1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Game crashes upon character selection

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by MajesticBBQ, Mar 24, 2017.

1. MajesticBBQ

MajesticBBQ Big Damn Hero

My friend recently got a copy of starbound and has been crashing after he selects his character and his main one is gone. he did have some mods i gave him before hand and he since then has deleted them, I need help to figure out why this is happening.

I have attached his log.

p.s. he is kind-of afraid of forums like this so that is why I am writing this.

Attached Files:

2. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

It looks like the errors are related to some sort of "Lamia Avian" mod? That's probably the one he deleted. If he wants to uninstall that mod, he should probably re-install it first so that he can load the game, and then delete everything in-game before uninstalling the mod (deleting any objects or items it adds, deleting characters affected by the mod, deleting planets he's visited since installing the mod if it affects universe generation).

3. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

By deleting the mods the player files can't be loaded due to missing objects. Also it seems that some files are damaged. Did he try to edit them? It can also be that the drive he installed starbound on is faulty or damaged.

~ Iris ~

4. MajesticBBQ

well we did try installing and uninstalling the mods, deleting all the characters (and making new ones), and deleting the universe, we checked through the assets and nothing showed anything about these mods showing up. I think somehow the mods left an imprint on the game, the last thing we have yet to try is reinstalling the game so I'm trying that now.

5. missHPfan2

missHPfan2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Mods can't leave any kind of "imprint". Creating new characters should be done without the mod or mods installed. And the game should simply ignore a broken character, not try to load it and crash... Sounds almost like a file got damaged. Deleting the whole storage folder should fix it.

6. MajesticBBQ

did delete the storage folder and found the metadata and the universe.dat files were zombies, coming back, and I just sanctioned off the folders, so it was a corruption and later i found out some of the files were also missing in the assets.

edit: i just reinstalled it for him, and left the corrupted folder there.

7. Starhelp

Starhelp Intergalactic Tourist

The easiest way to resolve this is to reinstall tell me if it worked