1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Give us back all that content!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Azraile, May 22, 2015.

1. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

That could be fixed by making towns their own type of structure so that they don´t have a competing chance to spawn with dungeons.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Fix implied a problem. I like it as is. There shouldnt be a town on damn near every planet, that kinda defeats the feeling of space. What's the point in exploring when technically most all planets have already been explored? Where's the sense of wounder and amazement when you come to a strange new world, only to find an avian town?

3. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

But that would allow to make towns more common (Of course, without causing them to pretty much alaway spawn) without making dungeons rarer, along with allowing the possibility of more kinds of dungeons without making the other dungeons and towns less common than they already are.

4. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

There are 0-1 dungeons, there isn't a garentee you will find one on a planet. This is the problem, there was a chance to have like up to 3 dungeons or so on a planet. The reason villages became so rare is because the cut it down to 0-1, regarless of planet size.

5. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

To be fair, I have just gotten back into playing a day ago. A while back when I was playing just after the Winter Patch came out, I shit you not: I encountered planets with absolutely nothing on the surface. Towns, Dungeons, nothing. So who knows, maybe that was just back then?

Although, what you said brings up a disturbing implication.

... what if "microdungeons" count towards that alleged "quota"? Is it possible I will encounter planets with no towns or dungeons because "Oh well we'll give you a bunch of these little ones deep underground. You don't need a big one."?

6. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

That could be the case, that collectively micro dungeons count as one whole dungeon.

7. VarekRaith

VarekRaith Phantasmal Quasar

Back when hunger was in, there was a simple mod that disabled it.
    That's all they should've done so a mod could re-enable it.
    But no. They ripped out the code entirely.

Adamiks, vanella and NerArth like this.
  8. Dust

Dust Giant Laser Beams

I think it's 50/50 at the moment if hunger is going to be reintroduced at all, but if it does get reintroduced they want it to be better than what it was previously. And if your intention is to completely redesign a system then wiping the slate clean is a good first step.

personally it won't bother me much either way, if they add it in again or not.

9. VarekRaith

VarekRaith Phantasmal Quasar

Being a cynic, I don't think hunger or temp are coming back at all. Can't 'burden' the playerbase.
    :rolleyes:

10. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

I put up a poll seams to be leaning to the way things where before the patch

11. Rounded Pebbles

Rounded Pebbles Astral Cartographer

TL;DR: I agree with bringing hunger back and making asteroid fields more interesting, and disagree with the moons and dungeon statement

Although I wasn't around for the hunger/temperature days, from what I've read it was an interesting survival system and I would love to see it come back into the game without the need of a mod so I totally agree. I don't like the idea of how food is a luxury that is almost lackluster compared to the regeneration combo of Bottled Healing Water and spamming any of the Bandages.

This isn't a terribly bad thing seeing as it brings in something different that you need to do every once in a while (since there's one in every star system it brings seemingly limitless fuel as well ^^

I find this point completely invalid. As lazarus78 and i'm sure other people have noted, every planet that's not supposed to have nothing on it has at least SOMETHING for you to explore. I was able to find all of the quest items within 5 close together planets in little time with a bit of exploration. I will admit that finding something specific can be a pain (grrrr USCM stone sign grrr) but exploring is a major part of the game that can be a lot of fun :DD

I do agree with this. Asteroid fields seem to just be something you can visit in case you feel like skydiving in space and hoping to not hit a rock for as long as possible.

12. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

Stim sand bandages where around and most unprepared foods didn't or barely healed you.

But you had to make sure you had some food ether from a crop or from slaughtering the local wildlife, but if you spent some time fixing a meal in the kitchen you got rewarded by it.

13. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

I don't actually agree with this. That's what default settings are for. In my opinion, choices should be able to be made for more experienced players. :)

14. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

Yah I agree, giving power to the players is a good thing not a bad thing.

Look at little big planet, that was a game about putting game development in the hands of the players and it was a MASIVE hit.

vanella likes this.
  15. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

Plus, that's kind of Starbound's thing if we look at how they've tried to make this game easily modable by players.

16. Gun Junkie

Gun Junkie Void-Bound Voyager

Hi guys, it's been a while since I've been here but I just got around to updating my game and giving it a spin, and this seemed a good place to air my concerns.

First off... survivalism - the thing that was keeping this game enjoyable to play. Without hunger and temperature concerns I was bored within 30 minutes, despite new content. The first time I played the game finding or building shelter felt extremely relevant on most of the planets I visited for any length of time. Now on the very first planet when I have no supplies I find no need whatsoever for shelter. Even worse, there is no actual need to hunt... I had enough bandages from plant fiber in the first few minutes that health was no longer much of a concern. My guess is that was the plan... to make food desirable for healing. Well, let's just say with the 50 alien steaks I piled up within the hour there would be no need to ever, ever farm or purchase food from a vendor. It probably flew over the devs' heads but, frankly, without the need to eat and find shelter, there is no need to do anything else in this game either. Why would I even want to explore? There is no longer a fundamental motivation to look for new sources of food or new materials. Are you getting all of this devs? I'm bored to tears. I could try to keep going and search hopelessly for a gun (since you had to destroy my saves again and lost me my massive base filled with them that took weeks/months to put together...) but... there's really no incentive to waste that much time finding under-powered guns anymore.

