1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Gardenbot 2.1 -- REBOOTED -- 2.1.1.6

Robotic Farming ... IN SPACE! - Supports modded plants! - Cheerful 1.3.4

1. Arti78

Arti78 Space Kumquat

Yep, I think it applies more to aesthetics than efficiency. Although if you are crafting them, the others use less resources. I always just buy them at the Outpost myself. Saves time and resources, and gives me something to spend all my pixels on.

2. s-T4RgaZ3R

s-T4RgaZ3R Void-Bound Voyager

raise ur hand if u want more of these bots :nuruhype:

3. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

If i can suggest you a little addon :

Its for replace in the miner bot file the block he place (hazard) by dirt block (dirtmaterial) , like that it'll help alot for make an underground farm (i've try myself but i'm noob about modding ^^)

Anyways nice job , awesome mod

4. kreekgod

kreekgod Phantasmal Quasar

is there any chance you can make 87g harvest silk from a moth trap? or would it be a different bot that does that?

5. Arti78

Arti78 Space Kumquat

82 can harvest those, I think all of the normal gardenbots can.

6. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

I think we need details about little bot , i've try trow them grass seed , they use a hoe (i mean the dirt change) but they never use grass seed (at the moment i use deco tool mod for grass).

7. Nightmaster

Nightmaster Pangalactic Porcupine

I dont know if what Iam gona say is possible or not, but cant you, the creator of the mod, make the game identify the mining bot as a players in the same sense that the game processo MP players actions?

I mean, if the bots where to be considered as players by the game engine, as in a MP game, then in theory its possible to allow the bots to work even if the player is not around because the system would keep track of the alterations created by the bots, like planting and harvesting crops, getting lumber and digging holes and getting ores. All that without the presence of the player in the planet.

8. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

Since the world unload when you are not here its not possible , its like meteor rain , if you are in the underground , they can't spawn in surface.

9. CrymsonSerenity

CrymsonSerenity Big Damn Hero

How do I make the mining bots harvest speed faster?

10. Nightmaster

But then how does the game engine keep track of different players in different planets in a MP server?

Its a trick yes but if possible one could, again in theory, trick the system into believe that the bots are a "player entity" and thus refresh the world around then even if the "main player entity" is not around....

I dont know but I think it would be possible to do that... :/

11. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

Server keep tracking each player individualy when they are online , its like mob spawning, if you are here , mod will spawn around you , but if you log off , they will desepear , plant will stop growing , meteor will stop fall ect , except if someone else is near.

12. Nightmaster

And its not possible to add a "mask" to the bots that will make the game engine to consider them the same as the player and thus allow the system to keep the mechanics running around then?

13. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

Maybe but my knowledge about modding are poor (and non-existent for coding) , but it's maybe possible to say to the server "there is someone here" , but it need to mimic a player (by coding maybe ?).

Also keep in mind something , imagine aserveurs with 20 players , the serv will carry about all of them so be busy to spawn mob , grow plants , activate weather and others around each of these 20 people , so now imagine each of them spawn 5 bots as you speak (5 is very low for a mod like that , but it's enought for my example) , so the server will now be forced to manager the spawning system , growing , and others for 100 units instead of 20 (cuz 20 players x 5 bot each) , and IMO you'll need a good server host , now imagine with 10 bot per players => 200 ; or even 20 bots = 400 units.

Imo the thing you ask should be feasible , but for a single player game (or with a very strong host) and not without work.

But a true modder may answer you better than me i think.

14. Nightmaster

True that in a MP server that can become a heavy processing task and thus would require a very strong host, but in a single player game that would not be really a issue.

I think the main point the creator of the mod wish to add is an ability to free the player from the chores of keeping a farm, gathering wood and mining ores and for that to be really effective, a way to allow the bots to keep working without the presence of the player nearby is necessary.

Otherwise what would be the point of the mod if the player still have to lose time by staying around in a planet so that his bots can work for him??

15. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

You can work with them , me i send 8-10 miner from the same point and i place dirt where they will place hazard block , like that i do already more than 50% of a gigantic farm , from surface to lava core.

Also you can make an auto farm then build a town next it , if you are not too far they still work.

However if a special unmoving bot was make for simulate a player online , its maybe possible , in this case you will be able to change planets and things like that , but IMO it will run a second hiden copy of the game for that , so the main game need to be started for run the second (and it will eat more ressource from your computer) , ofc i'm not sure what i'm talking about , i'm mostly deduction from my poor knowledge x)

16. Nightmaster

It dont need to be a bot for that function. It can be simple a computer terminal... a Bot Control Panel that you place in a given spot and that allows the bots to work even without you around.

17. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

So i speak about the same thing , but i think it will anyway be forced to simulate a player with a another starbound.exe , so you may need that (unless someone else find another trick.

18. kreekgod

kreekgod Phantasmal Quasar

the concept you guys are talking about here... is what minecraft modders refer to as a "chunk loader"
    its an object that you place in the world, to keep that part of the world loaded when players are not around
    so automated, or timed things can continue to function

now i know the games are very different ofcourse, but who knows, perhaps looking into one, could give insight into the other

19. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

I never use that in Minecraft but yes its that.

20. LoPhatKao

LoPhatKao Space Kumquat

LoPhatKao updated Gardenbot 2.1 -- REBOOTED -- with a new update entry:

Custom Ore mining support + planting fix

Read the rest of this update entry...