1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Game Broken with Visual Glitches

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Weswolf, May 9, 2017.

1. Weswolf

Weswolf Void-Bound Voyager

Hey guys, my Starbound is unplayable right now and I need your help,

I've always experienced some FPS drops due to the fact that I play on a pretty average Mac, and recently I downloaded two mods from Steam Workshop to help out with that: Optimizebound and Parallax Removal, which both are supposed to help lower the load and increase FPS. I downloaded Optimizebound, and didn't see an noticeable improvements, so I just unsubscribed (uninstalled) from it to keep my game more vanilla (even though these are both client-side mods I'm pretty sure). This was all fine and dandy, but then I tried to download Parallax Removal.

I downloaded the mod, and it actually helped a ton, my game was running smoothly, even on my max fullscreen resolution. I warped down to a random planet and walked around to test it out further, and of course noticed the difference in the background. I was curious just *how* different the background now looked compared to before, so I wanted to uninstall the mod and look back at vanilla, so I could compare how much less pretty, etc. it looked. I closed my game, unsubscribed from the mod, and reopened it, to see what the difference was, and I started noticing all sorts of game-breaking visual glitches. The game loads up fine, except that the title screen is plain black in the background, instead of the normal space imagery. Once it loads, however, I can move around, walk, jump, etc. but the graphics are all screwed to hell. This is vanilla Starbound now, mind you.

Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 1.14.37 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 12.56.47 PM.png

I have no idea what to do, or what to restore (it's not a problem with the shipworld or player, as it applies to any areas I visit, right?). I've unsubscribed from those two mods, and am now mod-free, and I reinstalled the game, but to no avail.

TL;DR- I installed and uninstalled the mod Parallax Removal, and now my game is unplayable with messed up graphics. Help!

Could anyone help me out?
    Thanks!

*EDIT*: Just looked at some other support posts and saw it might be helpful if I included my starbound.log, so here is that

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Issues like this can happen when you start messing with image compression.

Make doubly sure you uninstall EVERYTHING. Make sure no lingering files are left after uninstalling. And make doubly sure that the mods actually got removed after you unsubscribed. Then do a nice clean install.

3. Weswolf

I just did an uninstall from my Steam client. A lot of Starbound files are still in Finder (I'm on Mac) for me. Should I copy the storage folder, delete those files as well, and then reinstall? (to keep my progress)

4. Weswolf

I thought all was well, I did what I posted above, replacing the universe, player, and shipworld files, and it ran perfectly in single player.

I then went to GameUnity, a server I've been to before, and the glitches showed up again, and after that they show up in single player as well. Uh oh.

5. lazarus78

That server probably has something that is messing with your game. Do you have a log from after you were on the server just before the issue started? I wonder if it shows anything.

6. Weswolf

I just reinstalled once again, but I'll check in a minute with the singleplayer and the server.

7. Weswolf

Just reinstalled, deleted all the old files and then ported over my player file and my shipworld file. Started the game, went to singleplayer, worked fine. Left, joined the server ILoveBacon and then it resumed the visual glitches. On that server I loaded in on my ship, then beamed down to the planet below, where the glitches continued. Here is the log of that:

Attached Files:

8. lazarus78

Hmm... unfortunately it doesn't show anything.

I am at a loss here. Sorry.

9. Weswolf

Alright, well... if anyone else has any ideas that can help, it's unplayable atm.

Thanks Lazarus for your advice.

10. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

if your player and shipworld files are the same each time while you clean out everything else, your problem is the player and shipworld files, if that makes sense. try with a compleyely new player and universe. delete/move the player and universe folders, and to be safe the config file as well, and create a new player and universe, then test the above. if problems persist, can't help you further. If they are fixed, its either your player/shipworld or your universe, so try with each individually

11. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Iirc it is not adviced to remove the parallax mod on a already present game due to the removals. Either you reinstall the mod or start over with everything by deleting the contents of your storage folder.
    Most likely a modding issue here so best would be to contact the mod author of the parallax mod and ask for removal instructions.

~ Iris ~

12. Nabegante

Nabegante Void-Bound Voyager

I also have been having this issue, and I have never installed mods. Also playing on a Mac.

However, I have had very limited success with simply quitting and rejoining my single player games. Sometimes it doesn't work, sometimes it does. I have observed no consistency on this. I have even exited the client only to have the invisible entities thing persist on start up.

A new issue has arisen when I am on the menu, even the background planets and stars are invisible. Just a black screen with the "Starbound" banner and start/load/options/quit buttons visible. Restarting the client has worked sometimes as well.

Just adding my voice to the issue.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    FrazzRazz likes this.