1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting a Tier 1 guard tenant?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Noir Korrane, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Noir Korrane

Noir Korrane Pangalactic Porcupine

Hey all.

i am working on my colony and i would really like to add an Apex and a human guard in the Tier 1 armour. Its on a lush planet so safety isnt an issue.

I like the looks of the Apex and human Tier 1 armours and thought they could make cool dudes to have in my colony.

but for some reason, I cant get a non-tier 4 guard, no matter how i lay out the room, I've tried just a racial light and a weapon chest, and also filling it with iron items but i still get Tier 4 gaurds.

I just cant seem to roll one.

Does anyone know if its something i might be doing?

2. LordBaconator

LordBaconator Scruffy Nerf-Herder

They spawn as tier 1 guards with tier 1 guard stats but they wear tier 4 armor. I thoroughly tested their damage output and health but was completely unable to find out why they only generate wearing tier 4 armor. This applies to all tier 2 and tier 3 guards as well.

Theoretically they're configured right in the game files so I can understand why Chucklefish wouldn't have noticed this bug.

Edit: To clarify, all NPCs in the game have their stat values defined by the level of the planet you're on with the exception of crew members who are coded to scale based on the equipment the player is wearing. All armor that you see NPCs wearing is purely cosmetic.

3. Noir Korrane

Noir Korrane Pangalactic Porcupine

Yeah, and the cosmetic thing on the armour is what i'm wanting.

I just want a cool dude with a scouter in my colony.

Thanks LordBaconator.

4. RedPanda_Warrior

RedPanda_Warrior Star Wrangler

Ill bet you 500 pixels that there's a mod for that.

5. LordBaconator

There actually isn't a mod for it panda. As far as I know I'm the only person in the community to have even investigated that bug. People have reported it before but I doubt anyone has looked into it.

I only did because it was within the scope of my mod project.

6. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

This bug with only tier 4 tenants spawning has already been reported in the support section a few weeks ago. I can however ask mollygos about it if she has time for it if you want.

~ Iris ~

7. LordBaconator

It occurs to me there is one more thing I should try as a potential fix for it. If it works I'll just post the solution here for them to apply to the game files.

8. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

If you can offer a solution this would be pretty cool :D

~ Iris ~

9. LordBaconator

The last thing I wanted to try didn't fix it.

All I know about the bug is it happened here:
    Code:
    entityId = world.spawnNpc(position, tenant.species, tenant.type, level, tenant.seed, overrides)
    Inside the colonydeed.lua script. When the data is passed into the spawn function the NPC's level is set correctly for the world. The bug happens inside this call where the world function fails to correctly parse the armor overrides for friendlyguardtenent.npctype inherited from guard.npctype. For some reason it always defaults to using the level 4 armor overrides even when given level 1, 2, or 3 NPCs.

10. Corleone

Corleone Subatomic Cosmonaut

Sorry for the necro but I would like to know if anyone found a solution for this yet or could give instructions how to fix this?

11. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I gotta say I do wish there was a more... robust method of re-Vanity-Armoring NPCs. Not just your ship crew, but tenants too, especially guard-types.

At least for races that can wear Vanity Armor, of course. The Alpacas would probably be exempt, save maybe helmets.

I like the idea of kitting a Fenerox out in some different gear...