1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Notice Glad Giraffe - Common Problems and Their Solutions

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by The | Suit, Aug 29, 2015.

1. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

UNABLE TO LAUNCH GAME - VC ERROR - API MS ERROR
    • Receiving Error VC 2015
    • Or api-ms-win-crt-11-1-0.dll
    • Installing M
    • Game launches and cloes
    Starbound requires Visual C++ 2015 to be installed in order for it to work.
    In your starbound folder

[​IMG]

You will see a folder pre-req
    Inside you will see a few files.
    If you have a 32 bit system install VC 86
    If you have a 64 bit system install VC 64.

If you are having problems with installing VC - there is a problem with your windows installation. Either your Windows Updater has been disabled \ damaged \ modified or you do not have critical upgrades which are required for VC 2015 installation or you do not have service pack 1. You can get the further assistance of the issue in this link
    http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/starbound-and-visual-c-2015-installer-issues.100091/

CHARACTER DELETED

Character deletion can occur either because you removed a mod which the character is dependent on. Or the character has become corrupted. If it is due to a mod - based on the type of mod, reinstalling the mod and removing any tech's associated with it should allow you to "uninstall" the mod. May not work in every case. In case of mods with quests - you may need to use a 3rd party unsupported program like star cheat.

If your character got corrupted you can restore it to a previous state by following this video

RENAME ERROR

If you recieve an error saying Unable to rename files.
    Make sure you view hidden file extensions first
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/show-hide-file-name-extensions

Go to your starbound folder.
    rename your giraffe_storage folder to anything you want.
    Create a new giraffe_storage folder and copy the player + universe folder of the old one into the new one.
    Launch game.

JSON ERROR

If you have mods installed almost all references to JSON errors are most likely due to a mod. It either could be out dated or has a unresolved bug. You will need to contact the mod author as the author is responsible for the tech support of the issue. If you have tons of mods installed, you will need to remove all of them and install them one at a time and find out which mod is causing the error.

If you never had any mods installed and reciving the error [ on stable or unstable ] , please create a bug report on what the error exactly said by submitting your starbound.log file and what you were doing when you received the error.

See the video on how to submit the starbound.log

USER INTERFACE IS CUT OFF OR DOESN"T FIT WINDOW
    For some windows users the user interface may be cut off. This is due to a high dpi scaling.
    Go to your starbound.folder go to the exe file you typically use.
    Right click --> properties --> compatability --> Disable high DPI scaling.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    CorraidhĂ­n likes this.
  2. Shadedwalk

Shadedwalk Yeah, You!

Not sure where to leave this one, but it is mildly demoralizing.

Steam downloaded the patch. Read the patch notes. Acknowledged that I should be running this game in the 64 bit launch, I had not been before this. Tried to launch it in 64 bit, game loaded in on the ship with a Journal entry that I'm guessing was for an Avian Starting character about losing belief in their god and found that I could not interact with anything. attempts to teleport to the surface, where I had originally logged out, either dropped me back on the ship or froze with the Teleport screen continuously playing.

I have a few thoughts on how I screwed up, but if there is any help for this one, I'd be thankful. Starting over due to a corrupted file might be enough to put me off of this for a while.

3. The | Suit

The planet seems to be corrupted. Go to the ship console and find the coordinates for the planet.
    Then quit the game go to your giraffe_storage folder , inside is a universe folder and look for the planet with those coordinates X - y- Z where x and y are the coordinates .
    And either delete that file or move that file out of the universe folder.

4. The | Suit

You will need to post in this thread
    http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/starbound-and-visual-c-2015-installer-issues.100091/

It is dedicated for that issue.

turn_to_rust likes this.
  5. CatTheHuman

CatTheHuman Intergalactic Tourist

I haven't seen this one yet, so sorry if It's already been discussed: I am unable to continue past the first solar system in my newly-updated game. I'm running Beta v.Pleased Giraffe - Update 3, and am currently unable to craft steel armor on ANY of my characters, making it impossible to advance onto the next phase of the game. I have Steel Bars in my inventory, and can make anything else using steel, but cannot find the recipes for and cannot craft any Steel Armor, It is very frustrating! Please help!!

6. The | Suit

Are you looking for something called "Steel Armor" or - are you looking for armor which uses steel as an ingredent?
    Because there is no such thing as steel armor, but there are armors which use steel as an ingredient which is what you are actually suppose to make.

Also you may need to destroy the work bench and pick it up again to learn the recipe.

7. CatTheHuman

CatTheHuman Intergalactic Tourist

You're right, I was just looking for the second tier armor made of steel.

