Modding Discussion Give us an option to set name/or description of an item/object

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Zoomah, May 29, 2016.

1. Zoomah

Zoomah Big Damn Hero

The title says points it out...

The idea would be to be able to, ie. rename chests. But also to use it for items. I had the idea of it in the discussion thread of Macrochip from @Storm_UK .

There the idea would be to find the right pre-programmed macrochip in a container with many differently programmed ones.

To avoid griefing, i'd recommend an object/item configuration flag, that turns the renaming ability on for those objects/items.

Would be nice if it could be implememnted before release... or after... or at all :p

Thanks for reading.

2. v6ooo

v6ooo Space Kumquat

Right now the only way you can do it is during a world.spawnitem, unless I'm mistaken.
    I think it reset after broken though unless you'd mod that too.

Edit1: I looked if you could edit window titles during the game but I haven't been able to access the label containing the name so if we were to add an rename button, we'd have to add something to either cover the title label or show that new one in a different place.
    This method would also most likely require patching of all all container objects. Which I don't really like doing.

Edit2: You can also change item names by manipulating item descriptors in a container.
    Didn't find a smart way to keep the names on objects when breaking them.

I do like toying so here's an mod I made manipulating item descriptors, I just tested what I was capable of doing and I am still testing stuff.
    Spawn it with /spawnitem inscriber

Edit: File has been removed

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  3. Zoomah

Zoomah Big Damn Hero

That looks promising... do you know if you can create an item (without spawning it to the world) to edit it that way?

4. v6ooo

v6ooo Space Kumquat

I told you I was still working on it and I'm getting somewhere but it requires patching all container objects to be able to update the names.
    Which makes it kind of incompatible with other mods unless I can find a way to check if someone added a script already.
    (Don't reply just to tell me about "test" operation. I know about it. The problem is that I if "/scripts" exists it needs to do one thing but if it doesn't, do another.)

I have this set up
    http://i.imgur.com/jcmuZFb.gif

Now I have to go to work, see ya in 6+ hours!

Edit: Made some more progress. You can break it and keep the name. I should probably add so you can break it down and keep all items inside instead of them spewing out.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  5. Zoomah

Zoomah Big Damn Hero

Maybe the container thingy was too far.. since you don't have a tooltip when you hover over a placed container anyways...

6. v6ooo

v6ooo Space Kumquat

That is true but it could still help with organizing if you're more than 1 person putting items in.
    There's probably some way to take this even further... Hmm...

I added so it saves what's inside the container (some mods already do this) and had a bit of fun

Box in a box in a box in a box in a box... Partly disabled now.
    http://i.imgur.com/bpIUpR5.gif

You can write with colors in Starbound, just messing around
    http://i.imgur.com/Auxi076.png

7. Zoomah

Zoomah Big Damn Hero

would be sooo cool if you had something like Item.create("id_of_item",{...parameters...})

THAT way we had a way to manipulate the descriptions without using a container slot hmmm... Chucklefish, do you read this? ;)

AFAIK i think you can only get an item reference by:
    a) picking up loosely thrown out items from the world OR
    b) iterating through a container

having item creation and spawning / container placement separated would bring a few new possibilities

8. v6ooo

v6ooo Space Kumquat

I will eventually release 2 mods but I need to do some clean up and I have some other stuff brewing right now.

First is inscriber. Lets you change names on the items (or objects) placed inside.
    inscriber.png

Second is what I'm calling Improved containers. (for now)
    Lets you change names on the container object (You see it next time you open it)
    Keeps items stored inside when broken and tells you how many different types of items are stored inside. (stackable items count as one)
    improvedcontainer.png

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  9. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

If it is just for personal use, you can use StarCheat and edit those parameters.