Modding Discussion Furniture for a Café?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by rare_candy_bracelet, Jul 24, 2017.

1. rare_candy_bracelet

rare_candy_bracelet Existential Complex

CafePreview.png Let's say, hypothetically, somebody was working on some new themed furniture sets and tenants. What kind of objects do you think... this person should include in a set like this? What could they improve on here? And what should the hypothetical barista tenant be wearing?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  2. Errors4l

Errors4l Spaceman Spiff

Hypothetically speaking, let's say someone who thinks this stuff looks great would like to see more of it as progress is made, what would they have to do?

Lonewolf239, IHart and The | Suit like this.
  3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Obviously a giant peanut sign - to inform other races of Peanut allergy goods are sold here.

Also hypothetically speaking fantastic work.

Jonesy, Lonewolf239 and IHart like this.
  4. rare_candy_bracelet

well, I'd have to guess that this hypothetical person would have to watch this thread for updates, wouldn't they? while the artist melts into a gross puddle of tears of joy thank youuuuu

Don't tempt me, friend, I'll really do it.

and non-hypothetically speaking, thank you so much asdfghjkl

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2017
    Lonewolf239 likes this.
  5. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Need advertise your
    And then I started imaging this but with an Apex woman.
    [​IMG]

But then I started imaging a Hylotl instead, and I can't go back.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  6. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

Hypothetically a cupboard and bar or desk that match that theme would make for some beautiful hypothetical coffee shops. Hypothetically bk3k's idea of an apex in place of the human on the Starbucks logo would be genius, hypothetically a "Minibucks" with Big Ape in place of the woman on the sign would be hypothetically hilarious.

7. rare_candy_bracelet

update! we've got steaming coffee now!
    coffeetest.gif
    not sure why i didn't do it initially...
    as well, I might've gone a liiiiiitle overboard on providing drinks as well. in my defense though, they were super easy and fun to do. A lot of mods in the past have tried to add placeable drinks in the past, but they never looked right to me!
    drinks.png
    not exactly sure I like the look of that pozest bottle though...
    and lastly, some community suggestions from both here and the reddit page:
    other.png

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  8. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I like what you somebody did with the glass case containing the cakes and pastries. Hypothetically, if it were up to me, I'd also do a smaller version that fits on top of a counter, allowing room for a cash register beside it. Inside the case there'd be a cake on one side and a tray of smaller pastries on the other, in the same fashion as the larger case. That way, some of the existing art can be recycled.

I hope this ends up on the Steam workshop someday soon, as I've been thinking about adding a cafe to my main settlement. These are pretty impressive sprites, and having access to them would allow me to make my little cafe quite well.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  9. rare_candy_bracelet

update: more food!!
    treaaaats.png I had a lot of fun doing these, but it's tricky adding recognizable details in smaller sprites!! I'm particularly proud of those cupcakes and muffins, hehe

and by popular demand...
    OH MY GOD KILL IT.png
    @Sparklink & @bk3k i think they turned out decently enough? christ, they're terrifying...

I was thinking something like that too! kinda reminiscent of my last mod. and thank you so much! I adore building and decorating in any game I can get my hands on, but I always find myself chafing at the options provided. But with Starbound being so easily moddable and the graphics being so fun to work with, I found I couldn't be idle much longer! And you can expect this mod to be released in the near future!

fernworrier, Sparklink, IHart and 2 others like this.
  10. fernworrier

fernworrier Giant Laser Beams

all of my yes to seeing this be a mod. i still need to find a area to make a small town to set up and a store or two would be nice to add to it.

rare_candy_bracelet likes this.
  11. Exilyth

Exilyth Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Someone did some great work so far.
    Someone might want to consider tea and sugar cubes. Maybe even some kitchen/bakery utensils.

Hypothetically speaking of course. :nuruwink:

12. rare_candy_bracelet

Update: ... It's raining!
    Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 4.59.07 PM.png Good thing this café was here, huh?
    Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 4.57.12 PM.png
    meet the barista! they'll be supplying you with both the objects introduced in this mod, a few cooked foods, and award wining smiles! not pictured here. obviously.

counter.png
    And
    a new object: A shop counter! In the style of a similar mod, even. How about that.

