1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Game crashed after a few minutes of play and shuts down my computer

Discussion in 'Support' started by PewPew_007, Feb 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. PewPew_007

PewPew_007 Yeah, You!

This happens after I change the resolution size of my window :'( I wonder if there's someone out there knows how to resolve this matter? 'cause I tried changing the resolution back it still crashed.

• Rexje

Rexje Star Wrangler

When you say the computer shuts down, do you mean it's as if you pulled the plug on it (instant blackout) or do you see your OS preparing to shut down?

Does your computer shut down unexpectedly in other circumstances as well, or has it done so in the past? Do you have any trouble turning it on again?

Are you on a laptop, or do you have a separate case with your drives, processor, and so on?

Sudden shutdowns are bad news. Possible causes are:
      • Failing electronics, most notably the power supply, but possibly also your CPU, memory (RAM), or any graphics card you may have installed.
      • Mechanical failures, like your fans or blocked air flow, causing overheating.
      • Seriously defective drivers or malware (e.g. virus).
      This is very likely to be a defect that is beyond Stardew Valley (but may be triggered by it).

• PewPew_007

PewPew_007 Yeah, You!

Hi! Thanks for responding to :D

I see! My Laptop shut down as if the plug was pulled off. It doesn't happen if I don't play Stardew thou. As soon as I play stardew it shuts down in a min, while I was playing my screen hangs each sec.

So maybe it's because my laptop is too old? I guess. Haha. But thank you for taking your type to reply my thread~appreciated it!

• Rexje

Rexje Star Wrangler

Hehe, you're most welcome. :)

It might be, especially if you've been able to play Stardew just fine earlier.

Hardware issues have a number of ways of manifesting, and this is one of them. But it might also be a combination of hardware and their drivers. Getting to the root cause is usually trial and error.

Hmm... that's starting to sound like a defective chip or possibly overheating. :( (Or a sensor thinking it's overheating.)

We can try to rule out overheating by monitoring internal temperatures. Personally, I use CPUID HWMonitor (attached to post) for this, because it's free and doesn't require installing. Keep it running for a bit so you get an idea of overall temperature when your lappy isn't under heavy load. Then boot Stardew Valley, windowed, so you can keep an eye on the temperatures. How high do they get before you computer shuts down?

In case of a defective chip: since you're on a laptop, you probably have "on-board graphics," but you might also have a separate graphics processor. If you do, you could try switching to see whether this gives some relief. Right-click on "Stardew Valley.exe", and look for anything like "Run with graphics processor" and see whether picking another option there gives some relief.

Attached Files: