1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Give us back all that content!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Azraile, May 22, 2015.

1. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Plenty of people used to complain that it was too easy to find towns and dungeons, that all the planets hade to many of them.

So, chucklefish simply cant make everyone happy.

Personaly i prefear it this way. Whats the point of exploration if you can find every type of dungeon on the first 10 worlds you visit?

Off course, having misc quests (necessary for ship upgrades) that require you too find stuff like that isent a good idea: Exploration should be rewarded certainly, but not with something as necessary as ship upgrades, all type of players should be able to get those.

2. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Survival was, at most, psychological.It was almost non existent, a figment of the eather plane, a joke, and I am having problems treating it with the minimal consideration whatsoever.

Reducing planet Dungeons was probly needed anyhoo, for the future changes.

I will agree, that the asteroid change is somewhat pointless, they could have just reduced ores, and introducing some new Tech Debris, maybe just some dead space themed Stations, who knows, that sort of stuff would be quite interesting, and it is indeed a shame it was ditched, at least for now.

I agree, that new quests and nanosuits are god awful ,and thankfully, placeholders.As soon as they are removed, and enhanced, ill play the game again.

But honestly, this change had it coming, new content needs to enter, and whilst the changes were a tad early, it was quite needed.

Whilst Chuckle can't please everyone, great additions are coming and yet come, fruit from this change.We should wait, for more is to come.

Mackinz and Jonesy like this.
  3. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

Is there a mod out for hunger/temp? I'd like to install it if it brought the aspects back.

4. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I'd think at this point, it's become more obvious that a looooooot of the initial Giraffe build's finer detail was placeholder/testing to be reworked later, simply getting a potential system in place at all.

Now that they know they can make a functioning quest system with actions having consequences, they can make it more interesting and less mandatory. Now that they have upgradeable techs/gear, they can open up the ways you obtain them without having them be so inextricably tied to quests and ship upgrades. Now that they know they can partition off types of structures, biomes and weather among the planet-types and star-types, they can refine and add to that to make them more varied without just being completely random. (I was not a fan of the nigh-completely-random planet creation.)

The amount of new features and refined features is snowballing, and that's a good sign. It means to foundations laid out in the Giraffe overhaul work.

5. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

I agree they needed to lower the spawn rate but they lowered it too far. x.x
    And it needs to be different between planets based on size.

Survival being mostly psychological don't make it any less engaging =p

vanella likes this.
  6. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

No, it would be it being little more than a rudimentary test of the Pavlovian Response that made it less engaging.

7. VarekRaith

VarekRaith Phantasmal Quasar

Hunger was no less tedious* than healing yourself with bandages and stims.
    Let's remove those and replace it with a static health regen.
    Amiright?!
    /Sarc

*Really, if feeding yourself every 10 or so minutes is tedious... Good grief, man.

8. Dust

Dust Giant Laser Beams

It was tedious though, and a distraction from the rest of the gameplay. What did the hunger system really add to the game?

STCW262 and M_Sipher like this.
  9. The MechE

Challenge and a purpose for food. Right now, there are tons of food items in the game that don't really do anything.

It's basically similar to the whole casual/hardcore difficulty choices. Just adds more challenge

Adamiks and vanella like this.
  10. VarekRaith

VarekRaith Phantasmal Quasar

How was it tedious?
    How was it a distraction?

11. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

A mandatory annoyance. Not a challenge because food is easy to get. It was like a second health bar with a persistent status effect. That is not a challenge.

12. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

A - That is about they only way any mood can be set in a game. It's not like there is tech to make you feel hungry when your av dose.
    B - That can be said about prity much every aspect of about every game ever made. So your point is kinda moot.[DOUBLEPOST=1432608367][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Not on it's own, but it was combined with the fact the surface monsters became more numerous, stronger, and aggressive at night, and that you had the temperature drops. I think animals could ruin crops to, or that might have been just mine craft lol idk.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  13. DrgnKakashi

DrgnKakashi Subatomic Cosmonaut

It was just minecraft.

Crops can be grown indoors anyways and if you were up for some extra monster slaying, waiting till night was the thing to do

14. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

I do miss that feeling of plopping down a campfire at night to warm up from the cold.... even if the mechanic was kinda bad, the atmosphere was nice.

15. DrgnKakashi

DrgnKakashi Subatomic Cosmonaut

Lol yeah, Dirt hut with a camp fire :D

16. MrToni300

MrToni300 Ketchup Robot

Yeah of course Kakashi, because i am real nightmare to zombie horde.

17. The MechE

Wait, you mean monsters were more numerous and stronger at night? That's awesome! Why did they change that?

I see what you mean. I'd still enjoy the option of having it rather than flat out removal though. I'm not quite sure why they decided to just throw all their work away instead of leaving it in as an optional feature. Maybe they didn't want to have to support it or something.

18. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

They have said, and it has been reiterated countless times, they plan on bringing it back but in a different form. They weren't happy with it in its current form so they removed it till they have had time to properly address it.

People seem of skip over this part for god knows what reason, instead they jump to "Why did they remove it rabble rabble!". This is typical game development practice.

19. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

Well it don't help they didn't say it was temporary until reevaluation in the patch notes. I like the idea of a well feed buff in addition to taking damage slowly when it's empty. Though not so much the suggestions that have come up so far, maybe a very slow regen when your full.

20. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

To be more precise, they have said that hunger will likely return in some form as part of a higher difficulty, keyword being "likely".

When pressed they dont want too guarantee it.