And assuming I can figure out how to work Tiled, I might even include a few generated structures like the one above! That'd be nice, right?

Jonesy, bk3k and Roskii Heiral like this.
  13. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

wow, excellent work =o

14. rare_candy_bracelet

update: presentation is half the battle!
    platingtable.png
    today's addition to the mod is the plating table! I didn't wanna weigh down the poor baristas with too many items, so a vast majority of the food and drinks in this mod will now be crafted at this table. You're guaranteed to be able to buy them from every barista npc. Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 8.25.27 PM.png
    the recipes for all the items here are just their vanilla consumable counterparts
    not to worry though! the table also allows you to change it back should you so desire:
    Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 8.26.05 PM.png
    and now... a question for all of you familiar with the tiled program.
    Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 8.19.44 PM.png i'm trying to create a generated structure, but I'm running into a problem. I can place both my own tilesets and starbounds' on tile layers all I want, but not on an object layer like I know where they belong. No matter what I do, they won't allow me to place it down! If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong here, your help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    fernworrier and Jonesy like this.
  15. luna_panshiel

luna_panshiel Pangalactic Porcupine

the hylotl sign reminds me so very much of

[​IMG]

also i think there should be a floran "buy ssssomething before i chew on your face" sign with an extra large toothy smile

Roskii Heiral likes this.
  16. rare_candy_bracelet

update: back in business!
    Hey-o! Sorry for my absence - life matters and finicky programs kept me busy! But I come bearing good news!
    Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 6.54.13 PM.png
    not pictured: several days worth of frustration, crying, and tweaking object orientations
    café bistros are now coming to a lush planet near you! Equipped, of course, with a barista happy to provide some quick reprieve from the elements and fill your belly with sweets. A special thanks to @luna_panshiel for linking me to the correct version of tiled and a recently updated walkthrough to fix where I'd been going wrong!

Right now, all that stands between this mod and an official release is some fine tweaking and racial discriptions! Look forward to it!

Roskii Heiral, fernworrier and bk3k like this.
  17. fernworrier

fernworrier Giant Laser Beams

*starts drooling*

18. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

This may sound strange, but will these generated structures be a mandatory part of the mod? Because my understanding is that if mods adding certain things (like tiles and techs) are unloaded, then it renders the save unusable. And seeing as Steam Workshop once unloaded all my Skyrim mods on its own volition once, I'd like to avoid that happening with Starbound and the various builds I've poured hours into. Mind you, I'm not sure if structures would cause that problem. I know mods that just add furniture wouldn't.

19. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Having access to techs wouldn't render your save unusable, but having those tech equipped would. Your character would fail to load until you reinstall the mod that adds the techs. At which point you can swap to another tech. Alternatively you can fix your character with Starcheat.

Custom tiles aren't a problem. Missing tile assets will turn to dirt. Objects in the world would disappear, but any collisions could remain(as metamaterials are vanilla). Mod objects in your inventory will become Perfectly Generic Items without that mod installed. So the risk is pretty small.

As for Steam unloading mods, you don't have to worry about that if the mods are installed into \starbound\mods\ at all. Steam can only stop Workshop mods from loading. Workshop mods will fail to load only if Steam is in "offline mode" and even that can be overcome if you edit your sbinit.config file to include the path to your workshop mods. Or you setup symbolic links etc - like replacing the directory the workshop mods would download into with a link to \starbound\mods\ for example.

There isn't much you (or Steam) can do which can't be fixed after. And even then, you can always make a copy of your \starbound\storage\ folder to somewhere safe. Then you know you can always get your progress back.

Jonesy likes this.
  20. rare_candy_bracelet

Thank you for your input! That actually puts me at ease too, truth be told. And @Jonesy, I'll be releasing this mod alongside another with just the objects.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    Jonesy likes this.