So, on to the second big mistake I've encountered... The new quest to repair the ship's thrusters... Do you really think the solution to players not wanting to mine in this game is forcing them to mine straight to a planet's core in the first hour of gameplay? Ouch... who is making these decisions??? Please give me their job and I will do you so much more justice for the money... This was a tedious chore, though to your credit Chucklefish this is the first real danger I think I encountered... Mostly from the potential to fall down huge pits or into lava, but there were a few mobs waiting in the darkness as well. Great... very... exhilarating. Did it occur to you that the players would have to climb back up??? I actually did this successfully without dying and felt slightly accomplished, but I imagine most players will probably die somewhere on this quest and have to climb back down to the planet's core, as if it wasn't a long enough journey already...

Third big mistake (that I've seen after an hour or two playing, I hardly want to find out what else is wrong) would be the survivor's outpost, I think it was called. This would have been a welcome addition except, well, besides the fact that I no longer need to buy food or weapons (found plenty of decent ones pretty fast) the area seemed to be littered with advanced crafting tables and the like. I can't say I had the materials to experiment with them just yet, but... can the player use these to circumvent the need to make their own?? Seems like I'm halfway through with the game already if that's the case. I can't fathom why those items were included there, except to make things even easier for the whiner crowd who doesn't want to play the game in the first place.

Lastly, this is a small complaint, but I feel it's the little things that make this game. I saw the
    furnace now has its own crafting menu... Weak. I personally always found it enjoyable smelting my ore rather than crafting it from a menu. It made the game feel more immersive and real, and it was a good time to have a snack which my character actually needed back then... My suggestion would be restoring the smelting process so that the furnace again functions like a stove does when cooking.

In conclusion, please stop caving in to the people whining about things like
    hunger, temperature, and time spent smelting. These are exactly the elements that made me enjoy the game, that made it feel genuine and immersive. I realize there will be more changes as the devs try to define the quest lines and such, but please think about what you're doing before you change these sorts of things. My universe feels more bland than ever, and I'm not sure I want to waste any more time exploring it, knowing it's just going to disappear again... *sigh* You guys probably don't realize it, but you've set up major expectations by releasing early versions of the game, and you're not holding up to them... We don't want to lose features. We want you to ADD to them.[DOUBLEPOST=1432508217][/DOUBLEPOST]
    This is an excellent suggestion... If I was working for the company I'd be screaming this. Give the players options, considering you're doing so many things two ways as it is. Stop cutting features and make them optional. Also, as suggested here, do not link hunger or temperature bars to hardcore play. This forces people who may want a mild challenge to accept an excruciating one.

Hunger and temperature add a manageable challenge, whereas permadeath outright punishes players for a single mistake. I could see making both bars mandatory under hardcore play, but not making hardcore mandatory just to have hunger and temperature included in the game.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  17. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

I totally agree something else that sucks, there use to be more and harder monsters on the surface at night, that is no longer the case. Use to be night time was time to go mining and day time was time to exsplore/hunt/farm.

Now night is just dark... Ooooo

vanella likes this.
  18. Gun Junkie

Gun Junkie Void-Bound Voyager

I haven't played long enough to be sure, but I did notice I was unusually capable of simply running across the first planet's surface at night. No temperature concerns now apparently, and only the most minimal resistance from mobs.

I'm honestly lost... how is this supposed to be fun? I'm meant to enjoy fixing the ship that used to work from the start? That seems like all they've really added in place of the things they stripmined from the game... a tedious chore. The new gate system seems suspect as well. Does every star system have one?? I forgot to check that, but if so how terribly bland that would be... another clear copout to the whiner crowd. I rather enjoyed the prospect of getting stranded if I didn't manage my resources, but it seems like even that challenge will be removed.

vanella likes this.
  19. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

When I've spent night after night energy-dashing my way across dozens of planet surfaces spanning SEVERAL systems only to find the occasional Floran Village I take GREAT offense at the implication you just made here that people aren't finding the stuff they need simply because they are too lazy to try. lol

Ankali likes this.
  20. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

We'll the old game you could get stranded there was always something for fuel on a planet you would just be stranded till you find some

Yah it use to get cold at night to on the surface, underground there was a steady temp, so again more reason to retreat into you mines at night.

It was scary out at night, and it would be cool if they did something like on terraira and have bunch of the flesh monster and cultist show up and atack.... Give us a reason to build turrents!

Ankali and vanella like this.