graphic improvement with HQ-filter or Super-Eagle

Discussion in 'Other' started by XeToRoG, Apr 26, 2013.

1. x6snake6x

x6snake6x Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like 2xSai, it seems to be the most natural. Not sure I'd be using filters with this game but it's a good idea !

2. KuroHinotori

KuroHinotori Spaceman Spiff

I think it looks best when the filter isn't applied to the characters, maybe an option for terrain or terrain and characters.

XeToRoG likes this.
  3. Axerron

Axerron Phantasmal Quasar

That planet in the Glitch ship screenshot actually looks horrible. Without filter continents feel more indented and realistic, with filter they just seem like huge brown blops :D

I also agree that characters look better without filter. But some of those terrain screenshots are kinda nice.

4. XeToRoG

XeToRoG Void-Bound Voyager

Heres the original: i.imgur.com/8M7SkW6.png
    You are right it looks more blocky as the original ... thats because the original planet has more details as the rest of the image. Downscaling causes these artifacts.

In the engine/ ingame i suggest to keep the background layer as it is. Filter the ship and draw it afterwards. Might result in this maybe:
    3 Layers total { Background - Ship - Characters }
    ship_3xBR.png http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?attachments/ship_3xbr-png.33278/

edit:
    My final compare of these filters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_art_scaling_algorithms):

Nearest Neighbor (current ingame filter technique):
    00_nn.png community.playstarbound.com/index.php?attachments/00_nn-png.33256/
    Scale 3x:
    01_scale3.png community.playstarbound.com/index.php?attachments/01_scale3-png.33257/
    HQx 3:
    02_hqx3.png community.playstarbound.com/index.php?attachments/02_hqX3-png.33258/
    xBR3:
    03_xbr3.png community.playstarbound.com/index.php?attachments/03_xbr3-png.33259/

Bearminator likes this.
  5. Bearminator

Bearminator Subatomic Cosmonaut

That's kinda cool. Nice topic :lolwut:

6. Axerron

Wow, you put a lot of work into those. And truth to be told, it looks really nice with the use of layers and with filters applied only to structures and terrain.

Nice work :)

KuroHinotori likes this.
  7. KuroHinotori

This thread needs some more love if Chucklefish is going to see it. :confused:

8. Axerron

I don't actually think this needs to be implemented in the game itself. It seems that it can be added quite easily as a mod, right?

Paladin_IMS likes this.
  9. KuroHinotori

Maybe, I don't know anything about modding but terrain-wise this could be pretty good so hopefully someone will add it.

10. XeToRoG

XeToRoG Void-Bound Voyager

:up: - for a mod that achieves something like this.
    :up:² - if it's aviable as an ingame option

Want more stuff? :iswydt:
    z_01.png z_02.png z_03.png z_04.png
    z_05.png z_06.png z_07.png
    These screenshots are filtered with 3xBR. The characters kept original.

'Just' filtered:
    x_01.png x_03.png x_02.png
    x_04.png x_05.png x_06.png x_07.png
    Ctrl+Click please so i dont need 2 link :)

Here's the code to do all this stuff on the graphics-card:
    https://github.com/libretro/common-shaders/tree/master/xBR

@Axerron:
    Sure you can write a mod. If the game runs with dx9 it should be pretty simple BUT you never ever get such a good quality as if the developer themself implement it!

Thats my opinion what the game should target:
    #1 quality & complexity in gameplay
    #2 replayability
    #3 content
    #4 sound
    #5 graphics

I think this 200-300 lines of code isn't too much to add. At least they should give it a try.. :chucklefish:

DJYawe, DuB, Zailiner and 1 other person like this.
  11. TheSneez

TheSneez Scruffy Nerf-Herder

that looks pretty awsome

12. TenT

TenT Orbital Explorer

Terrain blended so well with the background using the filters.

13. Graham

Graham Subatomic Cosmonaut

King Arthurs Gold has this filter- there's just a 'smooth filter' box in the menu that you can turn on or off in the middle of a game. Until now I thought it was just different textures. I'm still in shock that this code can seem like its adding detail into an image.

14. Relinies

Relinies King Homestuck III

I would love this if it made it into the game.
    So this is a bump to let more people see the suggestion!

DuB and WoxandWarf like this.
  15. Mushie

Mushie Phantasmal Quasar

Would be cool if they made it as an ghrapical filter option along with several others (couse i prefear normal pixels, but I'm sure some people prefear this too)

16. Sazaraki

Sazaraki Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think it would be ok for an optional thing. I like the graphics the way they are :) But I wouldn't be upset if they did change them.

Paladin_IMS likes this.
  17. Xotano

Xotano Subatomic Cosmonaut

pretty interesting looking, i like it but i like normal pixels as well, this as an option would be pretty cool.
    i support this as long as it would be optional :p

Paladin_IMS and KuroHinotori like this.
  18. The Terrain and most items / textures simply look Awesome in this visual. ;)

19. Starfinder

Starfinder Big Damn Hero

They're missing out.

20. Bearminator

Bearminator Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yep