Galaxy, Not Universe.

Discussion in 'Other' started by Quillon, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Quillon

Quillon Subatomic Cosmonaut

If it doesn't already, Starbound should take place in one galaxy, the Milky Way, not the entire universe. here are some reasons;

-there's no way that only seven spacefaring races exist in the entire universe.
    -the universe doesn't have the even consistency of stars, as shown on the map. its concentrated in galaxies.
    -the idea that the accessible space in starbound is 'all that exists' is kind of sad.
    -the map is 2-dimensional. the universe is 3-dimensional. the Milky Way, however, is more of a flat disk.
    -the universe is BIG. even a monster the size of an entire planet be insignificant in an entire universe.
    -the 'cultivator' would make sense as a godlike entity from another galaxy bringing life into the milky way. the 'ancients' would be the first civilization after the seeds of life were planted.
    -that leaves room for a spin-off game where you go on an adventure to Andromeda.

Valardy likes this.
  2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

1. Apparently you havent heard of Drakes Equation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

Main point to note, even if there were a billion or even 100 billion space-faring races in the universe, the likelihood of coming across one is very very VERY slim because that would require those races to exist at the same time. Just look at how long humans have been around. That is a veritable drop in the proverbial ocean that is the life of the universe as we know it, so the chance of meeting another race is just astronomically small. So 7 races is actually quite generous.

2. True, but Chucklefish wasn't going for realistic accuracy, as can bee seen by the fact that they have "Frozen stars", "Radioactive stars", and the like. And how do you know there are no vast spaces of nothingness? The game has 2,000,000,000x2,000,000,000 "units" of space that you can actively navigate too. I guarantee you have never seen 99.9% of it. So for all intents and purposes, the stars could be split into galaxies, we just don't have that level of perspective to know for sure. And I said that you can activly navigate the map... there are stars well beyond that, but the game has a limitation of only accepting 9 digits for X and Y coordinates. It can generate much much more.

Yeah, sure you could infer that the stars are not split into galaxies, but again, Chucklefish was never going for accuracy.

3. No clue what you mean here.

4. Well... it is a 2 dimensional game. What do you expect? And you even say the Milkey Way is more like a flat disc, so just assume it is a top-down view.

5. Yeah... and?

6. Yeah... and?

7. Yeah... and?

Final note: The word "Universe" denotes everything as a whole. All matter, all energy, etc. So they did not misuse the word. The Starbound "universe" encompass everything in the game. It could very well take place in one galaxy and still be called the universe.

STCW262 likes this.
  3. Quillon

Quillon Subatomic Cosmonaut

More Reasons;

-it seems unlikely that a civilization of starboards advancedness could take over an entire universe. anyone who could do that would probably be more powerful than the 'cultivator'.

-this.
    -starbound takes place, 500 or so years in the future, I believe. One does not simply conquer a universe in that kinda time.

-A galaxy of stars is just the right amount of adventure, a whole universe feels a little overwhelming.

-to clarify 3, the idea that starbound's playable area represents the entire universe, makes one feel trapped. is that all? is this the entire universe? sure, it's big, but it's not that long until you kind of get your fill.

4. lazarus78

1, 2, and 3. Products of game design. If they made any sort of settlement rare, then it would be kinda frustrating when you needed them or wanted them for their objects.

4. Well, it is a game, so...

5. Galaxy or universe, you will never see more than 1% of them anyway. Even if you were to visit one star (Not just planets, but stars) per second, you would only see between 2.5% and 0.6% in your lifetime. (Assuming an 80 year life, not counting leap days) This is just in reference to the Milky Way, by the way. So by comparison, be it a single galaxy or the whole universe, as far as you, or anyone is concerned, They are basically equally vast.

6. First you said it was overwhelming, now you say you feel trapped? Well let me put your mind at ease here. Remember what I said above? Well Starbound's "playable area" contained about 12 Quintillion stars. Need a frame of reference to understand how many that is?

The Milky Way has between 100,000,000,000 and 400,000,000,000 stars. Starbound has, in its "playable area", about 12,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars. That is between 30 and 120 MILLION times more stars. If you are getting your fill of the game, the reason is not enough stars, nor to few.

"Is that all?" ..... HA! Right...

5. bugmenever

bugmenever Phantasmal Quasar

guys guys guys, lets be normal. First of all, Quillon is a cool dude. But you, Mr. "Yeah... and?" - try to think more! And what is that: you havent seen 99.99% of the space. If Quillon says that question about Galxies and Universe, SO HE MAYBE SAYS TRUTH, huh?

6. lazarus78

Cute. Telling me to think more. Everything I have said is truth. The lack of thinking is not on my end.