interact with the environment around them. In this case, the healing water gun will neutralize some toxic and harmful blocks it shoots, turning that nasty black slime into harmless jelly.

8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I never really messed around with those guns. Huh, I'll have to try that in this playthrough. I found a spot of miracle grass growing near where I built a house, lol. I'll try planting it to get more seeds/clippings to make one of those guns lol.

9. FIowey

FIowey Subatomic Cosmonaut

I really need to know how to make iodine

10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Caliche Stone (found on Desert Planets) in the Extractor is the easiest way. You also get it through the Atmospheric Condenser once you're able to make and power that.

I think there are also other materials you can extract that from, but Caliche Stone is the most common (and the one the in-game tutorial tells you about).

11. Godogma

Dry Sand provides oil and iodine when ran through the extractor I think? I just woke up... it might be dry dirt. Try both then you'll know.

12. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

There is no "Dry Sand" that I know of, so yes, Dry Dirt is that material I couldn't remember the name of.

13. Godogma

http://starbound.wikia.com/wiki/Dry_Sand

EDIT: The FU wiki says Dry Sand is a source of iodine, along with Kelp, Marestone and Caliche stone... dry sand seems to be the one I use most.

EDIT 2: Flesh Pile blocks are also a source of iodine though a vastly inefficient and gruesome one.

EDIT 3: I don't think the wiki is accurate on the Marestone; then again I only had enough to cycle the extractor once but I didn't get any iodine from that one section of blocks.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  14. Dante1120

Dante1120 Astral Cartographer

Wiki doesn't help, how do I get Deuterium?

15. Plasmataz

Plasmataz Subatomic Cosmonaut

Advanced centrifuge and water, or as a rare drop from the atmospheric condenser.

16. Dante1120

Dante1120 Astral Cartographer

Ah..... okay!

17. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I should add a section in the guide, but I'll add it down here. If you want to know anything about Frackin'Universe, go to its GitHub Page.

Step 1: Go to https://github.com/sayterdarkwynd/FrackinUniverse
    Step 2: Go to the top of this page, see "This Repository:" and type whatever you're looking for, as you see it in this game. Let's say for example, Deuterium.
    Step 3: Look at the results, you'll see that it is listed in centrifuge2.object, and atmoscondenser.object.

Therefore, it seems to come from the 2nd centrifuge and the condenser.

If you're looking up how to learn a blueprint, you're looking at anything that says "LearnBlueprintsOnPickup:"

If the thing you're looking for has two words, then you need to find the ItemID first, and that will usually be in its item file, for example if you search for "Focusing Array", you'll see 1 file come up (which is its .item file). Clicking on that, you'll see that its ItemName is "ff_focusingarray".

Then you'd enter "ff_focusingarray" into the search box and you'll see that diamond.item.patch and xithricitecrystal.item both have "ff_focusingarray" in their "LearnBlueprintsOnPickup" fields, which means you can pick up a diamond OR xithricite crystal to unlock Focusing Array.

18. 7deadlydwarves

7deadlydwarves Void-Bound Voyager

How do you get Bug Shells for the Mutavisk armor?

19. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Use a Bug Net on the big black bugs (beetles) you find on many planets or kill the bee enemies (not the friendly ones!) you find in Hive Biomes.

20. snrubwr

snrubwr Void-Bound Voyager

How would you recommend powering a lab with electricity on an asteroid ?