1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Game performance (Lags)

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Cat_Fuzz, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Please provide your specs.

~ Iris ~

2. metamorphexx

metamorphexx Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My Specs:

Processor:
    Dual Core - Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G620 @ 2.60GHz 2.60GHz
    MoBo: Asus P8H61-M LX
    RAM: 12GB DDR3
    Graphics: NVidia GTX 960 4GB
    Storage: 1TB

Edit: I can run Warframe, Borderlands 2, Skyrim (With ENB mods), etc. on full solid 60 fps with Ultra Settings, and those are 3D games.

Not sure why it's lagging on a 2D game which I expect not to be resource intensive.

(Just in-case you didn't notice my signature below)

3. Iris Blanche

Seems my phone messed up again xD

How high is your cpu usage when running Starbound?

~ Iris ~

4. metamorphexx

metamorphexx Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It was about 70~89 percent, but it really doesn't matter, because I was playing the game this morning, everything is fine, smooth and really enjoyable. But by the time I played this afternoon, the game itself started to spike lags during combat, picking items, you name it.

Even if I install my newly bought intel skylake i7 processor (which I can't due to MoBo incompatibility), I would give me pretty much the same results. I've read the whole thread with those people having higher processor installed than I do, but pretty much we're having same issues. So it's pretty much the game itself.

Also, I've searched everything on google and this forum before I come asking (which I always do), disable vsync, zoom, resolution, etc. to no avail.

:(

5. plaincoyote

plaincoyote Void-Bound Voyager

I've been having the same issues as everyone here, and I fixed my framerate just by restarting Steam. Not sure how or why it worked, but maybe it'll work for you guys too.

6. Trinthakis

Trinthakis Yeah, You!

I am getting an unstable frame rate in Starbound. Running via steam or directly by using the exe doesn't change the frame rate problems.

It seems that Starbound is maxing out one of my CPU cores.

Any ideas of how to get it running smoothly?
    Spec.png CPUusage.png

7. Xavier Darkheart

Xavier Darkheart Pangalactic Porcupine

It has come to my attention that the last major update has caused major lag issues for a lot of players, and the reason for this is still unknown to us. This wasn't the only large patch to do this either. Reinstallation only seems to help a small number of those effected as well. So as to not push away long time players, and new potential customers, y'all should really look into this, and let us players know how to fix it once you've figured it out. One major point to make before the trolls try to get involved is that most of the people I have spoken to, just as myself, all have high end PCs, and have heavily modded the game prior to the last overhaul, with no issues, but now upon trying to even do the tutorial, or trying to skip it, we come into game with so few frames that we have to force crash the game to exit it. This is a massive problem, especially given how random it seems to occur, and given the fact that it shouldn't be an issue with the PC it's on, it's obviously some random problem the game has when updating. I hope to hear back eventually on this, with a solution, since I never did prior..

8. Slavyanin

Slavyanin Orbital Explorer

Joining thread

CPU: AMD FX8350 8 core 4Ghz
    GPU: AMD Radeom R9 290 Reference
    MB: ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0
    RAM: GSkill Ripjaws 1866Mhz 16gb
    SSD: Plextor M5 Pro 128GB

Windows is pure new, was instaled 10 minuts ago
    1920x1080
    zoom x2
    fullscreen yes
    borderless no

34FPS in Outpost location, lower on different dungeons and NPC's cities

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  9. NeoArcadianX

NeoArcadianX Intergalactic Tourist

Can someone please explain why my awesome PC plays Starbound at 30 fps?

Specs:
    Video Card - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    Ram - 16GB DDR4 2133mhz
    CPU - Intel Core i5 6600k 3.5 Quad Core
    Hard Drive - 1 TB
    CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Case - NZXT S430 Mid Tower Case

10. Iris Blanche

Is it capped at 30 fps?

~ Iris ~

11. NeoArcadianX

NeoArcadianX Intergalactic Tourist

I was exaggerating, it's not capped but it feels as though it is always at 30 fps or around there. :(

12. Iris Blanche

Merged with the bigger topic.

Regards
    Iris Blanche

13. LemonLeman

LemonLeman Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've been having the exact same problem ever since the 1.0 update came out. My game ran almost perfectly before, but now I'm lucky if I even get two frames a second. And I've tried so many solutions, but none of them worked. The only one I haven't tried is the 64-bit version, because I can't run that due to a dll error and the fact that Steam keeps trying to run a version somehow related to Linux. I miss this game. ;-;

I've been experiencing this problem since 1.0 was released, and I've yet to find a solution. Here are my specs:
    Capture1.PNG
    (Some of this may have changed since I've cleared a lot of junk data from my laptop)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2016
  14. Iris Blanche

@Xavier Darkheart
    merged the topic with the big one. Please provide your specs.

@LemonLeman
    mergend your post with the one from the other merged topic to avoid a doublepost.

Regards
    Iris Blanche

15. Trinthakis

Trinthakis Yeah, You!

So 1 week and no replies or help from the "support" forum. Might be time for a refund, oh well.

16. Xavier Darkheart

Xavier Darkheart Pangalactic Porcupine

I already know it's not my pc, providing specs seems utterly pointless tbh. I used to run this game extremely modded, and given the fact that I can run games like Swtor, and Skyrim, or extremely high settings, I can't buy that it's my pc. I've seen dozens of complaints that low end pcs seem to run the game fine, and high end pcs can't even get a stable 10 fps. I'm not home to upload my specs, but I can't imagine how it would help in any way.

17. LemonLeman

LemonLeman Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think this might be what's wrong. I'm trying to install Win7 SP1 on my Win7 Enterprise laptop, so I hope this works. The 32-bit version might not be an option, especially since I use a 64-bit system. I'm no tech wizard, but those numbers don't seem to match... so maybe installing SP1 to then install the vcredist exes might help.

18. solaris104

solaris104 Space Spelunker

I open this topic to report a very strange thing, starbound i usually runs about 17-30 FPS but today I went on a planet Frozen Ocean and the game went to 45 fps with an ongoing buffs, how is it possible?

I have a I3 A 2.10 ghz
    4 gb of ram
    Intel HD 3000
    Windows 7 Home Premium

I await answers, at least as you can do to get the same fps in other planets ?

19. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Easy. The ocean planets don't have as much to render on the surface like other planets. Fewer blocks, fewer objects, etc. So they are less demanding. Though if you hop in the water and go to the bottom, it will probably return to performing as you expect.

20. solaris104

solaris104 Space Spelunker

with the update 1.2, the game seems more fluid if I remember correctly nonostente has these 2 active mod
    FPS Booster
    Extra Zoom Level

the fps now go on 20 or more, but still do not understand why
    in a planet Frozen Ocean has 45 fps with buffs there is the snow and 20-30 when there is no weather event, if it was because these planets no year a lot of stuff I should be rendered at 45 fps even without the snow buffs I did not try to go below ground Lazurus so I see how many FPS Steam me