1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting to surface is way too difficult.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tritex, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Tritex

Tritex Void-Bound Voyager

Hello guys.

Unfortunately for me, getting to surface is extremely difficult. If it was not for a mod which allows me to play survival difficulty without losing items on death, I would have never progressed, since I never managed to get back to the surface alive, even with a grappling hook. I either get killed by fall damage, or by some random monster bothering me when I am trying to dig my way up.

I might be a bit clunky and not managing things right, which might be the reason why I can not do that on planets, but moons are next to impossible.

Once you get deep enough to mine for liquid fuel, there is no way back. That ghosty thing will keep following you, not giving you a chance to even dig up.

I really wish there was some sort of teleporter, like in terraria, which allows you to get to the surface quickly. Dying is more viable option in these cases.

I can not even imagine how would I progress through the game without that mod, or playing casual... which is way too easy.

Could someone give me some suggestions on what I should do? What is the best option to get to the surface?

Also is it possible to mine with the grappling hook equipped? It was possible to wield the manipulator in one hand in the beta, and the hook in the other. Was it changed?

2. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I didn't get too deep mining on the moon I went to, but it sounds like with erchius ghosts you need to make an escape route for long term mining, and not just drop in.

3. ZeeHero

ZeeHero Pangalactic Porcupine

They really should have given you a little more time before the ghosts start chasing you, collecting fuel is really painful, easier just to farm pixels and buy.

evilnancyreagan likes this.
  4. Zisi

Zisi Phantasmal Quasar

Bring lots of torches and light up everywhere you go for a start. None of the mobs I encountered were a problem, just make sure you light everything up and kill the few you encounter. Build dirt under you to get places safely without falling. Also there are teleporters, bring one with you and once you get deep, place it down and name it according to the ore type you get down there. It's pretty simple, just don't go rambo and youll be fine.

Oh one other thing, surface shops are a great place to find armor, always be on the lookout, I didn't craft a single piece of armor until solarium :p

5. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

These Ghosts can't be killed.

Hoenstly walking on the surface can make you collect a few. I'd walk in one way around the moon, collect all the fuel I could and teleport back to the ship. Coming back will hold the ghosts at bay until you start mining more

6. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

You can also buy fuel in Infinity Shop from Outpost no ? as alternat solution

7. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

and asterpid fields wield LOADS of copper you can sell or make to pixels and then buy fuel.

8. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

yes i've see the other topic too ^^ , but as a glitch i'll keep all these copper for build material :D

9. Squeegeeie

Squeegeeie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As far as the moon goes, until you upgrade your mm to the point that tunneling in the soft moon rocks happens quickly, just stay on the surface. Keep ahead of the ghost until you see some erchius crystals you can reach quickly with very little tunneling. Dig it out, and keep going. I tend to quit after ~300 - 400 crystals, which is enough to jump to 2 or 3 nearby systems before refueling. Don't worry about liquid right now.

10. SamuFinland

SamuFinland Phantasmal Quasar

You know, you can just beam back to your ship and beam back to the surface

11. stealthXG

stealthXG Pangalactic Porcupine

You can't beam up from underground in survival mode.

12. SamuFinland

SamuFinland Phantasmal Quasar

Didn't know that. Well that's stupid