1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Funny Things About My First Experiences With Starbound:

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Skippertomtom, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Skippertomtom

Skippertomtom Phantasmal Quasar

Well, firstly, couldn't really get the ship AI thing up, had to click e on it a few times for some reason.

I never knew you could leave the first 2 starting planets you were on, I thought the FTL system was for traveling to farther out planets in the solar system.

I actually did better with the gem boss the first time than I have done recently...
    Stimpack + shield combo OP.

That's pretty much it... :nod:

2. DoshesToDoshes

DoshesToDoshes Void-Bound Voyager

I'd been playing Terraria a lot before starting Starbound. It was terrible. Starbound is much slower paced than Terraria, but also has a much larger scale. I was lost, slow, and I had trouble getting used to everything. The one thing I could really get into was building though, which Starbound, thankfully, is better for. Terraria's much more action than Starbound anyway.

I never got to help fund the game, but I did buy in to the first public beta.

3. FloomRide

FloomRide Cosmic Narwhal

I didn't know how to place background or single blocks.

Fought the penguin ufo with snow infantry armor the first time

Then just goofed around with friends until a substantial singleplayer update came out.

4. Oxidis

Oxidis Hey, You!

For my first time, it took a little while before I found that I could mine background blocks using the matter manipulator and right click. No alternative tool such as a hammer was needed. That feature, the background ores and the fact that you can put every block in the foreground and the background are things that I think Starbound does better than Terraria. I also liked how sound is muffled while swimming in water.

Yep, shields pretty OP. I never used any 2-h melee weapons because of that. Those weapon abilities could change things though.

Another "funny" thing that happened: I used the bug net to catch a bug that was next to an npc townsperson but it also aggroed the guards. I didn't realise it would do that since it does no damage. It was a big town that I was interested in expanding and I had to make a hasty retreat. Mid-air energy dash also OP. I guess it's reasonable if that's going to be nerfed.

I just saw a screenshot where the player had an item in their blue Left slot in the action bar.
    What! I have tier 6 equipment but never tried that before! I just assumed that we put an item into the off-hand slot and the other hand would hold whatever was selected on the main hand.

Another thing is that I didn't scan anything until today. The things I'd tried previously were unscanable so I assumed the feature was a WiP. The scanner seems to help with producing uncraftable decorations but I still can't get all the blocks.

@DoshesToDoshes I don't think it's slower paced. Due to the way Starbound is currently balanced, some parts happen too quickly. For example, I crafted tier 5 racial armour and then immediately upgraded to tier 6 without having to go anywhere in between. Travelling between important locations also doesn't take very long since everything is (too) centralised around the ship.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  5. Ripcord24

Ripcord24 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I
    I still actually have no idea how to place single blocks without putting down 4 of them, and I never knew how to place backgrounds.

6. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

You can place single blocks with SHIFT, as well as mine single blocks. Background placing/mining is a right-click.

This is one area where the tutorial kinda fails. Basic commands like that really shouldn't be hidden in your Library where you have to hunt for it. That's something S.A.I.L. should tell you as soon as the Manipulator is available.

7. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

Interesting to read about your first experiences. It's funny to think how different they'll be for players playing for the first time once we hit 1.0

8. BetaSpectre

BetaSpectre Phantasmal Quasar

My first time playing there were bosses that you could craft then kill, super duper OP weapons that I bought from towns or found on chests.
    Took me a while to find out how to zoom, and place back blocks, and when planet fragments were implemented I cried a bit because previously I never mined into a planet, all the ore was near to the surface.
    haha I remember my first time playing after traveling to a Level 10 planet, all I did was fly around till I could find a decent weapon/gun then I went back to the level 5 planets to massacre everything muhahaha!!!>