1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Game slow down with no fps loss

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Okamisolaris, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Okamisolaris

Okamisolaris Big Damn Hero

Technical details first:

-Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    -Intel Core i7-2620M @2.70GHz Dual Core
    -8 Gigs of RAM
    -Nvidia NVS 4200M (1 Gig)
    -Game run in both 32 and 64bit
    -Windowed
    -Steam Multiplayer checked and unchecked
    -Modded
    -Log will be attached
    -Occurs in both single and multiplayer, through steam and hosted on a rented dedicated server
    -Occurs with 1, 2 or 3 players
    -Possibly related to combat or enemies being on screen

As of about 2 or 3 hotfixes back me and several friends have encountered what I hesitate to refer to as lag. When we first start all seems to be fine for the first few minutes of playing but shortly after enemies, npcs, blocks breaking and items falling all seem to enter slow motion. FPS for all of us remains consistent with no loss and the enemies still move smoothly for the most part but much slower.

One of the others noted that it seems to happen either during combat or when multiple enemies are on screen and it persists permanently afterwords. Prior to the few hotfixes that went out recently we didnt have any problems, I dont know for certain if this is related or merely coincidental. All I can see in client side logs is spam of a missing weapon particle and that it will default to another as a result. Unless that alone is capable of causing this, I dont know what else could be the culprit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

You have a lot of mod errors. You should resolve those first. We need to eliminate those a potential causes.

3. Okamisolaris

Okamisolaris Big Damn Hero

I had a feeling it would come to that so I already put thought into which mods to try removing. For the plasma muzzle fire error it was the Halo mod. The other error I saw in the log that mentioned issues with missing entities I assume was a critters mod I also had installed. Since removing them things seem more stable, ill need to throw some more time at it to be sure though. I dont see any new errors in the log aside from the obvious missing items that my crew had as uniforms. After redressing them, those stopped too.

There is an unfourtunate downside. Most of my previously visited planets kick me back to ship when I beam down. Ill just start a new universe though, all my stuff is on my ship anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion, it pushed me to actually remove the suspected mods. I had hoped there was some other cause for it to avoid removing them. The odd thing being that the problems didnt really occur till after some of the hotfixes. Dont know if it was related, a delayed issue or what.

4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

You can just copy your storage folder t keep a backup while you test things out.

It is possible it isn't mod related at all, but kinda need to follow basic troubleshooting methods. Since you have mods, and there are errors from some of them, we need to eliminate those as suspects just to be on the safe side. If a clean game and a clean universe have the same issue, then you know it wasn't mod related. If a clean universe resolves the problem, then you know it was mod related.