Tutorial Getting you started on your first custom species!

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Kayuko, May 16, 2015.

1. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

You also now need to patch the interface/windowconfig/charcreation.config file and add

[
    { "op" : "add", "path" : "/speciesOrdering/-", "value" : "YourSpeciesNameHere" }
    ]

Otherwise, it won't show on the character creation screen

2. projectmayhem

Followed all the steps, after making a character, it takes me to to char select screen and my other toon is invisible and the custom race i just made a toon for isnt listed.

3. projectmayhem

Ok, you also have to patch the quest.config

[
    {
    "op": "add",
    "path": "/initialquests/YourRaceHere",
    "value": [
    "protectorate"
    ]
    },
    {
    "op": "add",
    "path": "/pronounGenders/YourRaceHere",
    "value": {
    "male": "PronounHere",
    "female": "PronounHere"
    }
    }
    ]

Then you need to make a codex inside a codex folder. The codex folder needs to contain a folder named after your species. Example - codex/wookie for my star wars mod.
    Then, inside the folder you need a PNG and a .codex file.

both are the same as you would find in your unpacked assets.

my codex looks like this....

{
    "id" : "wookiediary",
    "title" : "Kashyyyk",
    "description" : "About our home.",
    "icon" : "wookiecover1.png",
    "contentPages" : [
    "Kashyyyk was a temperate jungle planet orbiting around a single star located in the Mytaranor sector of the Mid Rim, and had a complement of three moons.
    Covered in wroshyr trees, it served as homeworld to the Wookiee species. ",

"Native fauna such as Can-cells would influence the design of starships by the Wookiee inhabitants, while great cities such as Kachirho would be built into the planet's trees."

],
    "itemConfig" : {
    "rarity" : "common",
    "price" : 25
    }
    }

4. Ethereal Tundra

Ethereal Tundra Master Chief

This guide has been very helpful and I'm looking forward to getting my race functional soon :lickitung:

(was going to use a normal smiley but I saw that and realized it was far superior)

5. taldobill

taldobill Void-Bound Voyager

When i try to create a second race, the first one seems to replace the second one that i created is not appearing on character race selection what should i do?

6. projectmayhem

Did you copy/paste your first one and then go through and change names on things? You may have missed something.

taldobill likes this.
  7. taldobill

taldobill Void-Bound Voyager

i generated two differents from skittles and made two differents mod folders for each race, but just one are showing up :(

8. Lukar188

Lukar188 Intergalactic Tourist

oof >.> u-umm, what if i have a character template already filled out? but its just a drawn over a ref pic of the human race, its not finished but i wanna test what i have done so i know it looks good so far, how do i add it into starbound? i have a race extender

9. projectmayhem

well...for starters, this thread is getting close to 1 year old since last post... so someone will probably get on you for posting on dead threads....

now that that is out of the way... if your layout is in layers, you need to merge layers and save it as a png. After that, you need to follow a species creation guide to see what all is needed to make a species load into the game.

https://community.playstarbound.com/threads/custom-species.131590/