1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Get the game during beta?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Rotary, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bethor

Bethor Big Damn Hero

Add to that that steam likes to go € = $ It might be interesting for EU people to buy it via the site as preorder as they will pay in dollars so that will be around € 12. And the rumor is that when it is on steam it will be more expensive still. So at the very least someone from the EU would pay € 15 if he bought it via steam when it is on steam if there is no price increase!

Akur likes this.
  2. Gutoap

Gutoap Master Chief

Oh man.. Can't wait to play this game! [=

JackOfAllTrades likes this.
  3. Ethenyl

Ethenyl Astral Cartographer

I really love the way Steam is handling currencies...

1€ == 1$ ?! Where in the hell did they learn to convert ? And the worst part, they're doing this since the beginning !

As for the game I buy, I go through Key resellers (like Kinguin), far cheaper:coffee:

4. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

Steam allows for publisher say when converting prices. If they leave it at default it stays 1/1 but they can dictate to Steam different price suggestions if they so choose.

5. Ethenyl

Ethenyl Astral Cartographer

Well, if they effectively have the option, I never saw it at work...

6. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

That's because most publishers don't actively seek it. There have been a few indie games and certain AAA titles that come out with correct value totals for all currencies but it hasn't been fully embraced yet because it's something Steam only retroactively does. Most of the time it's here's the data, here's the price, now it's on Steam. Valve has stated that it works with the developers/publishers on prices if asked about it. I'm guessing most publishers don't take the time to ask about currency derivatives.

Edit: Honestly reading up on it publishing to Steam sounds like a riddled mess of protocols and bullshit. Unless you have some sort of connection or big name publisher it's almost impossible due to their standards. That's why Valve has tried to streamline the process with Greenlight and I've heard that's sometimes not the best process either. Can't really comment on the entire thing since I haven't been part of any sort of publishing on Steam, but I bet there's a lot more to worry about during the whole ordeal than concerning yourself about currency exchange ratios. Just an opinion.

7. coruun

coruun Void-Bound Voyager

You can always compare the regional prices on steamprices.com.

There you can see, which games are cheaper on your local currency. And when you compare, you can also see, that e.g. The Sims 3 is around 45€ in Europe while the US has to pay 30$ (around 25€). This shows, that "1€ == 1$" is in general not correct. It is only the default. I also heard the rumor, that it is simply because of VAT. And in Germany, we have 19% VAT...

8. Earl Asplund

Earl Asplund The Number of the Minibeast

I doubt it will close. Probably go up in value, if anything.otherwise, you'd have people only being able to play the pirated copy (c'mon, we all know there will be pirates :p) and that's money effectively lost. As long as they mimic the minecraft sales model, they're good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.