1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed GOG Version ?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Skysect, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skysect

Skysect Void-Bound Voyager

Now I saw GOG version introduced , I never wanted Steam key when I bought it from here , now could we replace our keys with GOG key ? Because I always prefer DRM-free version . Thanks .

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

There are so many Chucklefish Published Games - please be more specific.
    If you are talking about Starbound - Starbound is already DRM Free on steam.

There is a massive misconception in the populace that there are no DRM free games on Steam, Starbound is one of the games on Steam that contains no DRM.

3. Skysect

Yes I am speaking about Starbound . So if we can't choose platform why we buying it from main website ? I bought it for support early development but seems I am locked to Steam now

4. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

You are 'locked' to Steam solely for the initial download of the game and any future updates. However, if you do not want to update, then you can opt out of future automatic updates and play the game without Steam ever again. Evidence:

[​IMG]

Even though I am logged in to Steam, I did not launch the game through Steam so I am not "in-game" even though Starbound is obviously open.

You do not need to be logged into Steam to play the game. You just need to know where the game files are at and click the launcher. For me, the files are at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound

5. Hey!

Starbound is DRM-free on Steam, as Mackinz noted, in that you can drag the files out of your Steam folder, move them, copy them, etc. You just need a Steam account to download them.
    However, we know that a small portion of backers don't have a Steam account and would prefer a direct download. Providing them with a direct download through the Humble page where they initially received their Steam key is something we're looking into.
    The reason it was easier to provide a DRM-free version of Starbound through GOG at this stage in development is their new In-Dev program, as well as the Galaxy client which can be used to install/update games.

DarthTrethon and Thaecc like this.
  6. Skysect

So we can't get a GOG key with Pixel Tier ? If we can't get it from pixel tier , I am buying it from GOG again . And then same lesson again ; never buy something before appear your favorite store even for support development .

Thaecc likes this.
  7. Gogmagog

Gogmagog Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Don't split hairs!
    Steam is DRM. GAME OVER
    It is insignificant if i have to pollute my computer for 5 minutes or 5 years.
    And it is unconcerned if the snake (Steam) is toxic (distribution, always on, update, ranking, achievements or whatever sin the evil is coming up with)
    or nonvenomous (DRM-free). YOU ARE BITTEN.
    SO senseless to praise colors in the land of the blind.

But enough rage today for Gabe Newells Army of Darkness.
    Follow him, you get one's just deserts.
    Ask the banned Counterstrike community-servers this week.

Now to the bright side:
    to give us the opportunity to buy Starbound at GOG.com, thank you very much.

THANNNNNNNK YOOOOOOOOUUUU VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY M U C H !!! (one for every race in your universe)

Now we HAVE A CHOICE.
    And we have not to choose between the devil and the deep blue sea.
    This is OUR free decision, this is democracy, this is freedom.

In GOG i trust. And maybe one day again in Chucklefish too.
    May the force be with you and live long and prosper!

DarthTrethon likes this.
  8. A DRM-free version of the game was listed in the pre-order tier, but GOG keys were not, which is why we're working on an easier solution for direct downloads via Humble for people who wanted to obtain a copy without ever having to log into Steam.
    Thank you for your support, and sorry for the confusion! I will let you know when I have some more info regarding a direct download. :) Shouldn't be long.

9. biffunderstudy

biffunderstudy Space Hobo

Personally I would say a "a non-Steam DRM-free copy of Starbound" is now available as per "You'll receive immediate access to the Starbound beta on Steam Early access, a digital copy of the game's soundtrack and, when available, a non-Steam DRM-free copy of Starbound." Since a GOG version is a DRM free version and is non-steam but then I guess you guys know better. If only I had know 2 years ago I would be able to buy the game discounted on GOG before I would recieve it through the humble store I could be playing it now. I guess you live and learn.

10. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Even they were not aware 2 years ago it would be available on GOG.
    As Molly said - the development came into fruition because of GoG Galaxy a new client similar to Steam developed by GoG, which only started Beta summer last year.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  11. Gogmagog

Gogmagog Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As further information, if you purchase Starbound over GOG.com (at 29 Jan, 2016), you receive Beta v. Glad Giraffe - Update 3 (obviously the stable one) of 16 Dec 2015.
    You can download and install (1.3 GB download, 1.5 GB installed) it without GoG Galaxy, but Galaxy provides more comfort (rollback etc). Your Choice.

Typing this while listening the theme of starbound-client in the background. Remembers me on Elite and some space stations :).
    Thankfully

12. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

I hate Steam and never used beyond a couple of DRM free games I backed elsewhere including Starbound. With that said I don't regret having used it a little for what I did but very happy to be rid it and being able to buy it from GOG. Chucklefish deserve all the support and success possible. Also looking forward to buying and playing Starbound on PS4 when it releases there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.