1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Game crashes on start after updating to 1.2

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by vnen, Dec 18, 2016.

1. vnen

vnen Intergalactic Tourist

The 64-bit version of Starbound won't open anymore and just crashes upon start. I'm using the Steam version on Windows without any mods. The 32-bit client works fine though.

Code:
    [08:41:28.085] [Info] Root: Preparing Root...
    [08:41:28.086] [Info] Root: Done preparing Root.
    [08:41:28.086] [Info] Client Version 1.2.0 (windows x86_64) Source ID: c67120ea110b15bff5591775b5c8e7ccb7e0e56e Protocol: 729
    [08:41:28.086] [Info] Root: Scanning for asset sources in directory '..\assets\'
    [08:41:28.396] [Info] Root: Scanning for asset sources in directory '..\mods\'
    [08:41:28.396] [Warn] Root: Unrecognized file in asset directory 'mods_go_here', skipping
    [08:41:28.396] [Info] Root: Detected asset source named 'base' at '..\assets\packed.pak'
    [08:41:28.396] [Info] Root: Detected unnamed asset source at '..\assets\user'
    [08:41:28.396] [Info] Loading assets from: '..\assets\packed.pak'
    [08:41:28.773] [Info] Loading assets from: '..\assets\user'
    [08:41:29.696] [Info] Assets digest is 609fdfc03bc2247fcada4658da73b3ad67c12e4ef79e1c380ed81afb86624155
    [08:41:29.696] [Info] Root: Loaded Assets in 1.60987 seconds
    [08:41:29.703] [Info] Application: Initializing SDL Video
    [08:41:29.709] [Info] Application: Initializing SDL Joystick
    [08:41:29.771] [Info] Application: Initializing SDL Sound
    [08:41:29.771] [Error] Fatal Error: Stack overflow encountered

2. Ardaen

Ardaen Space Spelunker

I'm pretty sure I have the exact same problem. No error message pops up, but it makes the sound like one should. The process is terminated without ever opening a visible window of any kind.
    The 32 bit version runs fine.
    My computer is Windows 10 64-bit on a Surface Pro 3.

I've uploaded my starbound.log which is nearly identical to the original post. I've also uploaded the error from the Windows event log. It claims starbound is version 0.9. I verified that it is 1.2.1, Chucklefish just hasn't updated the version on the PE file's metadata.

I've done full reinstalls of the game. I've made sure I have the latest Visual C++ 2015 runtime installed for both 32 and 64 bit. There appears to be no stack trace or dump available for tracking things down, just the unhelpful stack overflow error.

Attached Files:

3. vnen

Yes, this is what happens to me too.

4. vnen

1.2.2 was released but this problem still persists. I'm quite sad to get no official response :nurusad:

5. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

What are you expecting to hear? If they can't reproduce the problem, then they are unlikely to be able to fix it. Further, it depends on how their priority list stacks up and where, if at all, this issue fits in there.

Out of curiosity, could you post a dxdiag?

6. vnen

The problem is not that it wasn't fixed. The problem is that it seems as nobody even read my post. If somebody said "I can't reproduce this" and asked for further details, I would be okay. Without a response, I feel like I'm being ignored. (BTW, I'm a developer too, so I know the struggles of fixing bugs, but I try to always give some response to the reports).

Anyway, I attached the dxdiag file.

Attached Files:

7. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

99% of the time developers don't post on anything. This isn't uncommon with games, I mean, just look at Bethesda, if you see them post, it is like the second coming of jesus, but they do read. And your issue doesn't appear to be a big issue since there are so few reports like it. Like I said, it may not be big enough to really merit spending time on just yet.

8. Tekla

Tekla Void-Bound Voyager

I also have this same exact problem. And also can't seem to fix it either, I tried everything.

When I try to open the 32 bit version, it loads up, and then blacks out, I reload it and then it's back to normal again. Then it repeats doing so? I've reinstalled SB too many times now.
    And I really would like some help with this.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2017
  9. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

You may want to provide some more information about your machine then.

Edit:
    Also try to avoid unnecessary doubleposting :)

~ Iris ~