1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed [GUIDE] Fix for low FPS on high-end computers

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Sykes, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmerinsk

bmerinsk Void-Bound Voyager

I followed the steps exactly and it fixed ALL of my fps problems. All I deleted were a couple things i found during the process that were related to mods for terraria and it fixed everything. I don't even understand how that helped but I'm grateful!! Thank you!

(sorry if i don't give all the specs but : Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, AMD Radeon HD 7700 series, 8 gb ram. 1440x900)

2. DH40K

DH40K Aquatic Astronaut

This thread should be sitckied!

3. YumYumKittyloaf

YumYumKittyloaf Subatomic Cosmonaut

Worked! Thanks! Now everything is buttery smooth on 1080p!. Oddly enough, it was an entry for grand theft auto 4 in that registry folder but deleting it helped.

4. Zarty55

Zarty55 Space Hobo

I7 3770
    GTX 670
    8Gb RAM

Worked like a charm! Thank you very much :)

5. Crystal Noir

Crystal Noir Space Hobo

Hi,

Doesn't fix anything for me :-( because I try both windows and linux and the problem is the same on both.

On Windows I tried to delete keys etc... but nothing changes. So I try to launch the game on Linux and.....same problem so this is an other thing for me, may be lack of optimisation.

spec : windows 8.1, Phenom II 555, 4 Go RAM / Linux Mint 16

6. zcbud12

zcbud12 Space Hobo

THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is the fix that worked for me :D

7. StoutyMcStoutStout

StoutyMcStoutStout Space Hobo

8. zantanzuken

zantanzuken Subatomic Cosmonaut

worked, but now i'm getting the same problem other people have had with teleporting to your ship multiple times before reaching the planet. oh well?

9. olDirdey

olDirdey Space Penguin Leader

Same problem here. GPU is still in P8 State while the Game is running. But even to force the game to use the Nvidia Card it´s still the same problem. GPU Load is 5-12% and thats nothing :)

10. Wayfarer

Wayfarer Orbital Explorer

This worked amazingly for me. I have a top end machine and was getting around 5fps most of the time. After doing this, am now getting 60fps with no slow down at all. Amazing the difference it makes. Thank you!

Sykes likes this.
  11. V3nom

V3nom Starship Captain

Just tried on an old easynote TX86, and the game jumped from less than 10FPS constant to 20-30 fps and above.
    The game just finally works fine according to the specs of this PC.
    Thanks for this again :)

12. kix_flips

kix_flips Master Chief

My AppCompatFlags folder does not have a layers folder. Help please!

13. kobebryant2496

kobebryant2496 Space Hobo

I dont have the layers file i went to the exact process showed but i dont see a layers file
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. BitHorizon

BitHorizon Ketchup Robot

Works perfectly! Thank you!

I was wondering why Starbound was lagging on a 60hz monitor with an NVidia GTX 675! Thanks again, man!

15. Generalpiggle

Generalpiggle Space Hobo

The recommended fix above hasn't made any impact, most likely because I couldn't find anything linking to steam. However I did disable steam overlay and this made the game slightly faster. Any help? These are the specs I could find for my laptop.
    AMD Dual-Core Processor E-350 500 GB HDD
    15.6" HD LED LCD DVD-Super Multi DL drive
    AMD Radeon TM HD 6310 Acer Nplify TM 802. 11b/g/n
    4 GB DDR3 Memory 6-Cell Li-On Battery

16. Generalpiggle

Generalpiggle Space Hobo

I found out an alternate fix until the game gets smoother/faster for me: Open up windows task manager when the game is open, switch to processes and right click on Starbound.exe or whatever it shows as for you, go to set priority and set it to high this made my game run a bit faster. Although the effects of this with other things open I don't know. Use at your own risk because the warning it gives says setting different priority may make windows unstable. (Something along the lines of that.)

17. notkris

notkris Space Spelunker

HOLY NUTS IT WORKED. tears of joy ;_;

18. Ronillek

Ronillek Void-Bound Voyager

Hello guys!

I wanted to try this way of upgrading FPS because playing Starbound at my PC is just impossible. FPS are all the time about 5-10 and never go up.

I have a trouble with steps 4 and 5.

As it came to edit regedit i noticed... That I don't even have a thing named AppCompatLayers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any suggestions about that? I really wish I could play Starbound normally but even gamebooster (with ALL options turned ON) cannot handle SB at my computer.

19. The Alien Way

The Alien Way Existential Complex

I'm not sure at all, but you could check inside Compatibility or Compatibility32, though they're probably unrelated.. Doubt it'd be too harmful to delete any Steam-related things out of them, but I'd probably wait on someone more.. certain.. to post their thoughts :p

20. Marldew

Marldew Void-Bound Voyager

I'm getting around 10 fps. I'm not really sure about my specs but i can run games like Terraria and Minecraft at over 60 fps. I have a pretty low end PC but it should run this at at least 30 fps. i tried to do this but it didn't help.
    I would love to be able to play this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.