Also! After destroying the work bench (and all other crafting items), I was finally able to find the recipes in the Metalwork Station :)

Thank you very much for your help!

8. Shadedwalk

Shadedwalk Yeah, You!

I believe that is within my ability. Now there is one other issue. The character is locked in the Teleport pad room with no doors to effect and I cannot move out of that space. How can I get out to check the Console?

9. The | Suit

How is that even possible?
    Or do you mean you can't access the door because its locked?
    Just use /admin to upgrade the ship.

10. Shadedwalk

Shadedwalk Yeah, You!

I can concur with your incredulity. To further describe the problem:
    When I loaded in after the update, it looked like I was about to load in where I had originally saved on the Planet I was exploring, before my character got on screen it shifted so that I was on my ship in the Teleporting bay. At this point, I was able to see most of the things that I had put on my ship and the walls that I had change but the two doors on either side of the lift were seemingly invisible. I could walk up to them and it looked like I was running into a wall. I tried to use the MM to remove the door, this did not work. I tried to leave the game without saving, Alt F4, (I'm aware that this is probably not the best idea, but I was really worried about the game "Saving" this error, and hoped that by bypassing the Save and Exit option it may allow the game to load properly. Obviously not the case...) this only generated a request from windows to be allow to find the problem,.. silly windows. I loaded back in and it now fully ignored the planet and put me right back into the Teleporting chamber. Same issues exist.

Thing that might be of note, I am currently using the "Automatic Doors" mod,... maybe this is part of the issue?

When using the console to upgrade the ship, how will the things I have on the ship react to that? (I'm currently in a 4th (?) Class ship, and looking for the Avian Treasure map to be able to try for the next upgrade. Most of the ship has some modification or other.) What should I be specifying as the change to it and what will be lost when it does?

11. The | Suit

Without a picture I am really not sure what is going on.
    If you are talking about invisible walls - then placing a tile over over the wall and removing it usually works to reset the tile information.
    You can always try removing automatic doors, but since its a mod I don't know anything about it.
    You may want to contact the mod author in that case.

Billing and Support is only for purely vanilla issues - since mods can easily alter mechanics there really is no way for me to give support.
    My suggestion is remove all mods - make a new char. See if the issue persists in a pure vanilla environment. [ Easiest option is just to rename your giraffe_storage to anything else - that way you can restore it when you know if something is still broken - or if its been fixed ]
    If it doesn't - its probably mod related.

12. SilverLancer

SilverLancer Subatomic Cosmonaut

If you are using the automatic doors mod on Pleased Giraffe please stop what you are doing and delete it

The mod is wholly incompatible with this version
    When I had it the game would cause it to be impossible to teleport, and there were invisible tile issues as well

Removing the mod helped me tremendously, and fixed any gamebreaking bugs I had

13. drawnate

drawnate Void-Bound Voyager

I'm in need of some help with my ship. I decided that their was no need to delete my old character so I continued to play as them after the patch. Somehow, after the third patch for the update came out, i lost all of my quest completion data and now I can't teleport down to the surface because it's wanting me to enable the matter manipulator, which it fails to do and the AI tells me that it failed. I'm now stuck on my ship and in need of help getting back out of the ship because of this. Any suggestions?

I forgot to ask but can i possibly fix it with the in game commands?

Edit: somehow the game just started working right again, still have the enable message from the AI but i've fixed the problem with getting to the teleporter.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  14. dar601

dar601 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

you should also put how in the nightly, devs change the starter planet when they are reworking planets (i.e. Poisonous Oceans, tundra/ice/frozen)

15. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

This thread is for Pleased Giraffe. Nightly is not Pleased Giraffe, it's a version above it.

SilverLancer likes this.
  16. dar601

dar601 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

ok, well i think there still should be a notice about that though, because there are 10-20 threads because of it

17. Looka

Looka Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Done and... nothing.
    Cattura Rename error.PNG
    I already tried checking the cache and reinstalling the whole game. What should I do now?

18. The | Suit

rename your giraffe_storage to anything you want and launch game.

Looka likes this.
  19. Looka

Looka Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thank you!:iswydt:

20. HAR314

HAR314 Void-Bound Voyager

I can't launch the game, it loads and then crashes. I get a message as follows:
    Fatal Exception caught: (StarException) An error occurred during loading:
    (ItemException) Could not create blueprint item from recipe
    Caused by: (ItemException) No such item 'florannotesCodex'
    It could be from Creative Mode, please verify my theory. If that is a file, it musn't be installed I think, but I can't get to the items area