1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Gross Over-analysis of the New Screen

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DeVoid, Apr 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeVoid

DeVoid Void-Bound Voyager

[​IMG]

As has already been mostly noted, the devs posted this new screen. I, wishing to pursue a field in engineering, feel the need to do a gross over-analysis of this wonderful screen to find out all I can about it.

And thus, it beings.

Notes on the building
    • Clearly a metallic building with very nice windows
    • Uses glass in both the foreground and background layers, a nice feature
    • The metal panels flow well with slight variation in both foreground and background layers
    • Awesome furniture, including two large and small egg chairs :giggle: , three different tables, two chairs tilted for a 3-d effect, crates (possibly for storage or just aesthetics), computer screens, and lastly, stairs (a wonderful feature).
    Notes on environment
    • A crystal world, with crystal tree and what appears to be crystal grass (I wonder if they are used in crafting?)
    • Two types of stone at the bottom, a darker stone with fills most of the bottom section of the screen and a lighter stone, on the far left.
    • It all flows very nicely as well
    Notes on characters
    • Firstly - and most notable for me - is a space monkey wearing armor and wielding a blaster of some sort. Rho stated about the picture, "Here’s Tiy messing with a flashlight whilst I stand lookout." This being said, Rho is possibly the space monkey on lookout, maybe confirming (or at least, possibly insinuating) at different playable races.
    • A female character that appears to be messing with a flashlight in the building. Possibly Tiy, according to Rho. Has nice looking blue armor as well.
    • A small, harmless looking alien-bunny-teletubby-thing skipping though the crystal grass.
    • And lastly, in the far bottom right, what at first glance looked like a fish to me, but after further thought, was possibly a worm-like creature of some sort. Possibly chasing the teletubby.
    Well yeah, that's about it from the new screen. I hope my obsessive and gross over-analyzation of the screen wasn't too terribly bad. Hopefully you enjoyed it somewhat.

Wayne, Zailiner and Breather like this.
  2. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

Nice analysis. :up:

3. Ryou Takeshi

Ryou Takeshi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's basically what each and every one of us already analyzed, though. No offense.

4. DeVoid

Why thank you! :D

5. orz

orz Tentacle Wrangler

I said this earlier in IRC but feel a need to restate it here. The 3d effect on the furniture, especially that white book case on the second floor and the crates looks really really out of place with the rest of the sprites.

SAO likes this.
  6. DeVoid

Very true, I just felt a slight need to put it in writing and maybe point out something someone may have missed.

7. KuraiRyuu

KuraiRyuu Space Kumquat

The background blocks of the base are also 3d looking. Could be good for small decorations such as plants in the background at the windows.

8. LetzShake

LetzShake Void-Bound Voyager

I didn't even notice the window at first. Hopefully they have borders or something in the future to make them more noticeable.

9. Landlaw

Landlaw Scruffy Nerf-Herder

and my edited image?
    [​IMG]

10. orz

orz Tentacle Wrangler

it's more about the perspective imo

11. Madmarlon

Madmarlon Pangalactic Porcupine

Haha, looks awesome! Reminds me of the goblin invasion in Terraria.

SAO likes this.
  12. SAO

SAO 2.7182818284590...

I wonder if the different metal blocks are just the same material with a random pattern, or different materials?

And what do you think the crystal tree will be used for?

Is the glass made by it?

13. creepwolf

creepwolf Giant Laser Beams

the bricks and furniture have shadows if you look closely also there doesn't seem to be any doors. the monkey has a backpack too which might be a jetpack

14. Wayne

Wayne Void-Bound Voyager

Too bad they have hidden the HUD for this screenshot, I hope we will get another screenshot but with the HUD, so we get more information from one screenshot...

15. DawnOfNights

DawnOfNights Scruffy Nerf-Herder

mmmm... I might not be a big deal, but aren't you guys seeing an absence of an door? Call me crazy, but how do they get in normally?

16. Ketra

Ketra Starship Captain

Fut the Wuk

17. Madmarlon

Madmarlon Pangalactic Porcupine

Maybe from below or from the balcony?
    Or they just don't want to give any info on doors away.

18. Landlaw

Landlaw Scruffy Nerf-Herder

LOL

19. TheMurumasa

TheMurumasa Existential Complex

Great analysis, Better than my video one :p
    I did have a few different points to you.

Devon Castleman and Wayne like this.
  20. Wayne

Wayne Void-Bound Voyager

I was told that the 'man eating plant' is actually a slug kind of creature.
    Just wanted to tell you :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.