1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Game crashing to black w/sound on save, Summer 28

Discussion in 'Support' started by Adam Smasher, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Adam Smasher

Adam Smasher Space Hobo

When I attempt to sleep on the last day of summer, year 1, the screen goes black. The fireplace sounds continue, but nothing else happens, and the game remains stuck. This error occurs no matter what else I do during the day, including going straight back to bed. The only unusual status is that the watering can is currently in the shop for the copper upgrade. I backed up to the previous save for day 27, and confirmed that sleeping twice also reproduces the issue.

This does not seem to be generating an error log, as there are none present in my directory. I've attached the save data.

Attached Files:

• MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

Hrm, so I tried your save on my Linux system, and I didn't have any issue.

So, I ran the Windows version of Stardew Valley in Wine; and it works there as well. But, I did notice that transitioning on the last day took a good 7 seconds or so longer compared to the usual night to day transitions.
      You have other stuff like a few crops turning into debris as the season changes; in addition to stuff like you mentioned regarding the can upgrade. But, nothing in the save seemed like it had bad data.

How long are you letting it idle on the black screen?
      Also, I was thinking you could try selling something. Let it to go the sell screen first, and see if that affects whether or not you get stuck on the black screen.

• Adam Smasher

Adam Smasher Space Hobo

Wow, thanks for the fast response!

Last question first: I've let it sit at the black screen for a solid fifteen minutes. I'm pretty sure it's well and truly stuck, although I could try letting it sit overnight. The computer is fairly beefy, so I don't think it's a system resource issue.

The first time I played the day, I did a bunch of things: I collected the watering can, completed some bundles, shopped at the caravan, did a fetch quest, collected a pending reward, watched the jelly dance, and then shipped some items. After the black screen the first time, I tried replaying the day the same way with the same result.

I then tried a few more plays, doing fewer and fewer things each time to see if I could avoid the cause of the crash. But I can reproduce it if I just get up and go right back to bed.

• MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

Hrm, okay. Yea, 15mins is plenty to test whether it's stuck or not. So, it seems you're right about that not being a resource case on your end.

If the day to day activities don't seem to be the cause either; then maybe it's something with the seasonal transition.

You could try verifying your files, and double check there aren't any corrupted ones related to the seasonal changes.
          Instructions:
          Right click Stardew Valley in your Steam Library.
          Then select 'Properties' from the popup.
          After that a new 'Properties' window should show up.
          Go to the 3rd tab, 'Local Files', and select; "Verify Integrity of Game Files".

Then see how it plays.

Other then that, I'm not too sure. Especially, if it's not creating any error logs; that's a bit odd.